Chit Chat

smoking bride

Hi all!
I would first like to make a disclaimer. I smoke and I do NOT want to hear how it is bad for me and how I should quit. What I do want to hear is advice from other smoking brides.
Most of the guests are against smoking but both my fiancé and I do. Only a hand full of guests smoke. I don't want smoking near the out door reception but the property allows smoking. Do I ask the few people before the wedding to go to the parking lot to smoke? How is the best way for my fiancé and I to sneak off? Help!
Lauren

Re: smoking bride

• Hi all! I would first like to make a disclaimer. I smoke and I do NOT want to hear how it is bad for me and how I should quit. What I do want to hear is advice from other smoking brides. Most of the guests are against smoking but both my fiancé and I do. Only a hand full of guests smoke. I don't want smoking near the out door reception but the property allows smoking. Do I ask the few people before the wedding to go to the parking lot to smoke? How is the best way for my fiancé and I to sneak off? Help! Lauren
    I was going to say everything @HisGirlFriday13 said
  • Maybe spring for a cheap e-cigarette so you can "go to the bathroom" and get a quick smoke in without really leaving the party, plus that will leave no lingering smell on your clothes... or maybe that's the one day you both use a patch (after trying them to make sure they are effective for you two).

Like Friday said, everyone will notice when you leave, so trying to stay around as long as possible without the killer cravings is best, and designate that smoking area.

• When I worked for a catering company, they bridal party all smoked and they just went and smoked after pictures during the cocktail hour. You could do it discreetly and just make cocktail hour a little longer so you have a chance to smoke. Like Friday said, be sure to go behind the building or to the parking lot where you are out of view. But it's your wedding so you can still do what you gotta do and then continue with the party! 
  • afox007afox007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2013
  • shaivana said:

When I worked for a catering company, they bridal party all smoked and they just went and smoked after pictures during the cocktail hour. You could do it discreetly and just make cocktail hour a little longer so you have a chance to smoke. Like Friday said, be sure to go behind the building or to the parking lot where you are out of view. But it's your wedding so you can still do what you gotta do and then continue with the party! 

I fail to see why you need to be out of view. I smoke and everyone who is going to be on the guest list knows this. Do they all like it: no, but I'm not going to quit just because a few people disapprove. You should designate a smoking section, but there's no reason you have to make it in the parking lot. Many places have regulations as to where you can smoke (in my area it's 20 ft from a door) use these regulations to figure out where to make smoking ok. As long as you only pop out occasionally I don't see why it matters.
  • If you have other guests who smoke, then a designated smoking area would be perfect. You don't have "sneak" away, so to speak. You can join your smoking guests and greet and mingle with them while you smoke, then head back inside to your other guests.
  • May I just say, for consideration, that I attended one wedding where the groom was an avid smoker and he spent a good deal of time outside with smoking friends /family while the bride did her thing inside with non smokers, and there was a noticible divide. I barely saw the groom aside from the formalities like the first dance. Any smokers should be mindful to not alienate themselves or others.

• I like the e-cig idea, if that's something you enjoy smoking.  Not that you even have to hide it from others (I assume it's no secret that you smoke, as afox said) but it won't smell.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Everyone knows we smoke. I'll probably be too excited to think about it. E - cigarette good idea! I was going to plan some bride/groom alone time. People will understand considering my major anxiety. I'll just say I need a break no one will yell at me
  • If you're planning on saving/selling the dress afterwards-I'd be mindful of that and not sore it in your house if you smoke there. Heavy bridal fabrics especially will hold on to that smell, and will make it very difficult to resell your dress-even drycleaning can't always get the smell out.
        Just try not to take too many breaks for oo long, because your guests will notice that and may begin leaving early.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just one note of caution.  Most wedding dresses are made of polyester, and that is very flammable.  Do be careful!  Enjoy your wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • An outdoor wedding we went to last year had a smoking area with one of the ashtray things.  It was marked as a designated smoking spot, near the tent but far away enough.  The DJ also mentioned it a few times casually so that people didn't smoke underneath or near the tent. 

Have the facility do a "smoking area" so that
    a) people don't smoke at the dinner table
    b) people know where they can smoke (maybe 20 feet away from the reception area or wherever you designate?)
    c) there's a place for cigarette butts, you don't want it all over the place and in wedding pictures
    d) I don't know about the "before the wedding" part, people who smokes and drinks enjoy smoking and drinking, but can be respectful so if they know there's a designated spot, they'll use it during the wedding

..how far away is the parking lot?  Do you want guests to run off to the parking lot when they want to light up a cigarette or a cigar?

But yes, do a smoking area away from the crowd and the tent/reception area so that non-smokers won't get caught in a smoke cloud.  (We used to have an outdoor smoking section at work, there's a smoke cloud when a bunch of smokers are lighting up at the same time.)

• When I worked for a catering company, they bridal party all smoked and they just went and smoked after pictures during the cocktail hour. You could do it discreetly and just make cocktail hour a little longer so you have a chance to smoke. Like Friday said, be sure to go behind the building or to the parking lot where you are out of view. But it's your wedding so you can still do what you gotta do and then continue with the party! 
    I fail to see why you need to be out of view. I smoke and everyone who is going to be on the guest list knows this. Do they all like it: no, but I'm not going to quit just because a few people disapprove. You should designate a smoking section, but there's no reason you have to make it in the parking lot. Many places have regulations as to where you can smoke (in my area it's 20 ft from a door) use these regulations to figure out where to make smoking ok. As long as you only pop out occasionally I don't see why it matters.

*stuck in the box*

I am wondering the same thing to the bold. If your close family and friends know you guys are smokers, why is this a big deal? If anything just tell the photographer and videographer not to shoot when you're taking a smoke break?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi all! I would first like to make a disclaimer. I smoke and I do NOT want to hear how it is bad for me and how I should quit. What I do want to hear is advice from other smoking brides. Most of the guests are against smoking but both my fiancé and I do. Only a hand full of guests smoke. I don't want smoking near the out door reception but the property allows smoking. Do I ask the few people before the wedding to go to the parking lot to smoke? How is the best way for my fiancé and I to sneak off? Help! Lauren
    It's a horrid habit and you should quit.

But in all seriousness. I smoked at the time of my wedding and you best believe I was smoking in the garden waiting to take pictures in my princess gown. I didn't care who saw me. It's your day, it's your lungs, do what you want where you want- unless it's not allowed...like INSIDE the place. 

During the reception DH and I stepped right outside and smoked infront of the place we got married at- couldn't care less.
  • E-cigs. Please. Less likely for allergic people to get sick.
    In love since July 2010 with the man of my geeky dreams. I want to marry him by 2015. Ooooh weeee oooooh....
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I don't really think it's a big deal. You will be really busy and probably won't think of it until later in the evening when people won't really notice anyway. I am not a habitual smoker but people have gone out for cigars at the last several weddings I've been to, including my own, and it hasn't been a big deal. Just try to keep it to a minimum. 
  • This thread is from last year; OP hasn't been around in a few months.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards