Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Lost deposit?

I had a verbal agreement with the church organist.  She had indicated the price for her services and the amount of the deposit that I needed to pay for her to set aside the date to play at the ceremony.  I checked on her about a month ago, just to check on her, and she tells me that she is moving out of state and will not be able to play at my wedding,about five months from now.  There was no signed contract.  I feel that she should return the deposit, since we had not given her the music to play yet and because she is the one backing out of the deal.  Is this correct?  I have asked for the deposit back, which she agreed to do, but have not heard back from her yet.  What recourse do I have at this point?  Continue to ask her about it and hope she returns the deposit? 

Re: Lost deposit?

• You can ask once or twice after that you start to sound pushy. After that your money is probably gone.
  • ccvasquez said:
    I had a verbal agreement with the church organist.  She had indicated the price for her services and the amount of the deposit that I needed to pay for her to set aside the date to play at the ceremony.  I checked on her about a month ago, just to check on her, and she tells me that she is moving out of state and will not be able to play at my wedding,about five months from now.  There was no signed contract.  I feel that she should return the deposit, since we had not given her the music to play yet and because she is the one backing out of the deal.  Is this correct?  I have asked for the deposit back, which she agreed to do, but have not heard back from her yet.  What recourse do I have at this point?  Continue to ask her about it and hope she returns the deposit? 
    @ccvasquez

Take this as a lesson learned to not go with a verbal contract. ALWAYS have something written that both parties signed. 

In terms of the deposit, maybe ask her 2 times (no more than 3) but I am not holding much hope for you getting any of that money back. You may need to take it as a lesson learned.
  • She emailed this morning saying she forgot to send it while she moved earlier this year.  The refund should be in the mail today, and I hope to get it by next week.  I agree on the verbal agreements, so i will keep that in mind as we secure the rest of our vendors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards