Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Sets Vs. Individuals

Which is best to register for, sets or individual items? (I'm talking about things like pots and pans, utensils, etc.)

Re: Sets Vs. Individuals

• Options
    I am registering for both. The sets are not cheap, and I am really not sure if anyone would want to spend that much (in my area, boxed gifts are for the shower only, and $400 is a lot for a shower gift). But maybe people want to go in on a joint gift, plus the sets are cheaper per item if you break them down. But I also registered for singles of the items not in the sets (different size pots etc.) There is no harm in registering for both and then you can always exchange if you end up with sizes that aren't what you really need. Or use gift cards for the set at the end.
  • Options
    I did the same as @majesty318 for our pans and china.  I figured if no one bought it for us then we could use cash/gift cards to buy the set (that is usually cheaper than buying open stock) and if we only got one or two items that we could return them for store credit and then apply that to the sets.

This week I did end up removing our Calphalon Contemporary set from our Macy's registry.  I picked up a 14" covered omelet pan for $39.99 at a door buster sale and FI bought me a 8" and 10" pan for Christmas for $49.00 (I took the ad to him and said if you are still looking for ideas I want THIS. lol)  With the three skillets I don't need the full set anymore...

Even if someone gets you the set and someone gets you a single item it may be smart to keep both if you have the storage space.  It helps to have multiples when you are cooking sometimes, you don't have to stop and keep washing things to finish dinner.  :)
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    I am registering for both. The sets are not cheap, and I am really not sure if anyone would want to spend that much (in my area, boxed gifts are for the shower only, and $400 is a lot for a shower gift). But maybe people want to go in on a joint gift, plus the sets are cheaper per item if you break them down. But I also registered for singles of the items not in the sets (different size pots etc.) There is no harm in registering for both and then you can always exchange if you end up with sizes that aren't what you really need. Or use gift cards for the set at the end.
    If I saw a set and the same individual pieces on a registry, I would not get either.  I don't want to be that guest that buys a pot or some frying and then the bride opens up a complete set that includes what I just got!  
  • Options
    JoanE2012 I registered for the set + individual pieces that do not come in the set.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards