Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

professional or not- dress alterations

I bought a dress from David's Bridal a few months ago and when I bought it they set me up with their alterations department for this December to have my hem taken up (I'm so short) Since then I have had a family friend offer to hem my dress for free.  Now she isn't just someone who crafts she is a retired seamstress (sp?) and I have seen some of her work on jeans not so fancy stuff, but this is my wedding dress.  So my question is, do you think it is a good idea for me to let her hem me up for free or should I shell out the $200 ish (that's what I was told it might cost when I was at the store buying the dress) to get it done buy a professional. 

My gut is telling me to take it back to DB b/c if they screw it up then I can bitch to have them fix it, and I could not do this to my family friend.  But then my coupon clipping side says it's just the bottom of a damn dress that I am going to wear for a few hours whats the big deal?

Experience, Advice?  Oh and I actually had a great experience with DB, so I am not concerned with them being rude and or shitty service, they were fantastic before even when I said I was a budget bride.

Re: professional or not- dress alterations

• Options
    It sounds like you're worried this will get screwed up and if you take it to your friend you'll have to tip-toe around mitigating it because of taking the friendship into consideration. It depends on the dress - the material, the complexity, and the styling on how complicated it would be. The more complicated, the higher the risk. 

Personally, I think it boils down to two things: 1) your budget (if you can afford it, I'd have DB's do it); and 2) how complicated the hem would be and therefore how risky it is to have someone else do it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Sweetheart-Fit-and-Flare-Wedding-Gown-9V3476

this is my dress if that helps.  I can afford to get it done professionally I was just wondering is it really worth the money, because it's just a hem. I think I may be overthinking it just a touch :)
  • Options
    I'm not a seamstress so I'm not sure but that is an absolutely beautiful dress!!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    My hem had to be redone.  It was my fault, I forgot my shoes for the fitting and the loaner ones they gave me were too high.  However, when they discovered the dress was still too long they fixed it right then and there at no additional cost.  Also, I had a pick up skirt which means they don't actually hem the bottom, they tack the pick up's up higher, if that makes any sense.  What I'm saying is that it may not be as simple as just hemming it.  If your friend has experience with formal wear and bridal gowns that's one thing but if her work was limited to slacks, sleeves and simple dress hems you might want to bypass her.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JMalettasJMalettas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
     Personally, I would pay the extra to have David's Bridal do it professionally, for peace of mind if anything! That way, you know that you won't have to worry, and in the event that something does happen, you know the problem will be fixed for free, & regardless, you will have the dress the way you want it the day of your wedding. I just wouldn't risk anything happening, then having personal issues you need to deal with beyond the wedding, because of it. Not to mention, likely having to pay to have the dress fixed in the event something goes wrong, anyways. 

My vote is for Davids Bridal, for sure!

Good luck!

*J
  • Options
    thanks ya'll. professional it is.

southernbelle0915 thanks I thought it was pretty too, it wasn't my favorite to begin with (it was FI favorite) but once I tried it I loved it.
  • Options
    has this friend worked with dresses before. my  late grandma was a seamstress for years she worked in a factory where they produced dresses and coats for women. she did all the hemming on my flower girl dresses when i was a kid and all kinds of dresses..

can you also look outside of davids bridal you may be able to find a cheeper place to do alterations davids can be high in prices for alterations. i know some small salons will charge less.
  • Options
    Personally due to the train & and how the fabric is rouged (sp?) I would tak it to bridal shop. My mom is a retired seamstree herself and she did all the alterations for my BM (they only needed their dresses hemmed) but I paid to have mine done (details of my dress was too complicated for my mom and she never did a bustle before either).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards