May 2014 Weddings

Something's

So in taking a picture of my shoes for @ohxhi 's post, I figured I'd take the time to take a photo of my Something's: ya know, the old saying "something old, new, borrowed and blue".  I know this isn't something to go crazy and stress over, but I found it fun to figure them out, especially since we've pretty much finished booking all of our major vendors in the summer (just need to get hotel, transportation and day of stuff figured out) and have done a lot of the planning for everything.  So here's what I came up with (a few overlap the categories):

imageSomething Old: Lace from mom's wedding dress will wrap around my bouquet (it's actually the lace cape from the veil, which almost matches the lace pattern on my dress!).  I will also be using my mom's veil (just one layer of the tulle), except she's going to add some lace around the edge to get the exact look that I want. Something New: I bought a pair of earrings (forgot to include in this photo), which match the design of my engagement ring, and a hair comb. Something Borrowed: I found an old pin that was my great-grandmother's (which was in my mom's collection) and a smaller pin from my grandmother that will also go on my bouquet, just gotta clean them up a bit (the smaller one will help hold my mom's lace around the stems and the larger one will be on the bottom of the stems...I hate seeing cut stems on a wedding bouquet).  Since we're not getting married in a church I thought this was a nice "tradition" to have/do, especially since I'll be using something from each of my family's generations, one of which is no longer with us.Something Blue: My Princess Peach garter & my shoes.....also forgot to include the garter in this photo but here's a single shot of it. I'd love to know if anyone else is thinking of doing "Something's" and what you've chosen!

Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Something's

• My Something old- is my moms veil she got married in

Borrowed- earrings from a friend that match my dress

New- my dress :)

I haven't figured out my dress yet! But I am doing all the Something's!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Something Old - my jewelry (it's all stuff that FI has bought me over the years)
    Something New - my dress, shoes, and veil
    Something Borrowed - I haven't figured this out yet
    Something Blue - my Mom's wedding dress was blue so I had a piece of her dress sewn into my sash on my dress.
  • edited October 2013
    This is fun!!

Something New: My dress and possibly jewelry

Something Borrowed:  I'm actually using my MOH's veil..its a perfect match...Also putting a broach of my grandmothers on my bouquet.

Something Blue:  I'm on the hunt for blue clothing from one of my loved ones that have passed away.  My thought was to cut something blue of theirs into a heart shape and have it sown into my dress.  Preferably over my heart.  Not sure if that can be done because my dress has a lot of beading...

Something Old:  I haven't figured out yet...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @tammym1001 & @futuremrsn3312 I love the idea of sewing a blue piece of fabric from a loved one into/onto your dress somewhere!  If it can't physically be sewn in, maybe you can try using something like fusible webbing (what my mom calls it....but a brand name is Heat' n Bond (http://www.joann.com/heat-n-bond-ultra-hold-iron-on-adhesive-17inx12in/1069806.html) so that you can iron it inside your dress without worrying about trying to figure out beading & stitches with sewing.
    Anniversary

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • @ArtTeacher23 I love that stuff! My mum always called it Witch Stitchery, I think... In any case, it saved quite a few Halloween costumes and last-minute skirt hem emergencies over the years haha

• Man I will have to talk to my mom about some of these.  But here it goes:

Something New: My dress and shoes

Something Borrowed: No idea, maybe I'll talk to my mom about going through her jewelry box for earrings or something.

Something Old: Again, no idea

Something Blue: Maybe my bellybutton ring! lol  Yeah, I really have no idea lol

Anniversary
  • old-my grampas cuff link on my bouquet-he recently passed was one of the most important people in my life

new-my dress

borrowed-my grandmothers veil-1960's

blue-my great grandmothers wedding shoes from 1947

• @artteacher23 I love this! I'm glad someone posted about it! My cousin got married two weeks ago and the night before the wedding, she was still figuring things out. You're right- it's not something to stress over but it's fun!

Something Old- still working on this one. I want it to be something of my grandfather's. He was like a second father to me, so I think it's important to carry something of his. I just haven't figured out what yet.

Something New- my dress and my earrings. Which sounds boring, but they're new so I guess they don't have a story yet.

Something Borrowed- my mom is letting me wear the garter she wore when she married my dad. My parents are divorced and not on awesome terms, but it's exciting to have a little momento back from when they were happy.

Something Blue- I've been the "anti-color" bride from the very beginning - know I sound insane (maybe I am)- but this one was tough for me. Then I remembered that my great-grandmother, my Nana, used to wear a ring with a pale blue stone in it. She lived to be 101 and passed away right after I met FI. We were very close and I'm glad I can have something of hers with me that day.

We're not getting married in a church either and I like what you said about having traditional elements anyway.
  • Something Old - is a surprise from my MOH :) 
    Something New - Will be a surprise from my "almost husband" he said he has something planned to not let anything take this "new" place... minus that it will also be handmade head piece from my MOH

Something Blue - bottom of my shoes and what I wear under
    Something Borrowed  - I am stuck on as my family really never celebrated something like this and my parents and grandparents have divorced and when they both did they got rid of everything.... so again I am hoping to find something... maybe something from my great grandmother...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @ohxhi - Love you're something blue idea! I called my great-grandmother Nana too and we were really close.  We don't have much left from my great-grandmother (on my mother's side) nor my grandmother (on my dad's side) as after they passed we got rid of most of it.  My mom luckily found the pin that I will use mixed in with her jewelry!  I could ask my aunt who has some of my grandmother's jewelry, but she's in Florida and that might be hard to find something when we're miles apart lol.

@mscearce - That's so sweet that your "almost husband" has already planned a sweet something new surprise for you!

Anniversary

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • @ArtTeacher23 don't write the Aunt in Florida off without a conversation. distance always makes things harder, but relatives have a funny way of holding onto things that fit the Somethings bill.  its worth a call, she might have something that would work.   i love the pin idea though, that is so thoughtful and it's beautiful :)
  • Ok I love this thread!
    Old- Fabric from my mom dress wrapped around my bouquet and my grandma wants to sew some onto my dress
    New- My dress, Shoes
    Borrowed- My MIL has asked me to wear the pearls she wore on her wedding day
    Blue- Garter
    And don't for get the penny in your shoe!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • love this! i have been thinking a lot about this

Something old:  lace from my mom's dress wrapped around my bouqet
    Something new: well, so much is new (dress, veil, shoes, etc) but my FI and will be giving each other gifts before the ceremony and I've hinted that I'd like some "new" jewelry to wear on the big day
    Something borrowed: My mom's pearls (technically old too)
    Something blue: Blue shoes!
    imageimage">
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards