Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Beat to death- All Inclusive in Caribbean?

I know this topic has been beat to death, but my fiance and I can't seem to make up our darn minds. I had originally wanted Costa Rica but have been outvoted. We (and I mean he) want an AI in the Caribbean. We'll be going the last week of July. I want to stay to a strict 4k budget, so we're looking for one that includes most excursions. We've considered Jamaica and Punta Cana. Mexico is a no go and I am aware it's hurricane season. 
We're not 'fancy' people but would like something nice-ish for the HM, we like a nice beach, scuba would be great but not required, and excursions are a must as I can't imagine sitting at a hotel for 7 nights. 

Any suggestions? Specific favorites? Thanks in advance!

Re: Beat to death- All Inclusive in Caribbean?

• Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    We went to Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica and really enjoyed it.  I think we paid around $3K for 7 nights.  The nice thing about that resort is all - and I do mean all - of the rooms are ocean view and have a balcony large enough to sit on.  H and I were able to get away with buying second the cheapest room category (only $20 more than the very cheapest, and it simply put us on the top floor which we prefer for noise reasons).  It was very comfortable, large, and we had a great time.

Whitehouse also has a private beach that goes on for a long time - maybe a couple miles?  Scuba is included up to 2 dives per day if you are certified, and all watersports are included.  Spa treatments and excursions are extra, but we thought pretty reasonably priced.  We took a full day excursion to visit the black river, YS falls, and to go rum tasting at the Appleton rum factory - it was a great day out, and we felt like we really got our money's worth.  Also, if you tell them it's for your honeymoon they will ask you to email them a copy of your wedding invitation.  That gives you a couple of perks - for instance, breakfast in bed one morning and champagne upon arrival, both free.  Airport transfer is also included in your room rate.

I know people have a love/hate relationahip with Sandals, and I do agree that many of them are overpriced.  But Whitehouse seemed to be a pretty decent price, and the resort guests had the beach to ourselves.  We didn't have to share it with beach vendors or guests from 30 other resorts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I should also add - Whitehouse faces west so you get incredible sunsets.  They also have plenty of beach chairs and a LOT of palapas/umbrellas.  I'm a fairly early riser (but not crazy early), and H and I never had trouble getting a palapa for the day if we were there by 9-10 or so.  And while we were there they were building more.

The one big thing people complain about with Whitehouse is the distance from the airport.  It's about 1 hr 30 min from the airport and you go over a windy mountain.  That said, the resort arranges all your transportation, and it's like a well-oiled machine to get guests to the resort.  I was worried about it, but it was really NBD.  I also get motion sickness and really had no issues with the windy roads over the mountains, though I did bring Dramamine just in case.

The benefit of its location is that there are no other resorts around (though they do have plans to build a second resort in that area in a couple years - might want to check on that before booking).  The beach was pretty unspoiled while we were there in May, and it was totally worth the drive out - especially since we weren't the ones actually doing the driving.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Any reason you don't want Mexico? There are some gorgeous AI's in Cabo & in the Riviera Maya. Both of the areas are very safe.
  • Options
    I did all inclusive in Punta Cana 3 times, and it is gorgeous. I've stayed at the Fiesta Americana, Bavaro Beach, and Melia Caribe. Our favorite was the Bavaro Beach, as it was a lot of fun, the beach was pretty much at our feet, and it is a huge resort - it is 5 resorts in one, so there are a lot of options. There is also a lot to do in Punta Cana excursion-wise. ATV's, scuba, snorkel, day trips to different parts of the island. I also think the beaches in the DR are the most gorgeous [I am part Dominican so I am biased lol.]

I did all inclusive in Jamaica at the RIU in Ocho Rios, and it was awesome. Jamaica is also a lot of fun, and there is a lot to do there - the Dunn's River falls [although it is extremely touristy], jet skis, and other excursions. If I'm not mistaken, jet skiing is rare in the DR. I'm pretty sure we never got to do that out there. 

You can get really great prices for both, definitely within your 4K budget. Depending on where you're from maybe just the airfare might be pricey. May I add that I have been to Costa Rica and it is an AMAZING place to go to. Very laid back, beautiful people, delicious food, and it is an adventure vacation, there is a lot to do out there. Maybe you can work on convincing your fiance ;) In terms of the weather, I have been to DR and Jamaica in July and while it is rainy season, I don't think we got any rain in Jamaica. In DR it mostly rained early mornings and late evenings. We had maybe one rainy day, but we scheduled excursions for that day [an ATV one which is a lot more fun in the mud/rain] so it did not affect the trip at all. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Majesty318- We've been to Mexico many times already and he has requested somewhere we haven't been more than once. 
    Pinkcow13- thanks for the information! His family just did Bavaro so maybe I'll look into that. 
  • Options
    Peace Love Cupcakes, fair enough then! I am sensitive with stereotypes against Mexico because FI is Mexican. Glad to hear it's just a matter of going somewhere new! We have the same plan :)
  • Options
    @hoffse I am thinking about Sandals Whitehouse for our honeymoon so it's great to hear about your experience there! I know there are plenty of other all inclusive resorts but several of our friends have said Sandals is worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards