Snarky Brides

How long is too long to wait on a contract?

I last met with my (supposed) decorator on September 25. This is when I told her that I would like to book her for our wedding and she said that she would do up a quote and contract for me. It has now been two months and no sign of a contract. I contacted her again on October 16 and November 4 and was told both times that it was "almost ready." My question is, how long is a reasonable amount of time to do up a contract? It is for decor and flowers. Also, how do I go about contacting her about it again? I don't want to seem like a bridezilla.

Re: How long is too long to wait on a contract?

• When is your wedding? If it's anytime within the next 12 to 18 months, I'd be done with her after that, honestly.

I'd send her an e-mail and say, 'Based on your non-responsiveness, I have chosen to use another decorator for our wedding. Although I liked [X, Y, Z] about you, I feel that your unresponsiveness, your inattention to my business, and your general attitude are not conducive to a good working relationship.'

You're not being a bridezilla. Two months is completely ridiculous. Unless your wedding is years away, she's being unprofessional. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Wow, that sounds waaaaaay too long. All of my vendors got back to me with contracts with in days. I would say find another decorator, but see what others say.
  • I agree-- 2 weeks top would be acceptable in my mind/ not two months!  again depending on how far away the wedding is, but either way if they are professional they have an outline of a contract and all they need to do is enter the personal details.  That should not take too long.  I would communicate one more time and say if you do not have a contract by this date (i would not give more than a week) then you are going to assume they are not interested in having you as a customer and you are going to take your business elsewhere.   

Anniversary
  • When is your wedding? If it's anytime within the next 12 to 18 months, I'd be done with her after that, honestly.

I'd send her an e-mail and say, 'Based on your non-responsiveness, I have chosen to use another decorator for our wedding. Although I liked [X, Y, Z] about you, I feel that your unresponsiveness, your inattention to my business, and your general attitude are not conducive to a good working relationship.'

You're not being a bridezilla. Two months is completely ridiculous. Unless your wedding is years away, she's being unprofessional. 
    Please do this, I'm willing to bet that her lack of professionalism will not end here. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

100% Agree. 

• If she can't even respond to your emails, how is she going to do when she actually have work to do? I would send Friday's wording (fabulous) and keep it moving.

Totally agree! You've been very patient. That's a long time to wait for a contract. I wouldn't want to do business with someone like that. 
  • Yep. Move on and find a new vendor.
  • Sounds like you are getting a very good idea of how she conducts business and will continue to conduct business. Count you blessings that you found out before money has been paid and you are stuck with this.
  • I personally give them 1 month starting the day after I tell them I want to book them. If I tell them on a Saturday then starting Sunday they have 1 month. I will check in with them after 2 weeks if I still didn't get one. After the month is over, if there is no contract, I move on.
  • Run, don't walk, to another vendor. This one is not worth your time. As PP said, very likely you'd get the same kind of service (or lack thereof)
  • Yup, find a new vendor.
    My flowers one promised to get me the invoice days after we met. It was 2 weeks, so I emailed her and just said "hey I know this time of year is crazy, but do you have the invoice?"
    She immediately got back to me and apologized for the delay.

That's how your vendor should have responded. If they can't be bothered to help you now, I would find another vendor.
  • Definitely move on to a new vendor. I would be too nervous closer to the wedding that things would not be getting done on time. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Its a bad sign.  Move on.
  • Beyond unprofessional. I couldn't trust her. Move on.
  • I agree with all the others on this one.  My vendors got back to me anywhere from a couple hours to a maximum of a couple days.  This is a bad sign! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards