Registry and Gift Forum

My shower was on Saturday!

I was stressing about the lack of registry activity and I feel so silly for doing so.  I did receive a lot of off-registry items but they were all lovely, personal gifts that I would never have thought to register for.

I did receive duplicate sets of pyrex so I used the refund from one set plus some gift cards (sent by someone who couldn't make it) to get a 4-place setting of our china that was on sale.

I'm almost finished with my Thank You notes, I have three more to write this evening and then I just need to address the envelopes and put them in the mail.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg

Re: My shower was on Saturday!

• My shower was Sunday and it went really well too! I'm really impressed that your thank you notes are almost done already. I haven't started mine yet, but my goal is to have them all done by the end of the week. So glad you had a nice shower!
  • Favorite off-registry gift?  I love to hear about favorites....gives me ideas for gifts for people in the future.  :)
  • We only got 2 off registry gifts. One was a BBQ set and the other was a fire pit. I loved them both!
  • akosakow said:
    My shower was Sunday and it went really well too! I'm really impressed that your thank you notes are almost done already. I haven't started mine yet, but my goal is to have them all done by the end of the week. So glad you had a nice shower!
    I finished up the last three tonight and they will go in the mail tomorrow.  :)  I'm pretty proud of myself for that.  I don't remember the actual count but there were about 15 people there not including me, so I didn't have a ton of notes to write (although two people who couldn't attend sent gifts).
  • JoanE2012 said:

Favorite off-registry gift?  I love to hear about favorites....gives me ideas for gifts for people in the future.  :)

Hand written family recipes accompanying an heirloom bowl. I'm sentimental and I love to cook so win win!
    *********************************************************************************

• AprilH81 said:

And as much as I hate to play favorites, this next one may never be topped by any gift ever.  The back story...  Growing up I was not blessed with loving grandparents, they were just kinda there, not really participating in my life but not ignoring me either.  I never noticed the lack because our neighbors across the street Jo and Wally (along with a couple from church) filled that void so much that I never noticed it until I was in high school and then I didn't care so much.

In recent years Jo's health has started to decline and Wally died of a heart attack last winter.  I knew when we got engaged it would be a miracle if Jo's health permitted her to attend the wedding.

Once we decided on a January wedding I had a vague recollection of playing dress up in some fur coats when I was little so I had mom check to see if I was crazy or if that was a real memory.  It turns out that I wasn't crazy, she actually had three and that I could borrow any one I wanted to for the wedding.  After trying them on I decided to borrow a mink stole that actually belonged to HER mother.  It was in the best condition of the three and also had the best proportions for my body.

At the shower the last gift I opened was from Jo, even though she wasn't there.  She wrote a beautiful note inside of the card about how much she loved me and how she hoped that I got many years of enjoyment out of the gift. I was crying after reading the note and my sister told me that Jo wanted me to unwrap the gift one piece of tissue paper at a time, so I did.

After a zillion pieces of tissue paper (well, maybe 15) I got to the gift and it was the mink stole. At that point I just lost it.  I never imagined she would gift me with the fur, I was just honored she would let me borrow something that old and something that was her mother's.

I think most of the ladies in the room were crying with me.  :)

Man, I'm all teared up too! What a lovely gift! Go Jo :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• AprilH81 said:

And as much as I hate to play favorites, this next one may never be topped by any gift ever.  The back story...  Growing up I was not blessed with loving grandparents, they were just kinda there, not really participating in my life but not ignoring me either.  I never noticed the lack because our neighbors across the street Jo and Wally (along with a couple from church) filled that void so much that I never noticed it until I was in high school and then I didn't care so much.

In recent years Jo's health has started to decline and Wally died of a heart attack last winter.  I knew when we got engaged it would be a miracle if Jo's health permitted her to attend the wedding.

Once we decided on a January wedding I had a vague recollection of playing dress up in some fur coats when I was little so I had mom check to see if I was crazy or if that was a real memory.  It turns out that I wasn't crazy, she actually had three and that I could borrow any one I wanted to for the wedding.  After trying them on I decided to borrow a mink stole that actually belonged to HER mother.  It was in the best condition of the three and also had the best proportions for my body.

At the shower the last gift I opened was from Jo, even though she wasn't there.  She wrote a beautiful note inside of the card about how much she loved me and how she hoped that I got many years of enjoyment out of the gift. I was crying after reading the note and my sister told me that Jo wanted me to unwrap the gift one piece of tissue paper at a time, so I did.

After a zillion pieces of tissue paper (well, maybe 15) I got to the gift and it was the mink stole. At that point I just lost it.  I never imagined she would gift me with the fur, I was just honored she would let me borrow something that old and something that was her mother's.

Man, I'm all teared up too! What a lovely gift! Go Jo :)
    Yeah, Jo got a special thank you card that had some pictures from the shower, including ones of me reacting to her gift.  :)
  • AprilH81 said:
    JoanE2012 said:
    Favorite off-registry gift?  I love to hear about favorites....gives me ideas for gifts for people in the future.  :)

Some of the off-registry items I received (and I loved all of them).

My FMIL is making me a scrapbook and is doing a wonderful job.  She had me unwrap it so I could see the progress of the page templates.  She will add more after the wedding...  She also bought me a Longaberger watermelon basket that has a glass bowl so you can actually use it.  Watermelon is my favorite fruit.  :)

My sister found an Etsy artist to make a wood plaque (light cherry wood) that had my new last initial and "The "Z" Family, est. January 25, 2014".  The design was the perfect blend of rustic and modern.

My Mom (who also funded the shower that my sister/MOH hosted) bought me four BEAUTIFUL wreaths for our front door along with wreath storage totes.  There is a wreath for spring, summer, fall and Christmas.  They are so pretty I hate to use them because they will eventually get too dirty to use and I will feel sad when I have to throw them out.

This is so beautiful...I am truly sitting here in my office crying.
  • Yay!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Awwww, @AprilH81....what great gifts and what a great story!  Glad you had a good time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards