Wedding Woes

Future In-law Craziness- or am I the crazy one?

Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I have been living together for over 1 year now, and we also live with my 3 year old daughter. We live in a relatively large 2 bedroom apartment in New York City. Anyway, for Thanksgiving, my boyfriend's parents are coming to visit. They are fairly wealthy and, initially we recommended a nice, affordable hotel for them to stay at near our place. Well, they left booking the hotel to the last minute, and then all the cheap/nice hotels were already full. So I decided to invite them to just stay with us. I knew that was what they really wanted anyway. So we did, and they accepted. We figured my daughter could sleep in the living room for a couple of nights in a little mini-bed thing she has. Well, afterwards, I found out that they are planning to stay for FIVE nights (from Wednesday until MONDAY). Also, it is becoming clear that extended overnight stays are something his family will expect from time to time. 

So then I told my boyfriend, "I'll be okay with this if we can just get a full futon for the living room. Then you and I can comfortably sleep out there, and I'll go along with everything else. And then we'll have it for all the future visits too." He agreed to the futon, and we bought it today. But now he is suddenly super mad that we had to spend money on it, and that he had to spend the time and energy (which was like 1 hr) putting it together. He says that I am being high maintenance in demanding it, and that we could have just slept on an air mattress or in the extra bed in our daughter's room. Granted, the futon did turn out to be more expensive than we originally thought, but I feel like it's a fair compromise for me getting comfortable with having his relatives stay here for such extended lengths of time.  

Anyway, is this totally crazy? Am I being really demanding? 

Re: Future In-law Craziness- or am I the crazy one?

• First of all, unless you're engaged, they're not your future inlaws.

Second of all, no, you're not being unreasonable but your BF is. If he wants them to stay with you for FIVE NIGHTS (I am solidly in the fish and houseguests should be thrown out after three days category), then yes, you need a futon that can become a real bed for those five days.

With a futon, you can fold it up during the day and unfold it at night. You cannot (easily) do that with an air mattress.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Tell him he can sleep on the couch, and you'll sleep in your daughter's room with her. ;)

• dani211 said:
    Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I have been living together for over 1 year now, and we also live with my 3 year old daughter. We live in a relatively large 2 bedroom apartment in New York City. Anyway, for Thanksgiving, my boyfriend's parents are coming to visit. They are fairly wealthy and, initially we recommended a nice, affordable hotel for them to stay at near our place. Well, they left booking the hotel to the last minute, and then all the cheap/nice hotels were already full. So I decided to invite them to just stay with us. I knew that was what they really wanted anyway. So we did, and they accepted. We figured my daughter could sleep in the living room for a couple of nights in a little mini-bed thing she has. Well, afterwards, I found out that they are planning to stay for FIVE nights (from Wednesday until MONDAY). Also, it is becoming clear that extended overnight stays are something his family will expect from time to time. 

So then I told my boyfriend, "I'll be okay with this if we can just get a full futon for the living room. Then you and I can comfortably sleep out there, and I'll go along with everything else. And then we'll have it for all the future visits too." He agreed to the futon, and we bought it today. But now he is suddenly super mad that we had to spend money on it, and that he had to spend the time and energy (which was like 1 hr) putting it together. He says that I am being high maintenance in demanding it, and that we could have just slept on an air mattress or in the extra bed in our daughter's room. Granted, the futon did turn out to be more expensive than we originally thought, but I feel like it's a fair compromise for me getting comfortable with having his relatives stay here for such extended lengths of time.  

Anyway, is this totally crazy? Am I being really demanding? 

Return the futon; you sleep on the couch, he sleeps on the floor or an air mattress, your daughter sleeps in her room, his parents sleep in your room. Or your daughter sleeps on the couch and you take her room. Either way, he's on the floor or on an air mattress.
  • So, I'm going to take a more global look than who sleeps where. In fact, screw the guest issue.

So it's becoming apparent that the extended stay is the expectation. How has your FI weighed in to this issue? Does he bother? Or is it just the tacit "this is the way it's going to be, get used to it, honey"

He compromises with you by getting the futon. You know, to maintain the win-win facet of the situation.

Then he gets in a total snitburger over it, that even your three year old might pull. if 3 year olds could assemble futons.

Am I detecting a pattern here?
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • the futon should stay it great when you have unxpecected guests but was there one that was maybe less expensive and you can exchange for that one
  • I think the futon should stay. If they are expected to have extended stays in the future it's a great investment.

Also what hyechica81 - for your unexpected guests that end up staying over or something.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards