Hawaii

Oahu, HI Wedding venue ideas

Hi everyone, We are planning a wedding in Oahu some time between May - June of 2014 (dates are def. flexible as of right now) We are planning on moving to Hawaii at the end of April so it doesn't leave us a whole lot of time to scope out the area in person. Do you guys have any suggestions for a good fun, casual and quaint venues? Since we are not local, it would be awesome if I could get some suggestions on good catering and decoration rentals services if these venues don't already provide them. We are planning on having a very small, intimate wedding with 30-40 guests and definitely does not want the event to be lavish or anything. I am just so confused by all the frustrating rules and regulations, hidden fees and extra charges that bounce out of nowhere it seems. (Like I was recently informed that weddings performed on any beach in Hawaii are not allowed to have chairs or decorations, if they are caught, there might be a hefty fines...( Not sure how true that is) WHAT?!? Whatever happened to the beautiful bamboo arches and chair decorations in beach wedding pictures?!?) Anyway, any help and suggestion would be much much appreciated. Thank you all! :-) ~ Ev

Re: Oahu, HI Wedding venue ideas

• Lanikuhonua is a beautiful venue that you can do arch overlooking ocean. 

• Structures are not allowed on any beaches in Hawaii, since they are public beaches.  That included chairs, arches, etc.  I believe there is also a $20 permit that you must purchase as well, though I'm not sure where you get that (i.e.. the city, parks dept., etc.) as I didn't get married on a beach.  You may have seen photos of weddings that took place on private beaches, where you could then have those structures.  I think there might be some beach space available at Paradise Cove, but I can't remember.   

We did our wedding at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach hotel in Waikiki, on their Voyager Deck.  They had a nice package that we liked, since we planned from Canada.  The deck overlooks the beach and we also did many of our photos on the beach and in Ft Derussy park which is next door.  There were a lot of places we wanted to check out, but with everyone traveling in, it just seemed easier to plan form afar a wedding all in one place versus having everyone travel all over the island for the day.  

Other popular places are Beyer Estates, Da Pink House, Ko Olina resort area, Paradise Cove (where they do Luaus), Loulu Palm Estate, Sunset Ranch, Kualoa Park (where lots of Tv/movies are filmed) and Turtle Bay on the North Shore.  Most hotels will have some sort of packages, so check their websites (there is a nice chapel on the Hilton resort too).  And remember that places which are further away (North Shore, Kualoa, etc.) will have less access to large number of vendors, or will come at a higher price for vendors to come out there.    

• We are getting married at Paradise Cove then a reception at the Coconut Club!
  • We got married at Paradise Cove and had our reception at the Coconut Club. 
  • I am planning to get married in Hawaii next year too and so far, I've only been really satisfied with what Coconut Club offered us. 

@MissMWood - how was your experience with the reception at Coconut Club? And how much did you end up spending, if you don't mind me asking?
  • MissMWoodMissMWood member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    Hi @linzadvin...We aren't married yet, not until Nov 2014!
  • Hi Ev,

We got married here in July 2013 at Kualoa Ranch. My friend at work also recently got married out here. My wedding had about 70 people, and hers about 40 (I attended hers too). We had both recently (within one or two years) moved to Oahu. They have three locations to choose from at Kualoa Ranch:

1) on the actual  ranch, overlooking the ocean, with the mountains behind you and the horses below you

2) at a small pavilion with a bar area and a lawn

3) at a rustic pavilion with a huge lawn and some of the set from various movies and tv shows on a "lake front"/enormous fish pond

The last two are near a dock; you can take a boat to a "Secret Island" peninsula on a beach and then take the boat back to the lawns for an outdoor reception. We got married on the Secret Island beach--the boat and docks are pretty awesome and photogenic, the beach is private, and the walk through mangroves is beautiful--and then had our reception by the fishpond.

We also had friends get married at Loulu Estate, on the North Shore, which was gorgeous and has a large lawn for the reception, but is on the beach as well. The sunset on their wedding was actually so beautiful that the wedding planner had to yell at us to go back to the tents.

I did not use a tent at Kualoa Ranch, and neither did my work friend. We had an older contract which was $3000, including the boat ride and the private beach and the reception lawn (there are some facilities, like bathrooms and a refrigerator). We rented chairs and tables. The coordinator at Kualoa Ranch also acts as a day-of coordinator/wedding planner for about $400.00 (at the time of my contract).

• Hi. I'm curious if you made a discussion on your venue? We're planning to do the wedding in June 2014 as well and we have no idea where to start yet. Do you know if most venues are booked for next summer already? Thanks.
  • Aloha! Here are some venues I didn't find right off the bat. I'm looking for a backyard wedding on Oahu (I live in an apt). It is proving to be expensive, but it's what I want for my wedding day/week. Try researching: tiki Moon Villas, Waimanalo Beach Cottages, and Malaekahana Beachfront Estate. They are liberal with their rules and guest list.
    I thought the Plantation Estate was very quaint but Tania, the property manager, has been mostly unprofessional (not returning my calls, disinterested when I came to visit the place (as if it didn't matter if I rented or not bc someone else would), over charging my stay in the invoice then ignoring my emails to remedy the situation). The on-site care taker is related to the owner and she was so very pleasant and helpful.
    Lmk if you find similar venues that have onside overnight accommodations for guests. Preferably out of town areas. Happy Researching!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards