Wedding Reception Forum

Cupcake Table

We will be having cupcakes instead of cake at our reception.  The idea of a "limit" was brought up to me.  We will have extra cupcakes (in case one is dropped or whatever may happen) but cannot afford to have double the number of cupcakes per guest.  How could I make a little sign to politely tell guests to limit 1 cupcake per guest?  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance! :)

Re: Cupcake Table

• I don't think it's really necessary to have a sign. Are you having other desserts as well? If so, most people would probably only take one cupcake anyways. If you are worried, maybe just subtly include a comment in another announcement (like if you plan on doing a photo opportunity near the cupcakes, or feeding it to each other, etc.) Just before that, you could say: Please feel free to try one of the cupcakes.... That might be a more polite way of doing it.
  • I'm not sure that there is a polite way to say "1 cupcake per person."

I agree that I would serve additional desserts besides the cupcakes.  Some people don't like them.
  • I think most people would only take 1 cupcake anyways and then later if it looked like there were some left some people might take another one. When you order cake you don't order twice as much so everyone can have more than one slice. I would consider a cupcake the same as a slice of cake. The only problem I might see is if you have a bunch of different flavors then people might want more than one so they can try the different flavors.
  • We did cupcakes at our wedding! They went over pretty well. I only bought 1 for each person because I knew that some people wouldn't eat cupcakes.  We still had some leftovers, but we did have some no shows.  However, it does depend on the size of the cupcakes.  If you get a full size one 1 per person should be enough and if you get mini cupcakes I was told to get 3 per person. People are more likely to go overboard with the smaller ones.
  • We will be having cupcakes instead of cake at our reception.  The idea of a "limit" was brought up to me.  We will have extra cupcakes (in case one is dropped or whatever may happen) but cannot afford to have double the number of cupcakes per guest.  How could I make a little sign to politely tell guests to limit 1 cupcake per guest?  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance! :)
    There really is no polite way.  The only thing I can think of is have the servers bring them around on trays and offer for the guests at the table to take one.  Or, have the servers leave a cupcake at each seat as they often do when bringing the cake around.
  • I think you're overthinking this. People will just take one, and then if there are extras, some people will come back for more. And some people won't take one at all. I'd order just a few extra (maybe 10%), but not more than that.
  • I've heard the general suggestion is for 1.5 cupcakes per person.
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
  • Thank you everyone for your replies!  These are gourmet cupcakes so they are bigger than your standard cupcake.  Seems like I am worrying about this for nothing!  Thanks for the reassuring responses!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards