Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Corset to Buttons - Is it possible?!

I ordered my Sottero and Midgley Ashleigh dress about a month ago. I had my heart set on buttons while looking for dresses, but I absolutely loved the fit and front of the Ashleigh, so I said yes! I'm really having buyers remorse ONLY because of the corset back that came with it. (I love the fit but I really don't like the look of corsets, just personal preference!) I ordered a size 6, which was what I tried on. The consultant told me I could definitely order a 4 because the 6 was big, but I liked that the corset almost completely closed and was less obvious since I'm not a fan.

Anyway, my question for y'all is - is it possible to turn my corset back into a zipper closure with buttons? I would like to leave the corset, but have it as an inner corset so I get the shaping of the corset with the look of buttons in the back. Sottero and Midgley didn't offer any options other than the corset for this dress!

Has anyone had this done before? Or even had this crazy idea?!

Oh and here's the dress!
Sottero and Midgley - Ashleigh

Re: Corset to Buttons - Is it possible?!

• Options
    i did a google search for you changing the corset back into a zipper and button back and i cant find anything the only thing that pops up is converting a zipper back to a corset back.

i am not sure if it can even be done. your best bet is to call the salon and talk to the seamstress to see if its even possible
  • Options
    I'm sure you're not the first person to wonder if this conversion is possible.  Your best bet is to talk to a seamstress.
  • Options
    I would find the best seamstress in town and talk to her. I would be prepared to spend quite a bit. 
  • Options
    yes, it is possible. There would just need to be enough fabric. And money. LOL

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • Options
    It's probably going to cost you quite a bit. Find a seamstress in your town and see if she can do it. I'd actually take it to a few seamstresses - different seamstresses can do different things.
  • Options

it's possible if the corset closes all the way, and you have enough fabric to turn it into a zipper. But, the seamstress can't "leave the corset" so you get that structure, they would have to add an inner corset.  Inner corsets are structured differently than corset backs, and dresses with zippers usually already have an inner corset. 

I think if you have enough fabric, this is possible, but I would plan for probably $500-600 in alterations.  What you are asking for isn't going to be easy.

• Options
    Thanks for the answers everyone!

I asked about it at the salon and the owner (not seamstress) said it wasn't possible because of the structure of the corset, even with it being big and having the fabric.

I still wanted to ask on here though, because I had seen a few things about it but not a ton.

I might just settle for the corset, but I sure did want those buttons!

Thanks again y'all!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards