Wedding Reception Forum

Do we NEED to take dance lessons?

I've been back and forth with my FI about taking dance lessons for our reception. He sees it as another added cost, and I think its something we (he) could really use. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on how to explain to him that we need it without hurting his feelings?

Re: Do we NEED to take dance lessons?

• Jtsma10 said:
    I've been back and forth with my FI about taking dance lessons for our reception. He sees it as another added cost, and I think its something we (he) could really use. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on how to explain to him that we need it without hurting his feelings?
    You don't NEED to take dance lessons.  My H could have really used them as well, but he didn't want to do it, so I didn't force the issue.  If your FI doesn't want to do it, you shouldn't have to twist his arm.  If cost is the issue, I often see groupons or livingsocial vouchers for dance lessons.
  • If your FI doesn't want to do them then don't do them. Unless you plan on having a full out choreographed waltz or whatever you don't need dance lessons.

But I would suggest you and your FI taking a few loops around the living room to some slow songs just so that you both feel more relaxed dancing together so that on your wedding day it is just second nature and you can enjoy those 3 or so minutes together.

• If you can adequately dance, you can get away without the cost of dance lessons.  I would love to do dance lessons, but we didn't have the money, so I nixed it.  FI agreed.  It meant that we won't have a first dance (because neither of us can actually dance), but it isn't a requirement. 

• Thanks everyone! I think we will just take a few loops around the living room unless it becomes a complete disaster. LOL! Good to know about livingsocial and groupon. :)
  •    I say yes, but I'm biased. I teach ballroom and make a few bucks getting couples ready for their first dance :-p

In reality, do what's comfortable for you. You don't need a big choreographed dance number. Many of the weddings I've been to just have the couple swaying to a song that's meaningful to them and it is just fine. 

I wish I could my FI on board for a waltz, but so far he hasn't been so enthusiastic. I love to waltz!
  • CLI242009CLI242009 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    FBIL and FSIL got married last July. The night before they moved all their furniture out of the way in their living room and "let's do this till we get this thing right" Said they practiced for about 3-4 hours straight. Just listened to their song over and over again and figured out what they wanted to do for their dance.

Nothing wrong with taking dance lessons unless you guys think so. I would practice for a few hours at home (if you can) and see what happens. If you haven't gotten anywhere from when you first started at the end of the practice session, I would then consider lessons.

My FI and I are just going to go with what feels right. Whether that's my head on his chest rocking back and forth, to my arms up around his neck and us staring at each other.

Edit for typo. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CaliMel11CaliMel11 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2013
    We're just winging it, and probably doing the box step the whole time. I don't really need some huge dramatically choreographed dance number.
    Is it something that is SUPER important to you? Is there something else that you can cut budget wise instead to fit that in?

• I dislike choreographed first dances- it doesn't look romantic and people concentrate too much to have any real emotion.  If you aren't doing a choreographed dance, dance lessons seem silly.  In dance lessons for couples preparing for weddings, they tend to just choreograph a dance.

Just go with the flow and relax.  A first dance is to open the dance floor and it should also be romantic and intimate.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards