Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Wedding Venues on a very tight budget!

Hi everyone! 

So I'm getting married next July, but my fiance and I are both seminary students, so we're on a VERY tight budget! To make matters more difficult, I'm latina -- in other words, my guest list is is upwards of 250 (I've cut all I could, anyone else I cut would probably show up anyway!) 

My dream is to have my ceremony and reception outdoors, someplace simple. Preferably on the lawn of some historic house or something like that, but could be at a farm. It would be particularly interesting to find a place that has a backup in case of rain because renting a tent is so expensive! We're looking anywhere within two hours of Boston, since our family is scattered around Massachusetts. New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island are all options.

I think I'm going to save money on food buy getting catering from The Olive Garden ($10/pp with lots of food!). And for family reasons it will be a dry wedding. So I can save some money there.

Does anyone have any good venues that might work for us? 

Thanks!

PS. I've seen people on these boards sometimes be really negative -- saying things like, "you're crazy if you think you can do a wedding with that many people for that budget..." I'm working very hard to make this work, so please don't respond unless it's helpful. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this pickle. Thank you!

Re: Wedding Venues on a very tight budget!

• Options

My fiancé and I are on a very tight budget also so I know how you feel!

What I started to do was search through catering websites and see who their preferred venues are. This way, you automatically know that the venue allows for outside food! Unfortunately, many places that allow outside catering or historic homes have a hefty rental fee. Good luck and let me know if I can help more! (I have been looking for venues in MA for about a year now, but my date is December so I cut out many outside-y venues pretty early. Didn't want my guests to freeze!!) 

Hope that helps a little!

• Options
    I'm not sure about prices, but some local colleges rent out their campus for weddings in the summer. I imagine that would be on the affordable side. I have heard that Marion Court College in Swampscott does this (beautiful location on the water) and Pine Manor College in Newton.
  • Options
    Pine manor is expensive, and you have to use their caterer. How much do you want to spend on a rental fee for the venue?

• Options
    I don't know if you're looking for a closed off space, but if you're open to a public space check out Thompson Dam in Thompson, CT. It's the first town over the border, so only 25 minutes from Worcester. It's got gorgeous scenery and you can reserve the pavilion for $50 (total charge!). Also, Westville Dam in Southbridge, MA is another public park, really pretty. But you would have to add the cost of renting all the tables/ chairs/ tents in case it rains. 
  • Options
    You're right, Pine Manor is more expensive than i expected! The Arnold Arboretum in Jamaica Plain might work for a ceremony but not sure if a reception would be allowed, Also there is a small farm in Winchester called the Wright-Locke Farm. It has a smallish barn that I have seen used for a wedding once in a while. I live nearby and walk through the area sometimes and it seems like a nice outdoor spot for a small group.
  • Options
    Try the Elks at Bass Rocks on Gloucester -- http://www.elksatbassrocks.com/

It is really a hidden gem -- very nice for Elks and right on the Ocean -- really, really underpriced for the view. We paid under $2000 for the site rental fee, ceremony fee and chair rental for the ceremony -- this was bar far the lowest site rental fee I could find..  If you get married on site, there is a spot on the lawn right out front with that fantastic view behind you.  My husband and I got married there last July and everything was perfect.  Their event director was extremely helpful and walks you through every step of the way. Good luck!
  • Options
    I think colt state park in RI has seating for a wedding and no booze allowed. Win win!
  • Options
    I think colt state park in RI has seating for a wedding and no booze allowed. Win win!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards