Snarky Brides
Options

guest list snark

Hi! Hope everyone's having a great holiday season :)
Just wanted to share:

FI sat down with his mom this week to hammer out their side of the guest list. They have a large family, most of whom FI doesn't like. Since it's his second wedding we're keeping the "obligation" invites to a minimum, or trying to.

FI has a first cousin who is married, and they exhibit fairly reprehensible behavior. FI loathes Cousin for a variety of reasons. Months back when FI changed his Facebook status to engaged, among the congratulatory comments was Cousin offering to DJ our wedding. FI never responded. Come to find out, Cousin and his wife and his sister told FI's aunt they'd boycott the wedding because FI wouldn't let Cousin be the DJ.
Can you believe it? FMIL said even she doesn't want drama at the wedding and said she'd find out the latest on the status of this supposed boycott. Her sister's kids are absolutely an "obligation invite" but if we can cut three jerks from the guest list, awesome.

Considering I never even want to meet these people based on what I've heard, well, merry Christmas to me!

Re: guest list snark

• Options
    Hi! Hope everyone's having a great holiday season :) Just wanted to share: FI sat down with his mom this week to hammer out their side of the guest list. They have a large family, most of whom FI doesn't like. Since it's his second wedding we're keeping the "obligation" invites to a minimum, or trying to. FI has a first cousin who is married, and they exhibit fairly reprehensible behavior. FI loathes Cousin for a variety of reasons. Months back when FI changed his Facebook status to engaged, among the congratulatory comments was Cousin offering to DJ our wedding. FI never responded. Come to find out, Cousin and his wife and his sister told FI's aunt they'd boycott the wedding because FI wouldn't let Cousin be the DJ. Can you believe it? FMIL said even she doesn't want drama at the wedding and said she'd find out the latest on the status of this supposed boycott. Her sister's kids are absolutely an "obligation invite" but if we can cut three jerks from the guest list, awesome. Considering I never even want to meet these people based on what I've heard, well, merry Christmas to me!
    Sorry about the stressful guest list. Just a word of advice, you're making assumptions about people you have never met based off of hearsay and that's often not the most appropriate behavior while planning a wedding. Unless this cousin told you and your FI that he was boycotting, it shouldn't be a factor in your decision making process. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Give them the benefit of a doubt, but find out how the situation is.  If they have an issue with your FI, that should come out before the wedding, not on the wedding day. 

• Options
    kerbohl said:
    Give them the benefit of a doubt, but find out how the situation is.  If they have an issue with your FI, that should come out before the wedding, not on the wedding day. 
    Bold - That is the important word in that sentence lol. Most people believe things like this should but majority of the time, it doesn't, which sucks.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    This might be way off but there is a possibility they made a poor joke that someone took the wrong way and telephoned it incorrectly to you. Your FI should be calling them to clear up any issues like this and if they are indeed boycotting then you can go from there. If they aren't you've avoided a bunch of family drama that could have been terrible.
  • Options
    When I first starting planning, I was super concerned with the guest list.  We wanted to keep it small, so we clamped down and our guest list is 50 people - TOTAL (including us!).  I've certainly cut out about 95% of my ginormous family; his family is small and will all be invited.  We'll actually have more friends there than anyone else, but that's who we spend the most time with.  I grew up long-distance from my family, so it's not that they're strangers or that I don't want to share our day with them, it comes down to logistics and finance.  It's a destination wedding and we're paying for everything.

It's tough, but at the end of the day, anyone who has planned a wedding will understand.  Invite who you WANT.  Don't feel obligated to invite anyone.  If you don't really want them there - DON'T invite them.  They'll get over it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards