Interfaith Weddings

Pagan-Mormon marrying an Agnostic

My FH is agnostic, and I am a Mormon-raised Pagan. My father's family is heavily Catholic and has no idea of my religion, but I'm wanting to incorporate some Pagan aspects into the ceremony, such as handfasting. I am immensely torn about if I should:1) go purely with what my FH and I want 2) make it more mixed-company friendly or 3) just do a normal public ceremony, and later do a private ceremony.
I do NOT like #3 personally, because it feels like I have to hide myself to be accepted. It feels very wrong to me. Any thoughts, ideas, opinions?

Re: Pagan-Mormon marrying an Agnostic

• edited December 2011
    I know this post is several months old, but if you'd still like an opinion, here it is:

Are you hiding your religion from your father and his side of the family? If so, then you're already hiding yourself to be accepted. Do you think they would be accepting about your religion? If not, then it'll be hard to incorporate handfasting and other pagan things into your ceremony without it seeming odd. However, if your or your FH have Scottish roots, you could incorporate the handfasting as a nod to the Scottish heritage. Doing it outdoors would also make it easier to sneak pagan elements into the ceremony.

Honestly, it's your wedding. It's both a celebration of your love and a representation of your relationship. Will you be happy compromising on a ceremony that isn't 100% you just to make your family happy? If you're afraid of your father and his family boycotting your wedding or not speaking to you anymore, you may want to have 2 ceremonies. Otherwise, I think you should do whatever you and your FH want. Unless your father is paying...then you really should be talking about this with him (or else having 2 ceremonies).

Other things to think about: What kind of wedding is your father's family expecting from you? You should find an officiant who has experience with all sorts of ceremonies from pagan to handfasting to civil and to religious. They should have experience with dealing with interfaith couples and their familes, and have some good advice and tips.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards