Flowers

Keeping DIY Wedding Bouquets Fresh Overnight

I am getting married next summer and doing my own flowers for the bouquets.  I am keeping it simple and just doing Vendela Roses from my local costco.  I plan to pick up the flowers on Friday, and the wedding is Saturday.  The directions the florist gave me was to keep in a cool place, which would be my basement, and to put in ice water.  After doing a little research, I am not really to sure if ice water is the best, perhaps warm water is the way to go?  Or is warm water only if I was to have the flowers for a few days?

As well can I arrange/wrap the flowers for the bouquets the Friday night?  I almost need to do it Friday night verses Saturday due to time.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  

Thanks!!

Re: Keeping DIY Wedding Bouquets Fresh Overnight

• I am getting married next summer and doing my own flowers for the bouquets.  I am keeping it simple and just doing Vendela Roses from my local costco.  I plan to pick up the flowers on Friday, and the wedding is Saturday.  The directions the florist gave me was to keep in a cool place, which would be my basement, and to put in ice water.  After doing a little research, I am not really to sure if ice water is the best, perhaps warm water is the way to go?  Or is warm water only if I was to have the flowers for a few days?

As well can I arrange/wrap the flowers for the bouquets the Friday night?  I almost need to do it Friday night verses Saturday due to time.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  

Thanks!!

My suggestion would be to do them the night before, and keep each bouquet in a separate container of water. Bonus points if you can get them into a fridge.

Have some extra flowers on hand in case some wilt.

• I wouldn't do ice water.  I would use a floral preservative in the water.  You can make your own with sugar, vinegar, and bleach (google for proportions). Store in a room with AC, basement, or fridge.  You can wrap them the night before with floral tape.  Try to make the stems long enough so they are all in the water; I would trim the stems to length in the morning and put on the ribbon then.
  • I agree with PP that I would avoid ice water. I would stick to room temp.

Another thought is you may want to purchase the flowers a day or two earlier than your plans. I'm not sure what the flowers at the local Costco look like, but I did flowers for a wedding where I ordered them from Costco, and it took them at least 24-48 hours to open up and fully bloom. Good luck!

• I'd pick them up a few days in advance and keep in cool water, cool location (ie, the basement or garage) to give them time to rest and open up a little bit. If you do make the bouquets the night before, I'd agree with anotherKT about keeping them in water as long as possible. Fridges are great as long as it's not too cold. I know someone who put their flowers in the fridge overnight but found them frozen the next morning :( 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards