Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Hair Won't Hold a Curl

I have long, thick, wavy hair. It has never held a curl. I've tried different sizes of curling iron, rollers, and recently I tried curling with a flat iron... I failed. 

Does anyone know a way to get my stubborn hair to hold curls all day?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hair Won't Hold a Curl

• Options
    I don't have any suggestions for DIY hair, but my stick straight hair refuses to hold a curl for me and somehow the beauty salon always manages to get it to hold.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    A lot of back-combing and hairspray. Any salon will be able to make it happen for you. I'm not kidding when I say hairspray though...LOTS of hairspray.
  • Options
    I don't have any suggestions for DIY hair, but my stick straight hair refuses to hold a curl for me and somehow the beauty salon always manages to get it to hold.
    Ditto.  A good stylist can work wonders!  My hair held from 8am until I went to bed at 3am.
  • Options
    I have the same problem. Last year I was a bridesmaid and the hairstylist used a flat iron - the curls held all night. I didn't think it would work because whenever I try it doesn't stay, but it did!! 
  • Options
    They use curl holding sprays before they curl & spray after.  I think Redkin makes one that I've seen them use. 
  • Options
    My hair doesn't hold a curl. Beeswax makes my hair hold anything though. My hair is the type of straight that people pay money for, but won't curl for anything! But the beeswax (it comes in a deodorant like tube) makes my hair do whatever I want!
  • Options
    My hair is thick and super straight. Whenever I do my own hair, I use a flatiron and hairspray after. Use extra strong types.
  • Options
    I also have the super straight, thick hair. Like deannagirly said, the type that people pay a lot of money for or spend a lot of time with flat irons every morning to get. But, like everyone else here, I have never been able to get it to hold a curl. When I was about 10 years old, I even went to get a spiral perm (hey, it was the 80's), but even that fell out within a week. But, I have usually had a lot of luck with getting the pros to make it hold for a while. Usually with the help of an obscene amount of hairspray. I debated doing my own wedding hair, since I want relatively simple style (half-up with soft curls), but figured I should get it professionally done just to make sure that it holds all day.

• Options
    Only two things have ever gotten my thick hair to hold curls:
    Braiding when wet (probably not the look you're going for)
    And something a salon used on me that smelled like pickle juice. That stuff held like nobody's business.

But the weight of your hair is also a factor in getting it to hold a curl or wave for any real length of time--have you tried trimming or layering it to remove some of the weight?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards