Honeymoon Discussions

Italy VS Mexico

Has anyone been to Italy and Mexico? I'm having a hard time deciding on which to choose for our honeymoon during the first week of October. If we went to Italy we would go to Florence, Venice, Rome, and maybe the Amalfi Coast. If we were going to Mexico we would probably go to the Riviera Maya.Does anyone have any opinions  or thoughts? Thanks!! :)

Re: Italy VS Mexico

• I guess it depends on what you are going for. After our wedding we just needed a break. We went on tropical vacation relaxing resort type thing. We were not up for the travel exploring thing. We seriously wanted to sit on the beach and drink all day. It sounds like what do you really want to do? What do you and FI like to do? How stressed out are you? I am assuming that Italy could cost a whole lot more and will involve exerting a lot more energy.
  • Like huynhette said it really comes down to what kind of vacation you want.  If you want to relax and do nothing then Mexico would be a better choice.  If you want to site see and go go go then Italy would be your better choice.

Also, budget wise what are you thinking.  Italy will most likely cost you 3-4 times more then Mexico.

• I've been to both, and as pps said, hey are two totally different vacations. For a HM, for me, I'd go the relaxation route. However, some people are just more active and it really depends on how mch you want to see and do and ow much you have to spend. Oh, and how much time you have!

• Yep.  I've also done both.  Italy I was on the move non stop for 12 days going from city to city by train.  It was absolutely amazing and I'd love to do it again.  Mayan Riviera was very relaxing, slow paced, and the majority of my time was spent in a hammock or sitting at the pool bar with a drink.    It depends on your personal style and how you envision your honeymoon.  For adventure, I'd go Italy.  For just chilling out together, Mexico.

•  Time and money aren't an issue, plus my FI tells me where ever I'd like to go, and he doesn't drink. It has really  helped seeing it from adventure trip or a relaxing trip!!  
  • Are you kidding?  Go to Italy.
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    Has anyone been to Italy and Mexico? I'm having a hard time deciding on which to choose for our honeymoon during the first week of October. If we went to Italy we would go to Florence, Venice, Rome, and maybe the Amalfi Coast. If we were going to Mexico we would probably go to the Riviera Maya.Does anyone have any opinions  or thoughts? Thanks!! :)
    How long would you have in Italy?  If you only have a week, I'd do Mexico.  I feel you need more time if you want to properly see all the cities you listed.  Or you can cut it down a bit.  Also, what is your budget?  Italy will cost you a heck of a lot more than Mexico.  And finally, what is your MO?  Do you prefer more adventure or relaxation?

ETA - I just saw you posted that time and money are not an issue.  In that case, I'd do Italy.  Provided you are ok with a primarily adventure trip and not a beach vacation.
  • Italy all the way, as long as you're up for the sights and the faster pace of that kind of trip. If I may, I would suggest going to Cinque Terre while you're there. One of the most beautiful places Italy has to offer, and it would provide a nice break from the museums, monuments, etc. etc. of the big cities.
  • Just out of curiosity, if money and time are not of concern, then why Mexico? There are a ton of fabulous tropical destinations that are more "once in a lifetime" like Italy. I think Mexico is great for a relaxing getaway, but I would think a place like Hawaii, Tahiti, or Fiji would be more on par with the itinerary you noted for Italy.  

• edited August 2013
    Just out of curiosity, if money and time are not of concern, then why Mexico? There are a ton of fabulous tropical destinations that are more "once in a lifetime" like Italy. I think Mexico is great for a relaxing getaway, but I would think a place like Hawaii, Tahiti, or Fiji would be more on par with the itinerary you noted for Italy.  
    So much this. I've been to all locations you mentioned (except Amalfi Coast) and would take Italy in a heartbeat. But if you want a tropical vacation and budget is not a concern, go to Thailand, Sanya, Bora Bora, or get a house on the beach in St. John's. Riviera Maya is pretty "spring break-y". 
    *********************************************************************************

• allispain said:
    Italy all the way, as long as you're up for the sights and the faster pace of that kind of trip. If I may, I would suggest going to Cinque Terre while you're there. One of the most beautiful places Italy has to offer, and it would provide a nice break from the museums, monuments, etc. etc. of the big cities.
    This.  We only did a day trip out of Florence to the Cinque Terre, but it was absolutely beautiful.  If we'd had a longer stay in Italy, I would definitely have loved to stay a night or two there.
  • Just out of curiosity, if money and time are not of concern, then why Mexico? There are a ton of fabulous tropical destinations that are more "once in a lifetime" like Italy. I think Mexico is great for a relaxing getaway, but I would think a place like Hawaii, Tahiti, or Fiji would be more on par with the itinerary you noted for Italy.  
    So much this. I've been to all locations you mentioned (except Amalfi Coast) and would take Italy in a heartbeat. But if you want a tropical vacation and budget is not a concern, go to Thailand, Sanya, Bora Bora, or get a house on the beach in St. John's. Riviera Maya is pretty "spring break-y". 
    I would not say RM is Spring-Breaky. Some of the top resorts and beaches in the world are there. However, it's relatively easy to get to and inexpensive in comparison to other places, which makes it a great getaway for an anniversary or once someone starts a family.

• We've been to Bora Bora, a few of the Carribean islands, Hawaii, and a few other places mentioned. I'd like to see Chichen Itza, and Tulum. We would love to see ancient ruins while being able to relax. We've never been to Italy either. But, the idea of going to RM on an anniversary sounds like a great idea! We could go see Italy, and later on go to RM.
  • Personally, I'd do Mexico for your HM and Italy for an anniversary (which is a bit biased, because this is exactly what we just did, we just got back from Italy a few weeks ago).  We left for our HM the day after our wedding and I was sooo glad it was a shorter flight.  Usually when we vacation, we do a lot of activities, but our HM we did a lot of relaxing.  Splurge on a nice room (since you spend a lot of time there ;-p) at a resort with a great beach/pool and plan to do a lot of relaxing/pampering.  We did do a few activities as well, but we didn't overload our time like we usually do, which was exactly what we needed after our wedding.  

Italy was a long flight and it was daunting enough during a regular time...right after a busy wedding/planning would have been a nightmare (unless you can fly first class, but it's still a lot of travelling to do right after a big event).  Also, there is so much to see in Italy, it's almost a shame to have any 'down time'.  We did A LOT of walking and were exhausted at the end of every day.  Don't get me wrong, it was an absolute blast and I loved every second of it, but it was definitely not what I'd call 'relaxing'.   

Really, either way you can't go wrong, so you'll have a great HM no matter what! 
  • Italy, definitely. There's so much to do and so many beautiful places to enjoy. Plus, its the most romantic place in the world, so you can have all the relaxation/alone time you need!
  • I agree with considering doing a relaxing trip for your HM and an adventerous trip for an anniversary in the future. Although that's biased since that how we've done our travels.
  • Italy provided you have at least 10 days on the ground; 14+ would be better. 

If money's not an issue, i'd try Hawaii or something in Asia or the South Pacific instead of Mexico if you just want a beach vacation.  However, if you only have one week, and you're coming from the east coast area, Mexico or the Caribbean would be easier.  Honestly, a lot depends on how long you intend to go.  I try not to go to Europe with less than 2 weeks.  I did do 8 nights in Hawaii (from the East coast) and it was fine, but i would have loved a couple more nights.  I did 10 nights in Thailand from the east coast, and i definitely needed more than that.  Those flights were too painful to only be on the ground for 10 nights.

• Yes. I have been to both many times. They're both great but for much different reasons. Do your research and choose what fits for what you want. Take one trip now and one later. Neither are going anywhere.

• I love Italy! I visited FI when he studied abroad there and we spend our time in Florence, Siena and Rome in late November. Such  romantic place with great sights and amazing food. October should be somewhat cold but it's honestly an amazing place to go.

Like everyone else said, it depends on what you are looking for. If you opt for Italy it will be a much more active honeymoon. Mexico has a lot to offer and can be a great deal. Since money does not seem to be the issue, have you considered other tropical locations if you want a more relaxing honeymoon? I think Hawaii would be fabulous!

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong. I am sure you two will have a wonderful time at any destination choose.
  • I've done both, and pp stated they are very different, both great in their respective ways.   We're doing Italy for our HM (Rome and Amalfi)--FI has never been and he knows that I would go back to Italy in a heartbeat whenever I could plus.  Incredible sights, food, wine, history, culture.  You can have "downtime" at places too...Italy has beaches, they're just not all-inclusive as you find in RM.   This is a great problem to have, just depends what you prefer  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards