Christian Weddings

Hello

Hello everyone!

I have been on TK for a while but always forgot to come to this board and check it out. I decided to stop in today and say hello. Feel free to ask any questions about me if you want. I am not usually that good when it comes to introducing myself. Lol.

Re: Hello

• Hello! This board has been REALLY slow lately...
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    Hi @hlvonb!  Welcome to the board!  When is your wedding?  How/when did you get engaged?  What do you and your FI do?  What part of the country are you in?  Any ideas (colors, traditions, etc.) for your wedding?

I'm Emily and I'm a SAHM.  DH and I have been married for 2 1/2 years now.  We currently live in Virginia while DH is in seminary.  He was a youth pastor in Kansas for the first two years of our marriage.  I grew up in VA and he grew up in Maryland.  We met during undergrad in VA while we were at Liberty U.  We have one son who will be 14 months old on Christmas.
  • amakayeb said:
    Hello! This board has been REALLY slow lately...

@amakayeb

I kind of picked up on that but oh well. Lol

• Hi @hlvonb!  Welcome to the board!  When is your wedding?  How/when did you get engaged?  What do you and your FI do?  What part of the country are you in?  Any ideas (colors, traditions, etc.) for your wedding?

I'm Emily and I'm a SAHM.  DH and I have been married for 2 1/2 years now.  We currently live in Virginia while DH is in seminary.  He was a youth pastor in Kansas for the first two years of our marriage.  I grew up in VA and he grew up in Maryland.  We met during undergrad in VA while we were at Liberty U.  We have one son who will be 14 months old on Christmas.

@fpaemp2011

Hi I am Heidi  :)

Our wedding is Saturday July 26, 2014!!

We got engaged on December 1st, 2012. The day started with a trip to the Boetanical Gardens, Mitchell Domes and a movie followed by us going out to a nice dinner for our 6 month anniversary at That's Amore restaurant. Once the main meal was over, the waitress brought out a bottle of Asti Spumanti per my fiance's request which was unknown by me since he had requested it while I was away from the table. While enjoying the nice champagne and sharing Tiramisu, he began an elegant toast to us and our relationship. Immediately following the toast he got down on his knee beside the table and asked me to marry him. (We've known each other for 10 years and dated for a couple months freshman year of high school.)

I work security and he is a welder. He is looking at switching careers though.

We live in Wisconsin.

We have a lot of the things for our wedding planned already. Our colors are Blue and Silver with Canary Yellow as an accent color and we are incorporating the 2 hearts into our wedding "theme" as well. I attached a picture of what I mean by the 2 hearts. I am hoping I am not forgetting something that has to be planned though. Lol. As for traditions (besides the white dress, etc) We are getting married in the church he grew up in (the same church his 3 siblings got married in as well). We are also having his grandfather perform the marriage right part of the ceremony since his grandfather married his 3 siblings and their spouses.

We currently do not have any children but do want some later on.

Congrats on being married for 2 1/2 years :) I have a friend who's husband is in the seminary and she is struggling with it. I hope it's easier for you. I hate seeing her struggle. Congrats on having a son! That's a true blessing.

• Hi Heidi!

I'm Amanda. I'm an elementary teacher, and I'm originally from Wisconsin. (I smiled as soon as I read 'the Domes' in your post!) Right now, I'm living in southern IN, and my fiance is in his last year of seminary in MO. Our wedding date is 6/28/14. We will find out this spring where his first call will be to, and then we'll know where we will be living when we get married!
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    DH's dad is also a pastor and officiated our wedding.  And all 3 of my pastors (senior, associate, and youth) had a part in the ceremony.  And three of our six groomsmen were ordained pastors.  We joked that we'd be "good and married" by the end of the ceremony and if one pastor couldn't make it, we had plenty of back-ups.  :)
    Having a husband who works full time and taking 9 hours each semester has been challenging, but not horrible.  One semester down, 9 to go.  :)
    Your wedding sounds beautiful.  We did a Marriage Covenant in lieu of a Guest Book and a Cord of Three Strands instead of a Unity Candle.  Our colors were Pool Blue and Ruby.  If I could do it again, I think I'd so silver instead of ruby.  Finding accessories for attendants would have been much easier.  Although, I didn't have Pinterest while I was planning, so I kinda feel like I should get a do-over on some things.  :-P
  • amakayeb said:
    Hi Heidi!

I'm Amanda. I'm an elementary teacher, and I'm originally from Wisconsin. (I smiled as soon as I read 'the Domes' in your post!) Right now, I'm living in southern IN, and my fiance is in his last year of seminary in MO. Our wedding date is 6/28/14. We will find out this spring where his first call will be to, and then we'll know where we will be living when we get married!

@amakayeb

Yay! Someone from WI. Lol. I love the Domes. Spring is around the corner too. Are you excited to find out? Anywhere specific you hope the call is?

• DH's dad is also a pastor and officiated our wedding.  And all 3 of my pastors (senior, associate, and youth) had a part in the ceremony.  And three of our six groomsmen were ordained pastors.  We joked that we'd be "good and married" by the end of the ceremony and if one pastor couldn't make it, we had plenty of back-ups.  :)
    Having a husband who works full time and taking 9 hours each semester has been challenging, but not horrible.  One semester down, 9 to go.  :)
    Your wedding sounds beautiful.  We did a Marriage Covenant in lieu of a Guest Book and a Cord of Three Strands instead of a Unity Candle.  Our colors were Pool Blue and Ruby.  If I could do it again, I think I'd so silver instead of ruby.  Finding accessories for attendants would have been much easier.  Although, I didn't have Pinterest while I was planning, so I kinda feel like I should get a do-over on some things.  :-P

@fpaemp2011

I think I would agree with the "good and married" lol. I think your colors were unique and that not many people would have considered / thought of that color scheme. I wouldn't have changed it / wanted to but that's me. Lol. I will probably want a do - over too on things and I hardly use Pinterest.

• elBecko said:
    Hello!  My name is Emily, and I'm getting married on 6/14/14.  We've been dating since September 2008, and engaged since January 2012, so it seems a little unreal that we finally have less than 6 months to go!

I'm a grad student in public health and I work part-time on campus as a researcher and a teaching assistant. Graduation is just over a month before the wedding.  My fiance is a teacher (middle school English) and will be starting grad school part-time this summer or fall.

We're getting married in my home church in West Virginia.  We haven't quite found an officiant yet--it's a long story. We are hopeful that the preacher who did my sister's wedding will also do mine as she and her husband were our preachers growing up. Other than that, planning is going smoothly!
    @elBecko

Welcome and congrats! Keep us updated when you hear about the officiant. I hope your planning keeps going smoothly.
  • @hlvonb

You know, I've never actually been to the Domes! I'm not quite sure how, as my extended family lives down in the Milwaukee area. I also went to college down there and did my student teaching in the surrounding suburbs--I actually missed out on a field trip there by like a week.

Spring is coming soon--it's crazy to think that we'll know in just over 4 months! It seemed so far away when we first started talking about it... 

My fiance is from Minnesota, so we're hoping for a call back up that way (WI or MN), or else to stay where I am in southern IN (but the odds of that are rather slim). I've been living away from family for 7 years now, so it would be nice to be a little closer to them.
  • @fpaemp2011

We don't have any other pastors in our family, but we will have several in attendance (friends of his/colleagues he has worked with).  Lots of back-ups for us too!

When we first got engaged, my cousin (who doesn't always think things through all the way before speaking) asked me, "So, is he going to marry you? I mean, like 'marry-marry' you?" I assured her that, even though he will be a pastor then, it would probably be a little difficult for him to do his own ceremony!
  • elBecko said:
    Hello!  My name is Emily, and I'm getting married on 6/14/14.  
    @elBecko- Seriously?!  For as long as you've been here, how did I not know your name is Emily, too?

@amakayeb- Self-uniting ceremonies are legal in Colorado, Wisconsin,and some counties in Pennsylvania.  ;) :-P
  • amakayeb said:
    @hlvonb

You know, I've never actually been to the Domes! I'm not quite sure how, as my extended family lives down in the Milwaukee area. I also went to college down there and did my student teaching in the surrounding suburbs--I actually missed out on a field trip there by like a week.

Spring is coming soon--it's crazy to think that we'll know in just over 4 months! It seemed so far away when we first started talking about it... 

My fiance is from Minnesota, so we're hoping for a call back up that way (WI or MN), or else to stay where I am in southern IN (but the odds of that are rather slim). I've been living away from family for 7 years now, so it would be nice to be a little closer to them.

@amakayeb

NEVER been to the Domes?!? Oh my. Lol. I have gone there more times than I can count.

4 months will fly by. Especially with the holidays and what not taking your attention off of how long left until you find out.

After 7 years being away it would be nice to be back by family but that move is going to be a hassle. I would want to stay where I was too. Lol

• elBecko said:
    Hello!  My name is Emily, and I'm getting married on 6/14/14.  
    @elBecko- Seriously?!  For as long as you've been here, how did I not know your name is Emily, too?

@amakayeb- Self-uniting ceremonies are legal in Colorado, Wisconsin,and some counties in Pennsylvania.  ;) :-P

@fmaemp2011

Really?!? (In response to what I bolded)

• @hlvonb, Yep: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-uniting_marriage
    (I realize it's Wikipedia, but I'm not writing a research paper. :-P )

@fpaemp2011

Wow...

• @hlvonb

Yeah, really not looking forward to a move -- plus I have a classroom that will then need to be packed up and moved as well. I have A LOT of books...
  • amakayeb said:
    @hlvonb

Yeah, really not looking forward to a move -- plus I have a classroom that will then need to be packed up and moved as well. I have A LOT of books...

@amakayeb

Books are the hardest to move since you can never just fill a box because the box becomes too heavy and breaks. Lol. Well that's my experience anyway.

• hlvonb said:
    amakayeb said:
    @hlvonb

@amakayeb

Books are the hardest to move since you can never just fill a box because the box becomes too heavy and breaks. Lol. Well that's my experience anyway.

Heavens, yes.  We had so many diaper boxes full of books from our move earlier this year.  They take up a ridiculous amount of space.
  • Yeah, at least they are kids chapter books, so they aren't quite as heavy!
  • hlvonb said:
    amakayeb said:
    @hlvonb

@amakayeb

Heavens, yes.  We had so many diaper boxes full of books from our move earlier this year.  They take up a ridiculous amount of space.

@fpaemp2011

Yes they do. I remember the last time I moved we used my fiancé's dad's truck and at least 1/2 of it was boxes of books

• amakayeb said:
    Yeah, at least they are kids chapter books, so they aren't quite as heavy!

@amakayeb

That sure helps! Lol

• Hi Heidi,

I'm Rachel, and I've been married for a month and a half. My wedding colours were light blue, navy blue and silver :) We did a marriage covenant, which myself, DH and our pastor signed. We also did the unity candles. I work in a daycare with 3-5 year olds, and just love it :) It's been great practice for when I have my own, which is happening a lot faster than DH and I thought it would :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker:)

• Hi Heidi,

I'm Rachel, and I've been married for a month and a half. My wedding colours were light blue, navy blue and silver :) We did a marriage covenant, which myself, DH and our pastor signed. We also did the unity candles. I work in a daycare with 3-5 year olds, and just love it :) It's been great practice for when I have my own, which is happening a lot faster than DH and I thought it would :)
    @flutterfly88

Congrats on being married! Your colors sound like they looked pretty :) What exactly is a marriage covenant? I have heard of it before but I don't know if I am 100% sure as to what it is. Yay! :)
  • Hi Heidi,

My name is Cam and I've been married for almost 3 years (2 yrs 9mths). Our wedding colours were Royal blue and Black with hot pink accents. I am a Canadian and enjoyed coming on TK for conversations and giving/getting advice. I have not been on here for a long while but hope you have a good experience.

• mattycam said:
    Hi Heidi,

My name is Cam and I've been married for almost 3 years (2 yrs 9mths). Our wedding colours were Royal blue and Black with hot pink accents. I am a Canadian and enjoyed coming on TK for conversations and giving/getting advice. I have not been on here for a long while but hope you have a good experience.

@mattycam

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards