Chit Chat
Options

handkerchief for wedding

Morning! My FMIL texted me last night and asked if I wanted to use a family handkerchief that is blue and purple (something old, something borrowed, something blue) and ironically our colors are blue and purple. But my question for you ladies is where does the handkerchief go??  As in, where would I put it on my body for the wedding? I never thought about one nor really wanted one, but it's something she'd like us to do.
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: handkerchief for wedding

• Options
    I'm not sure. I had a cousin who had her bouquet tied with a handkerchief instead of a ribbon? I've also seen brides skip the bouquet altogether and just carry the hanky.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    urbaneca said:
    I'm not sure. I had a cousin who had her bouquet tied with a handkerchief instead of a ribbon? I've also seen brides skip the bouquet altogether and just carry the hanky.
    Ew :/ my fiance mentioned tucking it into my garter but I'd be terrified of it falling out lol
  • Options
    I think I'd be more likely to stick it in my bra than in my garter... I honestly have no idea though.

I'm carrying a reticule instead of a bouquet, so I would just stick it in the reticule.
  • Options
    urbaneca said:
    I think I'd be more likely to stick it in my bra than in my garter... I honestly have no idea though.

I'm carrying a reticule instead of a bouquet, so I would just stick it in the reticule.
    Yeah, I definitely want my bouquet. No changing that lol. LOL true, I guess I could stuff it in my corset :/ I told him he could wear it in his jacket for me lol
  • Options
    Fair enough. I have allergies, so flowers were never going to be an option for me, and I figured why not have somewhere to put my lipstick and tissues?

Yeah, I think that's probably going to be your best option. lol
  • Options
    urbaneca said:
    Fair enough. I have allergies, so flowers were never going to be an option for me, and I figured why not have somewhere to put my lipstick and tissues?

Yeah, I think that's probably going to be your best option. lol
    I hear you, my brother is allergic as well. It's all lace. lol I think it would look hilarious in his pocket... but IDK where else it could go? I might just ask her what she thinks.
  • Options
    LOL that would be pretty funny. I'm out of ideas. Sorry.
  • Options
    It's cool, I appreciate the brain storming :)
  • Options

I've got a "magic hanky"- this was a wedding hanky that my mother added some ribbon and a few stiches to to make a christening bonnet for me. Before my wedding in a few weeks, we're pulling it out of my christening items and snipping the stiches. I plan on wrapping it around my bouquet in case I need it.

There's some kind of poem that goes with the hanky. If I can find it, I'll repost....I do know that it's normally given as a gift (in my family) to new parents, and the last lines include a comment about brides needing something old, it becoming a wedding hanky, and then the few lines I can remember "and if perchance it is a boy; one day he'll surely wed. What better gift to give his bride; than the hanky once worn upon his head."

• Options

I've got a "magic hanky"- this was a wedding hanky that my mother added some ribbon and a few stiches to to make a christening bonnet for me. Before my wedding in a few weeks, we're pulling it out of my christening items and snipping the stiches. I plan on wrapping it around my bouquet in case I need it.

There's some kind of poem that goes with the hanky. If I can find it, I'll repost....I do know that it's normally given as a gift (in my family) to new parents, and the last lines include a comment about brides needing something old, it becoming a wedding hanky, and then the few lines I can remember "and if perchance it is a boy; one day he'll surely wed. What better gift to give his bride; than the hanky once worn upon his head."

lol that's cute, but I highly doubt this was on his head. She found it in her mother's items while cleaning out her house since his grandma moved to an assisted living home.
  • Options
    Maybe you could pin it underneath your dress?
  • Options
    Oooh. That might work. Maybe to my skirt if I end up wearing it.
  • Options

Oooh. That might work. Maybe to my skirt if I end up wearing it.

I was thinking the same thing. Pin it in your skirt or under your corset.
  • Options
    thanks! :)
  • Options
    I carried my great-grandmother's handkerchief at my wedding. Honestly it was small/thin enough that I folded it so that it was not much bigger than my hand and carried it right along with my bouquet. It was non-intrusive and actually came in handy when I decided to ugly-cry right in the middle of my vows.
  • Options

My family also does the "Magic Hanky".  My mom gave me my hanky and I tucked it down into my bra.  I'm not a cryer, so I knew I wouldn't need it and just put it somewhere out of the way!

• Options
    I had one (my something old) wrapped around my bouquet. I had another that my mom bought specifically for my wedding years ago that I just carried. I'm a crier so I needed a hanky anyways. I balled it up in my hand when my MOH had my bouquet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards