Snarky Brides

Im tired of my pampered princess cousin talking about her wedding

My cousin and I got engaged at the same time and her parents are paying for her entire wedding. My fiance and I have to pay for our own wedding. We are paying off student loans, saving for a house, and we have a one year old son so our wedding will be nice but not extravagant because our priority is to save for our future. My cousin is always making comments about how "underwhelming" my ideas are, and how I need to "think bigger". It pisses me off and hurts my feelings. She turns her nose up at my DIY projects and the fact that Im shopping consignment for me dress. She talks about how she doesnt understand why brides are stressed over budget, probably because she doesnt have one. Everyone's parents cant afford to foot the bill for a $20,000 blow out and Im ok with that. Im two seconds away from telling her that we cant talk about our weddings anymore because she is really getting to me. 

Re: Im tired of my pampered princess cousin talking about her wedding

• kmmssg said:
    Tell her that and then quit talking weddings with her.  Is she normally bratty or is she just excited?
    She is very spoiled and has a self entitled attitude about everything. Im not surprised she is acting this way about her weddding
  • I would tell her that her comments are very hurtful. Then I would stop talking about either wedding with her.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What a brat! I think she's missing the bigger picture and that a wedding is about the marriage of two people who love each other and all the other stuff is just fluff. I bet your wedding will probably be even more meaningful than hers anyway because you guys are putting your personalities into it and your priorities are in the right place. I'm sorry you are having to go through this. I agree with PPs, only discuss your wedding with friends and family who support you and your decisions. Or for that matter just let everything be a surprise to everyone else. Either way you sound more mature than her, and maturity factors into lasting relationships.
  • raeah219 said:
    My cousin and I got engaged at the same time and her parents are paying for her entire wedding. My fiance and I have to pay for our own wedding. We are paying off student loans, saving for a house, and we have a one year old son so our wedding will be nice but not extravagant because our priority is to save for our future. My cousin is always making comments about how "underwhelming" my ideas are, and how I need to "think bigger". It pisses me off and hurts my feelings. She turns her nose up at my DIY projects and the fact that Im shopping consignment for me dress. She talks about how she doesnt understand why brides are stressed over budget, probably because she doesnt have one. Everyone's parents cant afford to foot the bill for a $20,000 blow out and Im ok with that. Im two seconds away from telling her that we cant talk about our weddings anymore because she is really getting to me. 
    Just tell her that next time she bitches about your wedding budget.  It sounds like you're being reasonable with your wedding planning and she needs to come back down to earth and quit being so rude to you.  
  • She sounds like a real peach. Stop talking about wedding plans with her. 
  • Definitely stop talking wedding planning with her. I'm willing to bet that your wedding is going to be a lot more enjoyable then hers, you know why? Because yours is going to have both you and your FI's personalities put into it. When I go to a wedding, I care a whole lot more about the cute little DIY projects than having a five star seated dinner and seeing the bride in a $10k+ dress. It's what the bride and groom want that matter the most, not how much money they can spend.
  • I agree. No more wedding talk. Listen to her ridiculous jabber about hers but the second she asks about yours just say..." I'd prefer to talk about YOU." since clearly thats what she wants to hear and talk about anyway.

• BelthilBelthil member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2013
    If you can't interacting with I recommend you try to avoid wedding talk with her. You can give vague answers about any details she provides and if she tries to engage you about your wedding details you can always bean dip her

Her: My dress is costing $X and its so sparkly and pretty I'm going to look like a princess. How much did your dress cost?
    You: I'm glad to hear you found a dress that makes you happy. Have you tried this bean dip? It's delicious.
    Her: I must know how much your dress cost! Tell me.
    You: I think there must be some cilantro in it. What do you think?
    Her: How much did your dress cost?
    You: I simply must ask for the recipe. Please excuse me.

Repeat as needed. And good luck. I think you and your FI's plans sound great.

ETA: I suck as punctuation
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • "Cousin, I don't want to hear what you think about my wedding if you only have negative things to say."
  • CLI242009CLI242009 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    If she's as spoiled and as bratty as she sounds from OP's posts then telling her how these comments are hurting her feelings might not get register. She might even take it as OP being jealous and get an even bigger head.

I only say this because I have someone in my life where I CONSTANTLY tried to tell them that when they did X it made me feel X. All this person did was make themselves sound like the victim. Made it about them. If this cousin is as bad as OP has made her sound, telling her your feelings will probably not work. At all.

I would go with the less contact route. No talking details anymore. Just simple answers if she asks you anything that requires an answer.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i read an article once (cant remember where it was) that was written for brides, and the first point was "realize that everything that comes out of your mouth is about your wedding, and the people around you are on overload" it helped me alot in toning down the amount i say about it to my coworkers/friends/family/random strangers lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards