Registry and Gift Forum

Is it weird to register with a pattern replacement service?

I have vintage china that is quite old--I would love to add to the existing collection. Also, my silverware pattern is extremely sentimental and has been discontinued. Is it a good idea to register my old patterns with somebody like Replacements, or should I scrap it and just choose new ones?

Re: Is it weird to register with a pattern replacement service?

• edited November 2013
    If you love your china pattern and your silverware is sentimental, I would continue your search for additions to this set separate from your wedding. 

Perhaps use any money you get as wedding gifts to purchase these items. 

ETA: To answer your question - no I would not register for another pattern if you love what you have.
    *********************************************************************************

• Can you have a registry at replacements? I never thought about that...

So I love china! You may have read that on here if you are a regular :-p I had vintage china, my grandma's, when I got married. Actually I also had my great aunt's, but I gave it to my sister. I registered for a neutral china. I don't think one can have too much china - BUT this is merely MHO. 

If you love china, register for another set. Especially if you wouldn't want to use your vintage set all the time. Perhaps a set that is dishwasher safe and save the vintage stuff for the most special of occasions. But - Don't scrap it! 

Register for new silverware. I don't go for the $125 pps of silverware. Forks grow legs and walk off. Keep the sentimental for rare occasions. GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I love china too.  I have a wedding pattern, which I actually started before we got married.  However it's not entirely formal - it's got some modern lines that dresses it down a bit.  So when I ran across a much more formal pattern that I looooved on ebay for $300 (12 place settings and all the serving pieces included - it was a steal), I bought it.  So we have two "formal" sets, though the one from our wedding I would classify as more semi-formal.

Sorry, that's not answering your question at all.

I would do it at replacements - its a fab website, and if you have a link to it on your wedding website you might get some traffic.  Just don't expect to get much if you don't register for a new pattern at a big-box store.

We actually did this with our silverware (btw: silverware refers to sterling.  Flatware refers to non-sterling... I assume you are talking about sterling?).  We registered at Beverly Bremer because you can buy estate pieces there for a fraction of the cost of new.  Some of our more traditional guests got us started.  We still have a ways to go before it's complete, but I've gotten some additional pieces over the last few months for birthday gifts, etc.  I rather enjoy having something to collect.

And my mother has 4 sets of dishes.  Her best friend has 6.  I don't think it's possible to have too much china :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Go for it!  It is something you will really want and treasure and that makes for a great gift.

I love vintage stuff and think this is a cool registry option as long as you also have a more traditional registry for the people that just want to go to the store and buy something new.

• Go for it! I also love china, and I would love the idea of helping you complete your existing set!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards