Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Honeymoon year after wedding?

Is that a unusual thing to do? I am getting married in 7 months(short engagement) and my mom is paying for the wedding not honeymoon. Which doesn't bother me. I think that's generous she is helping us. but with credit card bills from car repairs. We cannot afford to go on honeymoon right after wedding. I work at a school so time off must be June and August. Has anyone gone on their honeymoon way past their wedding date? It just sucks is all.

Re: Honeymoon year after wedding?

• Options
    We could just go on a mini-moon nearby for the week and still have enough saved up for a nicer honeymoon.
  • Options

No, not odd at all. We're waiting until February after getting married in October, but the only reason we did it that quickly is that we really want to see the Northern Lights, so we couldn't wait any later in the year to go up to Scandinavia.

Also, he only took one day off after our wedding and I took two. We spent the time hanging out with friends who came from out of town. It's nbd not going somewhere after the wedding -- in fact, it was happier for me because I planned the whole wedding and have now planned the entire honeymoon, so it would have been really stressful having to plan both. I also like that my passport is in my married name now because I waited to get mine renewed until after I changed my name with the state and federal governments.

• Options

Not weid and definitely becoming more common...FSIL did her honeymoon in January after a July wedding because they were going to South America and wanted to be there in the summer rather than the winter (since their seasons are opposite of ours), and cause FBIL had just started a new job that year and wanted to wait for the next calendar year so that he'd have enough PTO to pull the trip off.  There are all sorts of reasons for doing this.

FI and i are waiting until the following Friday to leave for our honeymoon, and we're planning to work the Monday - Thursday riht after the wedding...no big deal (we're getting married where we currently live, so no travel is necesary).  We're going away for 2+ weeks, and those dates just worked the best for us.

Depending on where you go, just be cautious of using "honeymoon packages" at some hotels/resorts - i have a honeymoon package at one of my hotels, and in order to qualify for it i have to show them a copy of the marriage certificate, and it has to be less than a year old.  So if you get a deal like that make sure you have the appropriate amount of time to stay in compliance - or else you may wind up paying a lot more than you bargained for (our deal includes 50% off the hotel stay, plus meals and spa services that wouldn't otherwise be included - i wouldn't want to lose all of that).

• Options
    We did ours 13 months after we got married. We were not sure where we wanted to go. When we decided DH had just gotten a job and had no vacation so we waited until Thanksgiving time. We did go away the week after our wedding because I had a work trip overseas. So being a work trip it was not a romantic HM. We call that our minimoon. We did stay an extra 5 days by ourselves.
  • Options
    Not unusual. That's probably what we'll do since my fiancé will still be a student and we can't leave for a honeymoon right away. We'll probably have a mini-moon (romantic weekend somewhere to relax), but will travel when schedule won't be as much as an issue. 
  • Options
    Aboslutely nothing wrong with doing that.  My fiance and I are just going to go somewhere close right after our wedding for a night or two and then we are going to go on a cruise about 5 months after we get married.  We don't want to have to rush the morning after our wedding, so we figured it better to wait a few months.

• Options
    If you want to take a big trip, it doesn't matter when it is.  We take a big trip every year-it's ok that its not a "honeymoon."  I guess what I'm saying is that to me, a honeymoon is right after the wedding, after "right after" it's simply a vacation (which doesn't really matter-you don't need an excuse to take a great vaca with your husband).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards