Chit Chat

Out of Curiosity

How about a little GTKY...

1) How many of you ladies used or plan to use a wedding website? What did you do with it / use it for? (ie rsvp's and pics / video of the wedding) Was it worth while?

2) What did / are you doing for music?

3) Same or different locations for the wedding and reception?

Re: Out of Curiosity

• 1) How many of you ladies used or plan to use a wedding website? What did you do with it / use it for? (ie rsvp's and pics / video of the wedding) Was it worth while?
    No wedding website for me. 

DJ

Originally it was going to be different locations, but now am thinking about using the same for ceremony and reception. 
  • MrsDeRuyter87MrsDeRuyter87 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited January 2014

1) I just used the site that TK has. I used it for mostly an explanation of the type of event we are having (non-traditional cocktail party reception) and to display registry information for my bridal shower because I don't like those stupid insert cards and didnt want to sound gift grabby by including registry info directly on the invite so instead my MOH who put together the invites directed guests to the website to learn more about our wedding.

2) we have a 3 piece band playing classical music during the pre/ceremony/post and a DJ for the reception.

3) ceremony and reception are in the same location however we are having guests go through the museum display areas while the room is flipped and we take pictures.

• 1. Yes we had a website. I put registry info, ceremony and reception addresses, hotel block info, pictures, etc. The website was free, I wouldnt have paid for it
    2. We had 4 piece band for ceremony music and a 7 or 8 piece band for the reception
    3. Different locations. I was married in a church and the reception was about 10 minutes away.
    (stuck in the box)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jdluvr06jdluvr06 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2014
    1. No wedding website. 2. iPod with set play lists 3. The ceremony and reception are in the same place. ETA: sorry. Paragraphs don't work on my iPad on this site for some reason.
  • emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    1) How many of you ladies used or plan to use a wedding website? What did you do with it / use it for? (ie rsvp's and pics / video of the wedding) Was it worth while?

No wedding website for me either. I just didn't feel like bothering with it.

We put together some playlists with Spotify for the reception, and our friend let us his DJ equipment. My dad and his brothers played recorder before our ceremony. We didn't have any other music (processional/recessional) during our ceremony.

Same location—my in-laws' yard. Ceremony at one end, reception at the other.

• 1) How many of you ladies used or plan to use a wedding website? What did you do with it / use it for? (ie rsvp's and pics / video of the wedding) Was it worth while?
    I started a wedding website but never finished it, mainly because it was a pain in the ass and time consuming and I thought to myself, "Who's really gonna look at this and need it?" So no website for us.

Whiles guests are sitting, we are playing Vitamin String Quartet music. During the ceremony, we are having our friend play the music on the violin. During cocktail hour and dinner we will play more Vitamin String Quartet music, and then during the dancing part of the reception, our friends' band will play.

Our ceremony and reception will be in the same room. After the ceremony, the guests will move down the hall to another room for cocktail hour while the venue staff switches the ceremony space to the reception space.
    Anniversary

• 1) We do plan to use a website. Mostly for registry info and to allow OOT guests who can't attend to see the pictures of out event.
    2) Not sure about music yet. FI is deaf so it seems a little moot.
    3) Same location. The wedding will be outdoors in the courtyard, with the reception on the main hall.
  • 1) We're not using a wedding website.

2) We are using a DJ. Although I would like a string quartet or violinist for the ceremony, but I would have to research to see if it is within budget. This is part of the bonus perk/not necessary category lol.

3) Our venue will be the same for both ceremony and reception. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• 1. We used a TK website.  We had a great time making it together.  The majority of our guests were OOT and some didn't know me/him very well so we included:

• Intro page with an engagement picture on a scenic bridge with the office we both work in slightly visible in the background.  Short blurbs about us (including some subtle shout outs to friends and family) and how we met.
    • Ceremony page with time, location, directions and a picture of the outside of the church.
    • Reception page with time, location, directions and a picture of the outside of the hotel. (which was very pretty and unique looking and would help guests know it when they saw it).
    • Guest Information page with a link to the hotel block and places around town for tourism.
    • A very short page with a blurb on our "Pittsburgh" wedding theme with a link to the NY Times article on Pittsburgh cookie tables since it was a neat local tradition we were planning that OOT guests wouldn't have heard of before.

Our STDs were actually an email to OOT guests and VIPs with a link to our website since most of them were asking for information shortly after our engagement.  We got a lot of positive feedback on our website.

2. DJ.  We had fun picking out a few song requests for him.  Our cocktail hour included a lot of Motown.

3. Ceremony in a church, reception at a hotel ballroom.

• 1. Yes I created a website but mainly for RSVP, driving directions to the site (road construction has one highway blocked off, so people need to take an alternate route), and registry info.
    2. spotify for music and not sure on sound equipment. Maybe renting a system.
    3. Same place, community center in the state park.
  • jlhart76jlhart76 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    double post
  • 1) Yes, we used google sites, which awesome FBIL password-protected for us. We felt that it was needed since alot of guests are OOT.  Literally, all of his family, about 1/3 of the guest list were OOT/OOC.  We included info about the area, where we have hotel blocks set up, closest airports, train stations and etc.  The 6-8 weeks would not have been enough for people to plan so we included the website on the Save The Dates.  There's a few photos and we're choosing not to allow online rsvps.  Is it worth it?  Wedding is still 6 months away, but I think it'll be a good resource for people traveling in if they haven't checked it out yet.

2) DJ for music. Nothing for ceremony yet, pending budget constraints.  Would be nice to get traditional music.

3) Same venue.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    We used a wedding website, we had a string trio for music, and our ceremony and reception were at the same venue. 

ETA: Our wedding website had some background about us, who the wedding party was and how we know them, what we would be serving, and some info about hotels and tourist attractions for OOTers. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We are using weebly just for info and links to book hotels, organ and string quartet for ceremony, DJ for reception, ceremony is at FI's church and reception is at a children's museum. 
  • 1. Yes we have a wedding website, it will have guest info about the hotel block, local dining, wedding/reception location, registry info, a little back ground info ..the usual

2. We will be having a dj for the ceremony and reception.

3. Yep wedding and reception in the same place.

Anniversary
  • No wedding website -- we have such a small guest list that word-of-mouth covers it all (for once!)

iPod for music -- our venue is so small that they don't allow DJs or amplified music. We could have non-amplified live musicians, but FI didn't want live music. So, we'll be plugging an iPod into the little two-speaker sound system they have.

Same overall location -- we're getting married at a winery, and having the reception in their small, stone carriage house. If the weather is good, we'll have the ceremony outside on the adjoining two-tier deck, overlooking the vineyard. If the weather is crappy, the ceremony will be in the carriage house, too.

No website - not a fan of them 
    We plan on just linking a laptop up to speakers and then plan on having a african band to play some traditional stuff
    Different we think but might end up being the same, it depends on where we get
    I'm using theknot website.  It really takes no time at all to setup.  I didn't fill it with all the information that IMO no one reads - just kept it simple with guest information such as accommodations, wedding logistics (wedding is on grass so I mentioned this so women will wear appropriate footwear), and things to do in the area as most guests are OOT and it is sort of a vacation spot.  If you google my name with my fiance's the website comes right up which I think is really helpful.  I also added a bar code of the website to the back of our Save The Dates.

Band!  My parents really wanted a band and my fiance and I did all the research and scouted out the perfect band.  I can't wait!  Some bands were ridiculously expensive so this was somewhat off putting but eventually we found the right one :)  We're probably having guitar for the ceremony and cocktail hour.

All same location - outdoor ceremony on the grass overlooking the water, cocktail hour then tented reception.  The "after party" which is a bonfire and accommodations are on the premises as well
    I haven't set up a wedding website. I probably will once I have more work done booking vendors. I would most likely put venue info, parking, things to do, hotel info, registry info on the website.

We plan to have a violinist for the ceremony and a DJ for the reception.

We are having our ceremony and reception in the same location. Ceremony will be outside (weather permitting...there is a plan b room inside) and the reception in the ballroom inside.

I plan to use a wedding website for general information, like maps, hotel information (it's not a DW but we'd like to make things easy for our OOT guests), registry information, and a few need-to-know details (like how we're planning an outdoor ceremony, weather pending, so guests know to dress accordingly). We may include a short paragraph about us and the proposal, but that's yet to be determined. 

We're hoping to have live music for the ceremony (acoustic guitar and singing) and will be using our own professional sound system and playlist for the ceremony with an acquaintance emceeing. 

Same! So easy :)
  • 1) How many of you ladies used or plan to use a wedding website? What did you do with it / use it for? (ie rsvp's and pics / video of the wedding) Was it worth while? --We have one, it's just to update guests on where it'll be at, where we're registered, info about the both of us, fun 'GTK' stuff about everyone in our wedding party.

2) What did / are you doing for music? -- We know a DJ whose kids we know and he's done a lot of his family's parties. 

3) Same or different locations for the wedding and reception? -- Same location. The entire building used to be an all girls Catholic school a long time ago. The chapel is large enough for our guests and there's two recpetion rooms, one for cocktails the other for dinner and dancing and there's even a children's room so the kids have a space to play and be kids. It's literally the perfect place for us.

Just can't wait til July 11th, 2015!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • 1.  I am not planning on making a wedding website.

2. For the ceremony, I would like to see if we can get a string trio (or whatever number) possibly from a local high school to save on costs.  If it ends up being out of the budget, we will just set up something to play the songs on a boombox with speakers dispersed or something.  As for the reception, the plan is to make an iTunes playlist and leave it at that.

3. We haven't booked it yet, but we want it to be at the same venue.  Outdoor ceremony with an indoor or tented reception.

We're using ours. I am not using it for RSVP's, it's really just for the guests to have all the information in one spot. I put up hotel recommendations. things to do in the area. the time the ceremony starts, and the location, plus registry links and blurbs about us.

2) What did / are you doing for music? We hired a DJ. Originally we were going to have our friend do it, but we realized we didn't really want to make a guest have to run the music at the same time.

3) Same or different locations for the wedding and reception? Same! I HATE making people travel to a different place for the reception so it's all at the same venue, different areas though.
  • 1) How many of you ladies used or plan to use a wedding website? What did you do with it / use it for? (ie rsvp's and pics / video of the wedding) Was it worth while?

I wasn't going to do it (I didn't want to be bothered) but FI WANTED to do one.  Since he is a web designer I let him run with it and as long it looked nice I didn't care. We put a few of our engagement pictures up, he put a wedding countdown clock, menu description, registry info, bridal party info and the venue information.  I have no idea if it was worth while since I have no idea how many people (if any) have looked at it.  FI liked doing it and he has had little interest in most of the wedding plans so it was an easy area to just let him do what he wanted.

A friend is playing the live music for the prelude and ceremony. We are using the DJ's equipment for mics and speakers (along with one song during the ceremony).  

Same.  At the time we didn't have a church we attended regularly, let alone were members of.  Once we decided on a January wedding I wanted an all-in-one venue  so that if the weather was iffy people only had to get out of the car once.  The venue we found has the added perk of an on-site salon and spa so we can get our hair and make-up done on site as well.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • pittiemama14pittiemama14 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2014
    1) no website, I personally find them a little AW ish
    2) ceremony, chapel provided. reception, we did not have music or dancing
    3)ceremony was done at a small chapel, reception was a catered lunch at one of the houses we rented for the familes for the weekend, and cake from the grocery store, followed by foosball, ping pong , and air hockey in the basement and board games upstairs.
  • How about a little GTKY... 1) How many of you ladies used or plan to use a wedding website? What did you do with it / use it for? (ie rsvp's and pics / video of the wedding) Was it worth while? 2) What did / are you doing for music? 3) Same or different locations for the wedding and reception?
    1. We made a Weebly site for information. It was okay.
    2. We had an organist for the ceremony and an iPod for the reception.
    3. Same location -- the ceremony was upstairs in the sanctuary and the reception was downstairs in the fellowship hall.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards