Students

Post-Graduation Plans and Woes

My FI applied to Teach for America. If he is accepted to the program, he can be assigned anywhere they need him (but he does get to give them his top choices). He won't find out until at least January. My original plan was to postpone grad school for a year, but now I am wondering if spending a whole year working at my part-time job will really be that much of a "break." However, because of FI's plans, I can't really start looking at Grad Schools until I know where I might be living after the wedding. We want to get married this summer and move together to whatever new place we end up in (whether it is for his post-grad opportunity or mine), but we can't really even set a date for the wedding until we know what our summer obligations will look like. Coordinating two people's career plans is so much more complicated than just being students in the same place. How do the rest of you do it?

Re: Post-Graduation Plans and Woes

• Yes, this is a struggle. I am a TFA alumna myself so I have gone throughout that exact process. I was assigned to a city close to home, so it worked out perfectly for us. Ironically the separation came after TFA, when I went to law school in another state. That was probably the worst year of my life. We lived apart and it sucked. After one year, the plan was for Fi to move to be with me at school, potentially just taking any old job for a couple years if he couldn't find something good. He's in finance and my law school was in the boonies. We would have done it, but thankfully I transferred into a really great law school back home in NYC after my first year. You just make the decisions as they come, and sometimes one of you, or both, needs to sacrifice. I'm not sorry for our separation that year, because we ended up in a great situation right now. Currently, our biggest dilemma is which side of the Hudson River we will live on next year... So it does get better. :) If your Fi gets into TFA, message me! I'd love to chat about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards