Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

PHOTO DISASTER :(

our wedding started a half hour late due to important guests being late. Looking back now I wish we would have just started without them!

So because of the late start our hour of photos after the ceremony got cut down to 20 minutes! So I just got our pics back and there are no typical B&G pics.
There are only a few of just us and they're waist up and from far away. So you can't really see my dress, the train, the whole look. I am so upset because I LOVED my dress, it was very unique and just beautiful. We got married in a beautiful historic theater and photos were supposed to be done inside the theater but because of short time we ended doing them in the lobby as soon as the receiving line was done. So the pics not only don't capture us but also don't show the beautiful theater. I am beyond disappointed. I regret that in the moment I didn't put my foot down and say screw it, if we're late to dinner so what I want our pics. But it became very overwhelming with my coordinator and everyone yelling at me to hurry up, cuz dinner was being served soon. I am so sad about this.

So would it be weird to do a photo shoot for us? Just to take a few photos that really showcase the dress and us together?
My dress was so special to me and I just really want photos that you show it more and in better detail. And also want a shot of just us, full body.

Here's a photo of the theater and in not one picture do you see this beauty. I trusted my photog would realize how beautiful this venue is and would want to photograph it. We really should have taken photos on the stage with this in the background.. ugh I am so upset.

Re: PHOTO DISASTER :(

• jchambers4jchambers4 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2013

another photo of my venue. Our ceremony was on the stage.

How lovely would it have been to have a photo of the ceremony from this view?!?
    There were 2 photogs...I figured one would've gotten this shot!

I didn't realize I should've requested shots, I thought the photog would get these. Aren't they supposed to have the "eye"? She is super artistic and showed so much excitement to photograph at this venue. I just cannot believe she didn't get any shots of the venue. All shot of the ceremony are from ground level so the back drop is just he black curtain.

• I'm sorry. I feel like photos are the easiest thing to be disappointed with (and I'm a photog, but not weddings) when it comes to weddings. You have this idea in your head of how they will look, how you will look and how many you can cram into a short amount of time.

I don't think it is weird to do a post wedding shoot. If you want the photos and it won't bother you that they aren't from the wedding day, do it. Bridal portraits taken before the wedding and trash the dress sessions are very common. So why not what you are proposing.

It is difficult for a photog to get all the required shots in 20 mins. Assuming you are talking about not having the posed photos you wanted. For lurkers, this is why we did a "first look." We got all the photos we wanted BEFORE the wedding and were never rushed.

As far as having the wide shot...how long was your ceremony? Most photogs would be more concerned with having the up close photos than have the 2nd shooter shoot from so far away. If they had been up there shooting you would not have gotten a closer photo you would have wanted, I'm betting. It would have taken time to go up there after you came down the aisle - bc you want an image of you and an image of the groom. Then they have to get back down before the kiss and that can be tough with most ceremonies only lasting 15 mins or less. It would have been a great shot, but I'm guessing you would have given up a lot of images - hoping this makes you feel better about not having it. And you would have been super small in the pic. Lurkers, if you envision something like this, tell your photog so they get the pic you want. They aren't mind readers. They will be more concerned with documenting the ceremony than a photo like this.

Tell her you are disappointed and she might offer to do the shoot for free.
    I'm sorry you are disappointed. I know how you feel, despite everything I did to ensure I got what I wanted (and with all my pro knowledge) I still had some disappointments with my photos bc of how I thought they would shoot. I really projected my "eye" and no one sees things exactly the same.
    =)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• No joke, my coworker just got her photos back and she is very disappointed because the B&G pictures were not very interesting/creative. Another coworker used to do wedding photography professionally, so she is going to do a mini-shoot with them this Saturday; they'll be dressing back up and going somewhere to do a shoot of just the two of them so they can do all the fun photos she missed out on.
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013

our wedding started a half hour late due to important guests being late. Looking back now I wish we would have just started without them!

So because of the late start our hour of photos after the ceremony got cut down to 20 minutes! So I just got our pics back and there are no typical B&G pics.
    There are only a few of just us and they're waist up and from far away. So you can't really see my dress, the train, the whole look. I am so upset because I LOVED my dress, it was very unique and just beautiful. We got married in a beautiful historic theater and photos were supposed to be done inside the theater but because of short time we ended doing them in the lobby as soon as the receiving line was done. So the pics not only don't capture us but also don't show the beautiful theater. I am beyond disappointed. I regret that in the moment I didn't put my foot down and say screw it, if we're late to dinner so what I want our pics. But it became very overwhelming with my coordinator and everyone yelling at me to hurry up, cuz dinner was being served soon. I am so sad about this.

So would it be weird to do a photo shoot for us? Just to take a few photos that really showcase the dress and us together?
    My dress was so special to me and I just really want photos that you show it more and in better detail. And also want a shot of just us, full body.

Here's a photo of the theater and in not one picture do you see this beauty. I trusted my photog would realize how beautiful this venue is and would want to photograph it. We really should have taken photos on the stage with this in the background.. ugh I am so upset.

Honestly, sounds like your photographer was part of the problem, not just the lack of time.  Why in the world would they just take waist up photos? 

Also, I wouldn't get all dressed up again for more photos.  I love my photos for the look and emotion on our faces that day.......not something I would get after the fact.  I'd just pick the best one or two, frame them and call it a day.  However in the end, it's your choice....do what makes you happy.

• I would definitely get dressed up and do the photos over again, people are doing it all the time now. 
  • I feel your pain! My photographer lost a huge chunk of our wedding photos.. I'm doing pics again, and don't let other ppl talk you out of it! Some folks will be annoyed, but if you want those photos, get ur dress back on and do it!
  • awe thanks everyone. I thought I'd get ripped apart on this post. it's so nice that you all can understand how I am feeling. I will most definitely do some more photos of just us.

Thanks for the support and positive feedback.

• awe thanks everyone. I thought I'd get ripped apart on this post. it's so nice that you all can understand how I am feeling. I will most definitely do some more photos of just us.

Thanks for the support and positive feedback.

We're here to listen and help! Enjoy your reshoot :)

• Make the most out of the shoot!  Go somewhere fabulous that you wouldn't have had time to that day.  Have your hair and make-up done again.  Make it another special day for the two of you! 
  • Aww that's too bad! I would be so upset if there were basically no photos of just me & my groom. I would get dressed up again and take some more pics in your beautiful venue, go for it!
  • jchambers4jchambers4 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    So our venue decided to let us re-do photos at no charge which is awesome because they normally charge A LOT to get the theater for a couple hours. I explained the situation and they were understanding!! So now I just have to find the right photographer!! I am so nervous to choose one!! Thank you all for your support and encouragement!! :-)

• So our venue decided to let us re-do photos at no charge which is awesome because they normally charge A LOT to get the theater for a couple hours. I explained the situation and they were understanding!! So now I just have to find the right photographer!! I am so nervous to choose one!! Thank you all for your support and encouragement!! :-)
    AWESOME! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards