Plus-Sized

trying on dresses, excited and not wanting to at the same time.

I am wondering at what point should you start looking for a dress? Our date is not set in stone just yet till we make sure there is a venue for the date but its looking like May 2015. 

Also I'm BBW 45 and not to happy with the way I look. I don't think to many are. How do I know what style will look good on my body type? I tend to be more drawn to Alines. I'm also incredibly nervous that when I go to try on dresses I'm am going to feel bad about myself by the time I leave because they are not going to have things in my size to try on. I'm not sure how to overcome that anxiety yet. My sisters are asking when I want to go do this and am I excited and truth is it gives me a stomach ache thinking about how bad I will feel about my body when I leave. 

We also have a theme so I would like to kind of pick something that will go with that. We are doing Victorian steampunk. We already have picked out what the guys will be wearing. :)

Re: trying on dresses, excited and not wanting to at the same time.

• dramamonkeydramamonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited November 2013
    @Dinayarose - most places recommend purchasing at minimum about 6 months out. 

There is a growing market of dress shops that cater to plus size brides - I know I went to one while shopping and it was amazing to try on dresses where the "sample size" was on average a size 20+. 

No matter where you go, before you go to dress shops, ask them if they have sample size gowns in plus sizes. If they don't, find another store. David's Bridal usually has a number of plus size dresses (but personally I didn't like shopping there - got my dress at a "regular" bridal salon, but only because that was where my favorite dress was. If I had found a dress I LOVED at the plus size boutique, I DEFINITELY would have bought there - even went there to buy a wrap when I needed one. 

ETA: The plus size shop I went to was Curvaceous Couture - it's in Columbia, MD (half way between Baltimore and DC)
  • I totally dreaded dress shopping and put it off as long as possible. My DOC recommended ordering no less than 9 months out. You definitely need to find a bridal shop that carries plus-sized samples. You can try to get recommendations on your local board or call stores in your area and ask if they carry samples you will be able to put on. Once you get in the store, a good consultant will help you try on dresses to flatter your size and shape. You will try on some dresses you hate, too, but that's part of the process of finding what works best for you. Dress shopping isn't nearly as scary as it sounds. Good luck finding your dress!
  • I'm looking at June of 2015. Does anyone think now is too soon to start? I'm as confused about when is too soon as the OP

To the OP- I agree about making sure they have plus size sample sizes!!! Also I'm sure you are going to hate some dresses and feel like a tablecloth and LOVE some dresses!! Try and love yourself (I know that's so hard sometimes!!) and remember that your FI loves you!
  • One of the things that I've found, is looking for dresses that have rouching in the bodice, because that gave me curves that have been hidden for years! Also, a dropped waist tends to elongate the torso. Good luck, and try to love yourself, you're worth it!
  • I'm looking at June of 2015. Does anyone think now is too soon to start? I'm as confused about when is too soon as the OP To the OP- I agree about making sure they have plus size sample sizes!!! Also I'm sure you are going to hate some dresses and feel like a tablecloth and LOVE some dresses!! Try and love yourself (I know that's so hard sometimes!!) and remember that your FI loves you!
    I wouldn't buy a dress until at most a year out. A lot changes in that time. You can browse pictures of dresses and get an idea, but don't go trying them on. Or you can, but don't pay for them.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • yes go to only places that have true plus sizes i was  was lucky enough to find a place that i could try on more than one gown about 15 and fell in love with it. if you are in the new england area i can give you a huge listing of places to check out

some designers that do plus size lines

mori lee has a line called juletta up to size 30-32
    calista only plus sizes
    bonny has a unforgetable line with lots of plus size options some with sleeves and higher laced backs
    allure women 

those are some popular plus size lines all designers carry sizes up to a 24-32 depending on the designer 

• Just remember you will find a dress! :-) It's stressful right? I ended up finding one so much faster than I thought!

Feel free to read my blog post on where I went!
    http://afusionwedding.com/quite-plus-size-bride-tries-wedding-dresses/

It might calm your nerves. :-)
  • I ended up getting mine at a plus-size-friendly salon (Anya Bridal in Atlanta). Some people swear by David's Bridal, but I wasn't thrilled with their selection. Call first to make sure they have dresses you can actually try on.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards