Snarky Brides

That thumping noise is my head repeatedly banging into my desk...

BG: Big Boss is on vacation. Prior to vacation, she told us to take orders from CoWorker (CW), who is the most sr. person and would be filling in as Big Boss. CW knows her stuff, but can be impossible to get a straight answer on how to do something from. Worse, she's a micromanager who forgets her directives to you 3 minutes later- I follow up every verbal instruction with an email to confirm to cover my butt. We'd also been told to take instructions from new CoWorker (NCW, and incidentally, Big Boss's best friend) as if they were from Big Boss. NCW is smart, experienced generally, and has been here all of 2 months. End BG

Weeks ago I did an assignment that I thought did not belong in our section. Word has come down from on high that it is to be transferred to another section. NCW directed me this morning to do the recommending memo to her and CW and include the transfer letter and closing report.

Closing reports are generally done by support staff- I've never done one. Ask NCW about that, if I should contact one of the support people who handle these things (dunno if she's had a closing report yet, might not know, email very polite and deferential). Get one line back from NCW, saying basically "No, do it yourself" and indicating that was a directive from someone else (Big Boss, CW, idk) Ok. Email support staff, ask for their template, copy CW on it (she regularly supervises support staff).

Before starting recommendation, email CW asking if I should use the format we use for other kinds of memos that are similar, but distinctly seperate operations. Mention I have not done one like this before, ask if there's another format she'd prefer. CW's response (with NCW cc'ed)- any questions should go through NCW since she gave me the assignment. Whaa? Remember, NCW has been here all of 2 months, CW has been here over 6 years, and neither NCW nor I have had a transfer memo assignment in this section (CW has been here long enough to at least have SEEN prior transfer memos and say yes or no).

I feel like I'm getting the run around. Who is on first? Go to the person who passed on the assignment, or go to the person with experience? (and who has previously stated she is "mentoring" me and to come to her with questions). Side note- CW sent an email this morning that she wants 5 specific people done with tutorials for a new system by tomorrow. I'm amongst those 5. It wasn't till I inquired that it was determined I'd been left off the email with the original link to the tutorial videos.

Now to email NCW with the same question I asked CW...I'm going to need a new "bang head here" sign.

Re: That thumping noise is my head repeatedly banging into my desk...

• tl:dr.

BG: Big Boss is on vacation. Prior to vacation, she told us to take orders from CoWorker (CW), who is the most sr. person and would be filling in as Big Boss. CW knows her stuff, but can be impossible to get a straight answer on how to do something from. Worse, she's a micromanager who forgets her directives to you 3 minutes later- I follow up every verbal instruction with an email to confirm to cover my butt. We'd also been told to take instructions from new CoWorker (NCW, and incidentally, Big Boss's best friend) as if they were from Big Boss. NCW is smart, experienced generally, and has been here all of 2 months. End BG

Weeks ago I did an assignment that I thought did not belong in our section. Word has come down from on high that it is to be transferred to another section. NCW directed me this morning to do the recommending memo to her and CW and include the transfer letter and closing report.

Closing reports are generally done by support staff- I've never done one. Ask NCW about that, if I should contact one of the support people who handle these things (dunno if she's had a closing report yet, might not know, email very polite and deferential). Get one line back from NCW, saying basically "No, do it yourself" and indicating that was a directive from someone else (Big Boss, CW, idk) Ok. Email support staff, ask for their template, copy CW on it (she regularly supervises support staff).

Before starting recommendation, email CW asking if I should use the format we use for other kinds of memos that are similar, but distinctly seperate operations. Mention I have not done one like this before, ask if there's another format she'd prefer. CW's response (with NCW cc'ed)- any questions should go through NCW since she gave me the assignment. Whaa? Remember, NCW has been here all of 2 months, CW has been here over 6 years, and neither NCW nor I have had a transfer memo assignment in this section (CW has been here long enough to at least have SEEN prior transfer memos and say yes or no).

I feel like I'm getting the run around. Who is on first? Go to the person who passed on the assignment, or go to the person with experience? (and who has previously stated she is "mentoring" me and to come to her with questions). Side note- CW sent an email this morning that she wants 5 specific people done with tutorials for a new system by tomorrow. I'm amongst those 5. It wasn't till I inquired that it was determined I'd been left off the email with the original link to the tutorial videos.

Now to email NCW with the same question I asked CW...I'm going to need a new "bang head here" sign.

Anniversary

• Update: Yesterday I filed something that needed to be done. It had previously been approved by Big Boss, and CW and I had discussed the timeline for it (along with the fact that Big Boss had approved it). Sent a follow up to CW saying "I've filed approved item" so it could be checked off the list from Big Boss. This morning, have an email in my inbox saying "Did Big Boss approve this before she went on vacation?"

Evil Chipmunk wanted to respond: "I decided to live dangerously and file something that had no oversight or approval by Big Boss, risking my career with this office, CW" Instead, I went for the simple "Yes" CW either forgot our prior conversations, thinks I'm an idiot, or is deliberately messing with me. Is it Friday yet?

• I read it all. That sucks. Keep up the follow ups via email to CYA. Count days till Big Boss gets back. Apply wine liberally after work until then.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I want to sneak into your office and staple pillows on your desk so you don't concuss yourself with all the banging--which is 100% justified. Yeesh.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Just for the extra giggles....CW later reviewed the filing, and told me everything I did wrong with it, how she couldn't believe Big Boss approved it, and she wouldn't have if she had seen it. I pierced my tongue biting it to keep from reminding her that I HAD sent the filing to her for her review, a month prior, and she never said a word...

Last week, CW gave me additional assignment. Basically "read this over and draft something for it based on document A." No indication that it was urgent. Email was sent 5 pm on Wednesday with Friday due date.

It completely slipped my mind until CW called at 4:30 on Friday. Panic attack ensued. Managed to pull together what she wanted. (Note: assignment is for a case that is not mine. Assignment potentially very important. I'm weighing this as either she wanted to let me have a chance to practice drafting something like this, or she feels her time is too valuable to spend taking the time to put it together. Based on the document she gave me, (same stuff, different parties), I got it done in 30. It would have taken her 10). I see CW this morning- she tells me she redid the whole thing, that while the version off Document A was good, she decided to go with a style found in Document B (note, not a document she gave me). I now believe the woman is trying to give me a heart attack.

On a bright note, Big Boss is back tomorrow!

• Sounds like you and Big Boss both deserve some cookies! (And probably a cocktail too.)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards