Registry and Gift Forum

Wedding registry, tacky?

I've been living with my fiance' for around 7 years. Mostly, we have everything we need. There are a few things here and there that would be nice to replace. My FI and I are disagreeing on our registry. I want to register for fine china, crystal, the typical wedding basics. Possibly a few additional items. Its a huge ceremony of at least 300-400 people and we're having engagement and wedding showers before. I think it is a nice gesture to give your guests an idea of what you truly need. 

He on the other hand is torn. On one hand, he thinks we should register the traditional 1 gift per guest route, or just not register at all. 

Thoughts???

Where did you have the most success registering for gifts??

Re: Wedding registry, tacky?

• The rule is stupid. Register for what you want and what you'll use. I also think you should register if you're having a shower.
  • Ditto. Registries like you're describing aren't rude. You don't have to go with one gift per invited guest if there aren't that many things you need or want. But giving them an idea of what you want is very nice. Think of upgrades to what you already have, things that are going to wear out soon, that you just don't like, things that reflect both of your styles, things that aren't needs but would be nice or fun to have that you might not buy for yourself, extra towels and sheets (those wear out quick).
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    effing double post
  • hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2013

I've been living with my fiance' for around 7 years. Mostly, we have everything we need. There are a few things here and there that would be nice to replace. My FI and I are disagreeing on our registry. I want to register for fine china, crystal, the typical wedding basics. Possibly a few additional items. Its a huge ceremony of at least 300-400 people and we're having engagement and wedding showers before. I think it is a nice gesture to give your guests an idea of what you truly need. 

He on the other hand is torn. On one hand, he thinks we should register the traditional 1 gift per guest route, or just not register at all. 

Thoughts???

Where did you have the most success registering for gifts??

@lizzandjohn2014

Register for what you want. We registered for some fine China but then everything else was what we wanted / needed. We did our registries at Bed Bath and Beyond as well as Target.

• You're correct, it's fine to have a small registry made up of just the few items that you need.  If guests don't see something on the registry they want to buy, or everything on the registry has been bought, they'll decide themselves what to get you.

To answer your second question, I had small registries at Macy's and Crate & Barrel and had positive experiences with both.

• Go ahead and register, there is nothing rude about what you are planning. 

We registered at Crate and Barrel, Target, and a regional department store. Target is a bit wonky, but I'd still do it again, Crate and Barrel has been amazing for managing and updating. 

Anniversary
  • First, registry stalk some friends and see if physical gifts are really a thing in your circle.  They are in mine.  We invited 300 people, registered for about 300 separate things, and got most of it.  But this is not the norm in a lot of social circles, especially certain parts of the country (ie: New England).

So I'd do that first to get a feel for the lay of the land.  And then go from there.

I would suggest having some smaller items available for your shower.  Showers are boxed-gift events, and I think most folks spend less on a shower gift than a wedding gift. I  know I do.  Showers are a great time to get things like towels, kitchen gadgets, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards