Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Problems with a photographer...help!

Okay so I booked my photographer who is also my friend, the package was $800 and included two engagement shoots, and she said she would do all day of the wedding for me. Yes I know, I should expect to pay over $1,000 for good photos, but she normally does charge that. She said she was giving me a deal. She has a legitimate business with her husband so it's not just some amateur doing my photos.

Well, anyway, the point of my story, we did our two shoots, one in September and one in November. It took her more than a month to get them up on the website and that is only because I asked about them twice. Needless to say, it took that long and she put up untouched photos. I'm talking there is glare,the sun shoots right through our faces making us look like vampires, we had brought coffees to the one and you can see them clearly in the background, along with the bags full of our props. My fiance's collar was messed up and no one told him (I didn't notice the day of). When I asked her, she said that when we told her which ones we wanted then she would do the edits, but we have to pay first. So what if I pay to get the ones I want, but the pictures just don't get any better? The engagement photos aren't a big deal, I just don't want to deal with this for my wedding photos. Has anyone had a bad experience like this before? Any advice? Should I just chalk my deposit up as a loss and look for a different photographer? I'm not a bridezilla at all, my pictures are just very important to me.

Re: Problems with a photographer...help!

• Options
    Hey there,

I am sorry to hear this. I am also sorry to say that the first rule ever, or at least the one I tell my clients right away, is: never hire friends of friends, friends of the family, or friends at all!

It is always (or very, very often) bad news to mix friendship and business.

Now, let's try to figure this out: before hiring her, did you like her work? Did you see a lot of it? Did you see a full wedding?

If your answer is "no" for one of those questions, then you should chalk the deposit up and look for someone who is trustworthy, since pictures are so important for you.

And that way you don't destroy a friendship.
  • Options
    Thank her profusely for doing the engagement shots, chalk up the deposit as a lesson learned, and find a different photographer for your wedding.
  • Options
    emmyg65 said:
    Thank her profusely for doing the engagement shots, chalk up the deposit as a lesson learned, and find a different photographer for your wedding.
    This, and pay her for them. Depending on where you live I would expect to pay over $2,000 for good photos. I would tell her you decided you wanted her to just be a guest and get a new photog. Issues like these will continue to be issues on the wedding day. GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Carole - You cannot advertise here by putting your business name as your username. 

• Options
    I'm also a wedding photographer and I think that everyone just runs their businesses differently. For me, I select all the best images from my engagement sessions and then I edit them all fully so they look awesome before I put them online for my couples to see. 

If you like the images but just think they need editing, thats one thing because she could edit them for you after payment. But if you don't like the images the way they look now you may not love them afterwards either. I cringe at anyone seeing unedited work -lol- I want the first reaction couples have when seeing their photos to be "WOW!" 

I will also say that for unedited images...the turn around time seems really long. For edited images I usually average 3 weeks or so. Times may be slower right now because people time with their families for the holidays so that might be a consideration you want to think about too before making a decision. 

As mentioned above too...did you like her style? Did you love the images you have seen from her? Did you get to look at a full wedding? One good thing to do is to ask to see a sample wedding album so you can see a wedding from start to finish. 

Best of luck!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards