Honeymoon Discussions

Italy in November

Has anyone ever been to Italy during late October/early November? I'm not too concerned about being in a bikini for our honeymoon, but I was wondering if it was like Chicago weather (quickly cold in morning, pretty warm afternoon, chilly evening). I heard some locations are, but I was hoping to hear from someone who has actually been to Italy. 

I'm thinking we would be traveling around Italy for 10 days, so we wouldn't be hunkered down at one city the entire time.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
Funny Awkward animated GIF

Re: Italy in November

• i went mid-October and the weather was variable based on where we were...it was a bit chilly (and rainy) when we were in Milan and Venice, but warmer as we got towards Florence and Rome.  We went out during the day without jackets in Rome.  I had just a light jacket with me the rest of the time.  It wasn't ever below 55 degrees or so.  If you're from Chicago, 55 probably sounds amazing for October, so I think you'll be ok. :-)
  • It does right now! Mornings are now low 20's with a high of 40's mid day. 55 sounds wonderful at this time of year now!
  • alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited November 2013
    No but I've been in January and was fine in rome and Florence. It was cold but not il cold. You can look online for average temps and then bring layers. I've also been in mid October twice and the weathers great. IMO don't let chilly keep you from going.

• I was just in Italy last month and it was pretty cold in most places. The warmest day we had was in Venice, it was around 50 during the day and then dropped to high 30's at night. The other cities we went to in northern Italy were mid 40's during the day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Tulips29 , did you go to anywhere else besides Venice? Now I'm wondering what cities are the must-visit cities when going to Italy. 
  • @Kelcita21 We flew to Milan and then went to Venice, Florence, Siena day trip from Florence, La Spezia (did an amazing hike there with unbelievable views) and then went back to Milan. Milan weather was the worst for us, it rained the first day we got there and the last day we were there. The other cities were nice and sunny, but it was very cold most of the time, except for Venice 1 day and La Spezia during our hike. Must visit cities will depend on how much time you have for the trip. We really wanted to go to Rome as well, but just didn't have enough time to do so this time around. You can just do north Italy or just south Italy - obviously the south will be warmer in November. We loved our trip regardless. =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I mean, Rome is Rome.  I feel like that's the #1 must-visit city in Italy, especially if you like art or architecture.  It's one of the "big 3" you always hear people talking about: London, Paris, Rome.

I've been to a number of cities in Italy and Rome is my clear favorite.  That said, I'm into art, and I could spend weeks exploring churches.  I don't ever get tired of them.  If you want to go to Italy to eat, then Rome is not your place.  Florence or some other place in Tuscany would be better.  Likewise, if you want a beach, then Rome is not your place - the Amalfi coast is much better for that.  But if you want art?  And if Renaissance art bores you (it bores me to death which is why I only needed 1 day for Florence), then Rome is your place.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @hoffse I always wanted to explore Rome. FI loves history, and it would be really interesting trip. We were thinking of a round trip of Italy and stay a few nights in couple different cities. 
  • Well I think Rome needs at least 3-4 days (absolutely minimum) to start to scratch the surface: one day for the Vatican, one day for the ancient sites, and 1-2 days for everything else... which could easily be stretched into months if you really like architecture, especially church architecture.  But the Vatican area and the ancient sites themselves will take a full day each.

My top 3 museums: Vatican (obviously), Capitoline (ancient), and the Borghese gallery (primarily sculpture - one of the best small museums I've ever been to with a serious Bernini collection).

My top 7 churches: St. Peter's (obviously), Santa Maria Maggiore (gorgeous), San Zeno (mosaics - next door to Santa Maria Maggiore), San Giovanni in Laterano (Rome's cathedral), Santa Maria della Vittoria (has Bernini's Ecstasy of St. Theresa inside), Il Gesu (for the ceiling), and St. Ignatius de Loyola (also for the ceiling - and Loyola is buried there)

If your H likes history, I would also recommend a brief visit to Castel Sant'Angelo.  It could be done on the day you visit the Vatican.  That's where Hadrian is buried, and it has tunnels connecting to the Vatican, which were used as escape routes.  It had a pretty big role in Dan Brown's Angels & Demons as well.

I also posted in another thread about the sheer awesome-ness of Pompeii.  We took a day trip from Rome for that.  It was a long day, but completely worth it.  It rivals St. Peter's for the coolest thing I've ever seen.  They have excavated almost the entire city, and you can walk through nearly all of it.  We went in late May and it was virtually empty.  You get there by taking a train to Naples and then a commuter train to the excavation site.  For a history-lover, it's an absolute must.  Bonus: the train from Naples to Pompeii is called the "Circovesuvio..."  And yes, it does actually circle vesuvius.  You can get some spectacular views of it, and it's very surreal to actually see it.

Anyway with 10 days I would probably do 5 in Rome (4 for Rome, 1 for Pompeii), then maybe 2 in Florence, 2-3 in Venice. Fly open jaw and start on one end and work your way to the other.  I'd probably start in Venice since it's romantic... but then end in Rome because of the awesome-factor it has.

And for the record - I thought the colosseum was a massive waste of time.  It's right next to the Roman forum so you can get great photo ops of it without actually paying the fee to get inside.  I mean yes, it's cool... but it's crowded and frankly it was exactly what I was expecting it to be.  If you want to go inside a Roman arena, I would spend my time seeing the one in Pompeii.  Same idea, a lot fewer people.  The actual Roman forum, however, is well worth a few hours.  As is the Capitoline museum nearby.

Same thing with the statute of David - it's in Florence, and the real one requires a big fee and usually a long line.  If you don't want to do that, then go see the replica in the town square.  The replica is an exact copy.  And David is misproportioned anyway...

I have an art degree.  So I know - it's sacrilege to skip seeing David.  But whatever.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards