Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Buying Photog's Pictures

I was recently at a friend's wedding and loved their photographer and the photos.  She sent out a few links about her photographer having a 50% off special - I ordered 2 photos for about $18 total including shipping - no digital copies.  Is this normal or ridiculous?  Honestly I would never normally pay this much for a picture but it was so cute haha! 

Now second part of my question - for my wedding we have all the rights to the photos and my photographer said my package includes a "DVD of high res images is all of the images in original (not reduced) high quality with enhancement and touch ups and includes the copyright release so you can use the images for your personal use indefinitely. So yes, kind of the rights to the images as long as they do not get re-sold etc… they are for you and your family's personal use only. Printing, sharing online, copying for friends and family is all totally cool, just don't re-sell to magazines and advertising agencies and you're good. I hope this makes sense."  So I assume my friend did not get this as part of her package?  I want to be able to put the images up on a site (full res) so guests can download / print etc.  What would be the best way to do this?  I want our friends and family to be able to take advantage of our fantastic photographer at no cost (besides printing of course).  I assume on FB pictures are lower resolution?

Re: Buying Photog's Pictures

• Options
    We got the same rights as you, and a DVD with all our images on it. But our photographer also set up a website where people could go see all the images. You could order prints for about the same price you paid, or you could download the images and order your own prints. Talk to your photographer to see if they set up a site like this for you. If not, you can upload the high-res photos to Flickr. Facebook pictures are really low quality, but Flickr (and SmugMug too, I think, as well as Shutterfly) all keep the original quality of the image you upload.
  • Options
    We have reprinting rights as well and I am going to put them up on Shutterfly for people to order prints if they want.  For anyone who requests it I will gladly share the digital file for them to keep.

For our engagement pictures I did this and it worked out great.  I actually took the USB drive to both parents houses and downloaded all of them to their computers so they can do whatever they want with them.

It sounds like your friend may not have had this option or didn't want to mess with the work of putting the pictures up themselves.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    She put some on facebook (not the one I wanted) and I e-mailed her saying how awesome her photographer was and that I was going to order some since it was 50% off.  She responded to me but didn't offer a digital copy of the photo so I guess not - oh well!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards