Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Registering for Gifts

Does anyone know what the etiquette is for this?   How do you word your invitations? 

Re: Registering for Gifts

• Options
    Most etiquette says to not mention gifts at all on an invitation unless one is asking for donations to a certain organization in lieu of gifts. 

In general, people will ask where you are registered, so make sure your mom, BFF, MIL, MOH, etc. know the deets to furnish for anyone who asks.

I usually just google the names of the betrothed and registries will often pop up.

• Options
    Most etiquette says to not mention gifts at all on an invitation unless one is asking for donations to a certain organization in lieu of gifts. 

In general, people will ask where you are registered, so make sure your mom, BFF, MIL, MOH, etc. know the deets to furnish for anyone who asks.

I usually just google the names of the betrothed and registries will often pop up.

• Options

Even if you are doing a destination wedding?  Just have my wedding party tell people coming to the wedding that their attendance is present enough and those who are not attending, let them know where?

• Options
    You should register regardless of whether you want gifts or not because some people will buy them regardless and better to get something you want, or can return, than some random thing they came up with because you weren't registered and no way to swap it for something you'd actually use.

I would never mention registries on invites or even in the invite envelope; I think it's very tacky, and I've seen some over the top ones like the registry location is the first thing you see when you open the card.

Put it on the wedding website or just tell people verbally as they ask; the info will make it around easily enough.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    My brother used the line "Your presence is out present".   I agree with VintageCircus - expecting people to pay a grand and then pip for a gift is tacky.   Then again you could live in Vegas and I am just an idiot assuming.
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2014
    My brother used the line "Your presence is out present".   I agree with VintageCircus - expecting people to pay a grand and then pip for a gift is tacky.   Then again you could live in Vegas and I am just an idiot assuming.
    You could say this in person, but I wouldn't put any mention of gifts, even if you're saying "no gifts", on the invitations.

It is perfectly okay (and expected) to put registry info on the shower invitations and your wedding website. You can include the URL to your wedding website on your STD and wedding invitation insert cards.

We didn't expect or want any gifts either, but we did make a small registry since my family kept asking my mom. We decided to ask for a couple sets of new sheets, some new towels, and a few, small kitchen things we could use. We didn't have anything big on there, nothing over $100.

If this is a DW for you, I imagine most guests will give you cash or a check. I didn't have a shower (didn't want one), so we got a few gifts off the registry from relatives back home who couldn't make it and then cash and checks from those who came to Vegas. Some people didn't give us a gift, and that was perfectly fine since we weren't expecting anything and people had spent money to come to Vegas. I was just so happy people had come to our wedding. We had a blast.
  • Options
    Our wedding was last year in May, and on our wedding website (we included the link on our save the dates) we added where we were registered at. For my bridal shower, most of my guests asked the host if I was registered anywhere and she let them know. I received a lot of my gifts that were on our registry at my bridal shower plus a lot of gift cards to places they asked the host we would like. At the wedding, all of our guests gave us wedding cards that included either cash or visa gift cards. Once we were back home, we had gifts people had shipped to us from our registry as well. It's a good idea to register regardless because guests want options. If they don't want to give you something from the registry , then they will always give you cash or giftcard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards