Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Appetizer Count

We are trying to determine the average or correct number of appetizers per person for a cocktail hour before a buffet dinner offering. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!!!

Re: Appetizer Count

• Options
    We are trying to determine the average or correct number of appetizers per person for a cocktail hour before a buffet dinner offering. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!!!

You'll probably need to ask your caterer. Everything depends on the type of appetizer (are they passed by waiters, or out on a table? Hot app or cold app? One bite size, or larger?)

I would say 5 pieces per person, minimum, if they are waiter passed. Much more if you're having them set out on a table where folks can grab freely.

• Options
    This depends on 1) how long you want to serve them, 2) number of guests, 3) what you decide to serve and what counts as a unit (i.e. is it one mini quiche or a whole slider), 4) the time of day, 5) passed or stations, etc. Your caterer should be able to provide a recommendation based on all that - it's their specialty. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    ok thanks to you both...had hoped there was a "formula" that would give us an idea...would be on a table, not passed and not sure on sizes of the items.  I will ask the experts!
  • Options
    For an hour cocktail hour (that sounds funny) I would say 5 pieces per person.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    were doing 4 butler passed apps 2 hot 2 cold. there will also be a cheese/fruit display, vegetable crudité...and a raw bar(FH insisted) lol but that is for roughly an 1.5 hours for around 150 people between 6:30-8 p.m. if that helps at all... usually caterers offer different packages depending on your budget...good luck :)
  • Options
    Standard formula is 4-6 pieces per person for one hour if dinner will be served afterward. Also nice to have a stationary display of cheeses, veggies, fruit or something similar if you're concerned people will be hungry when they get there and want a little more,
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards