Nevada-Las Vegas

Vendor Reviews Part 2: 11-10-13 w pics

Freed’s Bakery: A-

Freed’s was not my first choice, Retro Bakery was.  However, since I got married on a Sunday, Freed’s became my only choice since the Stratosphere was unwilling to let Retro deliver on Saturday.  I was very picky about my cake.  I literally sketched a design myself.  I have to say that Freed’s delivered.  I had a three tier cake with the top tier and bottom tier being chocolate cake with their chocolate royale filling (50% chocolate fudge and 50% chocolate mousse).  It was SO rich and filling and just delicious.  I wouldn’t normally select this pairing, but my husband is a chocolate fanatic and his only request was chocolate cake with chocolate filling.  They have about a dozen different chocolate fillings, but this was a premium fill and tasted it.  The middle tier was their “signature” i.e. basic recipe which is almond cake with Bavarian cream filling.  I have to say that this was literally the best cake I have ever tasted.  OMG it was SO good.  I am on a mission to learn how to bake something similar bc my tastebuds never sand the way they did on day 2 when I sliced into that beauty.  I have them an A- because despite sending over a sketch and pictures with the EXACT way I wanted the top roses to be, they made them smaller than I had requested.  In addition, when Nancy took my order, she specifically asked me about the Z on the cake and if I wanted it to have a line through the middle.  I said yes, it’s called a Latin Z and it is symbolic of the unifying of me (Latin) with my husband’s last name (Z).  They forgot the line but my cake was still stunning anyway.  It cost $509.75

Makeup in the 702: Makeup: C- Hair: B

I reviewed them in detail in a separate post but what you need to know is that you should ask to NOT get Celina as a m/u artist.  I went back and read another knottie’s review and she did us up similarly, which was quite frankly, awful.

Hair was pretty good, but my part wasn’t even close to straight, which seems like basic hairstyling 101 knowledge.

Paid $525 for 3 people hair and m/u

Weddings Las Vegas/St. Jude’s: B+

Weddings Las Vegas helped me book St. Jude’s/Father David St. John for a Roman Catholic 2nd ceremony.  Overall I am very happy with the services received.  Father St. John spoke beautifully at my ceremony and was so very understanding of the situation (married in the AM).  I had asked via e-mail for the mention of my brother and father-in-law, both deceased and he mentioned them in his own way which was touching. 

I downgraded them because I dealt with so many people that it was confusing.  Cindy booked me, though Shani was the church rep.  The fee was split between Wedding Las Vegas ($695) and donation to church $300.  I did not get in touch with Shani until 2 days prior, which was a little nerve wracking for me.  I assumed she would be the coordinator the day of, since I was told as such, but she was not.  It was a woman named Aurora, whom I had never heard of at all.  She was one of the most unpleasant people I have ever met in my life.  She asked me if my mom understood English, a question that left me speechless.  She clearly had not even attempted speaking to her, as my mom is a US citizen, an Ivy league grad and speaks perfect English.  My guess was that she saw she was brown and pre-judged.  I had e-mailed ahead that I had specific music to walk out to and play.  My mother and I listened to about 50 versions of the traditional Bach, Mendelssohn, Pachelbel varieties to get the exact versions I liked best.  A cousin who wasn’t able to make it also recorded a version of Schubert’s Ave Maria to be played.  None of this mattered to this woman who a) did not play my versions of the songs I brought on CD and b) promptly shut off my cousin’s song because there was some slight warping in the background. 

Amanda’s photography: A+

I didn’t chose the photographer myself, Maverick did.  I searched high and low for photographers I liked, but they were either a) booked or b) wouldn’t take a helicopter flight to the Grand Canyon.  In the end, I stayed with Amanda because I figured she knew the GC the best anyway.  She was so friendly, courteous and professional.  She also came with us to the church and was just so darn nice.  I really liked her and her pics are great.  I'm posting a pic of our GC ceremony that isn't hers but I can assure you that her pictures makes the one attached eat dust.

Las Vegas Entertainment/Elvis Shane: A+

I used Gigmasters to find an Elvis after not liking my interaction with the usual suspects.  I dealt with Lisa Lyttle.  Elvis Shane came right on time with all his gear.  He was really friendly and all his hair is real J.  He gave a little introduction so it wasn’t weird for him to set up in front of everybody.  He sang the 6 songs I gave him and was feeling the vibe so much that he sang an extra 2 songs (1 that a guest requested and 1 of his favorites).  Hius dance moves were so-so, but he made up for it in personality and voice.  He stayed for pictures with all of my guests.  His fee was $200 for 30 minutes and everyone loved him.  Reception highlight for sure.

Re: Vendor Reviews Part 2: 11-10-13 w pics

• I LOVE your cake! And the shot the photographer got of it is so nice! Congratulations! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • I love your cake and it looks like you had a great view of the strip!
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • I love your cake too! I know nothing about cakes.. may I ask was the outside fondant or buttercream or something else? and what about the gold roses at the top? 
    Our wedding day also marks our 11th anniversary of being together :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The frosting is fondant.  Only way to get it so smooth.  if you haven't had fondant before it tastes disgusting and you should ask them to frost your cake in buttercream first and lay the fondant on top.  I did this and it helped with the fondant taste.

Most use fresh flowers because it is more economical, but I did gumpaste flowers.  They are edible.  Some also do sugar flowers, but not all bakers do them (freed's doesn't).  they can dye the flowers any color you want.  Mine are "candlelight" just a few shades darker than the white of the cake.
  • thank you! i've saved the pic of your cake on my computer! 
    Our wedding day also marks our 11th anniversary of being together :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards