Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Excluding my Parents. Getting pressure from the rest of family. Help.

My parents and I have been estranged for over 10 years. As a result I am excluding them from my wedding. Recently, my grandparents have been pressuring me to "make up" by inviting my father to my wedding. They have implied that they may not be able to attend if he is not invited. I do not intend to change my decision on excluding them but, if my grandparents do not attend it will drastically effect my plans, including not having someone to walk me down the isle, not having much family at my wedding, and not having a "parents" dance which I think my fiancee's parents should get to enjoy. 

I'm not sure how to navigate this situation. All this drama is steering me towards elopement which I think I might end up regretting. Anyone ever been in this situation? What did you do?

Re: Excluding my Parents. Getting pressure from the rest of family. Help.

• Options
    First thing you do is DO NOT ELOPE! You will regret it. I am in a similar situation with my biological father who I have met Once and my mother wanting him to walk me down the aisle! Yeah right! I am however sending him an invitation. An invitation is only that, an invitation. You do not have to talk to him or include him in the wedding at any point. Let him be simply an invited guest. That should suffice for your grandparents wishes. I am letting my father see me before the ceremony but he is not walking me down the aisle. You can choose to have nothing to do with him. He may take the hint and not even show but at least you put that envelope in the mail. Ultimately its up to you but don't let family drama ruin your day.
  • Options
    What did I do?  I asked another relative to walk me down the aisle, I didn't have a father-daughter dance, and I had a very small wedding.  I almost eloped.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else. I've been estranged from my father for two years and my paternal grandmother continued guilt-tripping me about it. When she called me an ungrateful daughter and said I was going to hell I rescinded her invitation to the wedding and told her if either she or her son tried to come to the wedding they'd be arrested for trespassing. Now two unhealthy, narcissistic personalities are out of my life. The rest of my father's family has been respectful of my wishes and there were no more issues. If your grandparents threaten to not come, call their bluff. Don't let threats from so-called loved ones cloud your judgement.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat. Not with my parents of course but with my parent's adopted son.

They adopted him before any of my siblings were born. Doctors told her that she wouldn't be able to have kids after 3 miscarriages. Lord and behold after they adopt the son she ends up having 5 kids xD

Anyways, I have uncles and aunts, some cousin and even my own father (he has let up thank god after I told him that I wasn't having it!!) are trying to use our wedding as a reconciliation between my mother and her adopted son. Long story short he became very bad (gangs, drugs, prison, stealing money and valuables from other people and grandparents, etc.) so they severed contact with him when he went to prison for beating his at the time GF.

He has been saying he's found himself and he's a new man. He's done this 3 other times and has ended up robbing my now deceased grandmother. So we do not trust him. My father and relatives on his side of the family are all for getting back together with him. The one he stole and did most of the things to were my mother's parents/family. So they have been trying to convince me invite him to the wedding so everything can be patched up.

This man is not a brother of mine. He has the same last name as me but he is not my brother. I have met him once (that I can actually remember) in my entire 26 years of life. I do not know him. I don't want him in my life or there at our wedding. Period. I have been told I am being insensitive and bitchy because I have been standing my ground on this but this is what I want and how I feel. I don't want the worry, added to the usual wedding day of stress, on my shoulders.

Do not give in! Stick to your guns and call their bluff. If I had relatives not going to show up because I didn't invite my parents' son then I would just say "Sorry to hear that you can't make it! We'll miss you"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ivycorley said:
    My parents and I have been estranged for over 10 years. As a result I am excluding them from my wedding. Recently, my grandparents have been pressuring me to "make up" by inviting my father to my wedding. They have implied that they may not be able to attend if he is not invited. I do not intend to change my decision on excluding them but, if my grandparents do not attend it will drastically effect my plans, including not having someone to walk me down the isle, not having much family at my wedding, and not having a "parents" dance which I think my fiancee's parents should get to enjoy. 

I'm not sure how to navigate this situation. All this drama is steering me towards elopement which I think I might end up regretting. Anyone ever been in this situation? What did you do?

They can still have a parents dance. And you can walk yourself down the aisle. Like a previous poster said, your wedding isn't the time for a family reconciliation.
  • Options
    Ivycorley said:

I can't stand it when other people get involved on your day. Seriously? If you haven't spoken to someone in 10 years, there's probably good reason for it. I invited a cousin who I wasn't speaking to but, he wasn't speaking to me, not vice versa, I had no issues with him. I gave him the choice to come or not. But, my mother wanted me to invite her brother, who is a scumbag. I refused and she was going to send him an invite instead. After a lot of fighting, I got my way and she let it all go. 

Wedding's aren't for making up, it's your day and you should enjoy it. If it means things gotta change then so be it. I didn't have a father daughter dance because I'm not close to my dad, it was fine. I had him walk me down the aisle just cause...it didn't change our relationship at all- he's still a jerk. If I could re-do it I would have just walked down on my own. It's no biggie. 

If your grandparents love you enough, they will be there. If they are going to threaten you then...do you really want that in your life?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards