New Jersey
Options

young, newly engaged and need help!

Hi!
So I was just engaged on Dec 5th and already so overwhelmed with the venue selection.
Our budget is about 25k on the venue(food, tax, service) included - abt 150 people (approx. $160 p/p)

I am going to see the following places so far:
- The Grove
- The one and only Westmount Country Club
- The Ashford Estate

Any thoughts on those? I actually decided to go to those places because of the recommendations that I read here on the knot and other wedding websites but just looking for any updates and if I am being realistic with those places.

Any other recommendations for venues that you might have would be greatly appreciated as well.

I am looking for a castle/mansion/chateau type of place as I want it to be stylish, unique, secluded and beautiful.

Thoughts?

Re: young, newly engaged and need help!

• Options
    Congratulations on getting engaged!!! Just wanted to let you know that The Ashford Estate is very expensive. It is 22,000 just to rent the estate and thats not including catering. Not too sure of the pricing on the Westmount or The Grove. The Palace at Somerset Park is in your price range!
  • Options
    Congratulations!  Check out the Knoll West Country Club in Parsippany.  I believe it's within your range, and it's absolutely beautiful.  The front part reminded me a lot of a living room in an estate, and it's beautiful. 

Don't forget to account for sales tax and gratuity in your budget.  Many places charge 18-21% for gratuity.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Congratulations!  We actually have exactly the same guest numbers, similar budget, and booked at Highlawn Pavilion, $22k for 150 including tax and service charge.  That's a Saturday evening in May, obviously it will be more or less depending on month and day of the week.  I haven't heard of the other venues you mentioned-- sorry I can't give input on those.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I pretty sure The Grove will not fit in your budget. Last I heard was it started at $200 pp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I actually live around the corner from the Knoll Country Club West and have been there for several parties and my Junior Prom. I agree with silver: it is very beautiful and I believe it would fit in your price range. I also hear that the people are very friendly and helpful! Good luck with your venue search! I feel your pain, as I am going to start mine this weekend. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I spoke to Westmount & Grove when we were first venue searching. We booked with short notice so some of the prices we got are probably a better deal than normal, but here you go...

Grove told me $160 plus tax & tip for a Saturday in the spring. Westmount was texting me with dates they were trying to give away. The cheapest they offered me was $155 plus tax & tip for a Friday in March. Both of those were way out of my budget.

We ultimately chose the Knoll Country Club but the east building. We are paying $115 including tax & tip for a Saturday in May.

• Options
    We are getting married at The Palace at Somerset Park in July.  We LOVED it the second we walked in...clean lines, great service, and has a lot of elegance.  We are getting married on a Friday night but are right around your price range.  While they were unable to budge on price for us we were able to negotiate a few extra items into the contract.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    The Grove will not fit in your budget. I was quoted $229 p/p plus tax & gratuity with a 250 person minimum for a Saturday in August.

Check out Brentonwoods in Morris Plains. Phone number is 973-538-9000. When I spoke with Joe, he quoted me $120pp + tax, service & gratuity for a Saturday.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Similar to @majesty318, Westmount tried to convince us to book less desirable dates because we could only guarantee a minimum of 125.  In fact, the ONLY date they offered us was a Sunday in late October at 11am.  That price came to $145pp before tax and gratuity.  We wound up at the Palace at Somerset Park on a Friday night and had a great experience.  

You may want to ask what the price ranges are prior to making the appointment, or you may fall in love with a venue that is out of your budget.  Good luck!  
  • Options
    The Grove offered me a Wednesday or Thursday (via email) when I told them my minimum was 100. No thanks! Louis at The Knoll is amazing. @Majesty318, you got a great price! Louis quoted us $150/pp at the west for a Saturday before tax/gratuity. We loved it, but it just felt like it was too big of a venue for our guest list.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    silver0319, I know! It was too good to pass up! We were lucky because we booked in September for May... everyone with availability was throwing deals at us to get us to book :)
  • Options
    You may want to try Crystal Plaza-- not sure about their minimums but its in your price range and definitely elegant.
  • Options
    Hi everyone - thank you so much for your feedback and I think we have decided on a place.... THE ROCKLEIGH CLUB!

Here are the prices we were quoted everywhere else we visited.

The Grove - $165 + service/tax
    The Westmount Country club - $125 + service/tax (no food included)
    Somerset Palace - $169 + service/tax
    The Rockleigh club - $125 + service/tax (no food). This was absolutely stunning and I couldnt be any happier!

• Options
    What does that mean "no food included?" Does this mean you would need to hire caterers?
  • Options
    I have been to 4 weddings at Westmount, 3 of which were my family. I have never heard of them offering service/tax with no food? I'm confused?
  • Options
    Whatever you do OP, don't have a church wedding with a gap (that is inevitable when booking a ceremony at a church and a reception - no matter which way you work it) between because they will rip you a new asshole.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 132 adults and 3 kids are party animals
    image 40 are party poopers
    image 0 awaiting reply
    Need 8 adults to make minimum.  Eek.
  • Options
    It is not a castle, but you might be interested in the Park Avenue Club in Florham Park. It is currently a private dining club with profits supporting 11 local charities (not a wedding/catering hall) with AMAZING food and service. The building itself was an old Dairy Barn long ago and it was saved and restored by a bunch of philanthropists. It has a lot of character is definitely something a little different. Like I said, it is not a castle, but it has some of the more intimate/classic touches that you might not find at a typical venue. Plus, their prices are more inline with your budget. Just a thought! Good luck. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards