Wedding Invitations & Paper

How to address invites with no inner envelope??

The invitation I selected does not come with an option to order an inner envelope.  Does anyone know the proper way to address the outer envelope so it is clear who is invited to the wedding? 

For example, I have some families where both the parents and the children are invited.  Do you address the envelope to the parents and family, or just the parents? 

Also, with single guests how do you let them know they are allowed to bring a guest?

Re: How to address invites with no inner envelope??

• For families, write out the names of each guest.

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    Michael and Wendy

For people bringing a guest, just address it to your friend, then inside include a note letting them know they can bring a guest.
  • I'm coming up with the same issue!!
    I think I'll address envelopes to the persons's name - Jane Smith - and not list 'and guest' because that just seems weird.
    I also have a little problem thinking that some people will bring their kids when we did not invite the kids, so on the RSVP card, I'm considering having the blank for the names and another blank that says 'we've reserved ___ seats for you' and fill in 2 or whatever the appropriate number is.
    HTH
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_address-invites-inner-envelope?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:82d45a6e-a1e4-4445-843e-f8ae7ba889f1Post:7cecc9df-d55b-46a3-9220-aed30cbee835">Re: How to address invites with no inner envelope??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm coming up with the same issue!! I think I'll address envelopes to the persons's name - Jane Smith - and not list 'and guest' because that just seems weird. I also have a little problem thinking that some people will bring their kids when we did not invite the kids, so on the RSVP card, I'm considering having the blank for the names and another blank that says 'we've reserved ___ seats for you' and fill in 2 or whatever the appropriate number is. HTH
    Posted by EllenG27[/QUOTE]

This is not a good idea.

1) Not addressing the invitation to the guest means that Jane cannot bring a guest.  You need to indicate that she's welcome to bring a guest by including this on an enclosure card or on the envelope.

2) Writing in a __ seats reserved can backfire.  It means that if you invite a couple and not their child, the wife can bring the child if the husband isn't available.   If you really want to be specific, write out the response cards with the guests' names on them leaving them to just check __accepts or __declines next to their names.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards