Catholic Weddings

Catholic mass **readings**?

Hello ladies!
                   I have a quick question regarding readings during a Catholic mass. I know traditionally the first ready is from Old Testament and second it from new. I was just curious is they have to be from the bible. we wanted to have the first from OT, and the second a poem we both love (How Do I Love Thee). Anyone know if this would be allowed, or do we have to stick with the NT for second reading. we are meeting with the priest on Sunday, but was curious. thanks!

Re: Catholic mass **readings**?

• edited December 2011
    No you cant choose your own readings at all outside the bible. The first has to be from the old testament, the second from the new and everything in between has to reflect the church's teachings. If you want, go to this link and look at the readings part. It gives you a complete explanation.
    http://catholicweddinghelp.com/wedding-planning/06-choose-readings.htm
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 185 Tried Out for the Team image 153 Starters
    image 28 Were Cut image 0 Are Benched
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you could have someone read the poem at the reception, or post it up somewhere (frame it and put it on the gift table?) for guests to read at their own leisure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    PS. Im also doing deep purple and hints of purple for my wedding colors :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 185 Tried Out for the Team image 153 Starters
    image 28 Were Cut image 0 Are Benched
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto the others: if it is really meaningful, include it in a program, at the reception or framed somewhere. Your readings will need to be the OT, psalm, NT (epistle) and Gospel, just like at other liturgies.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What PPs said.

However, if you're not set on an old testament reading yet, there is a very, ummmm, physical reading from the Song of Songs that we actually used at our wedding.

Click on the picture to make it bigger.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • edited December 2011
    thanks I appreciate the feed back! I had another reading we liked, but thought I'd ask. I think we are going to include the poem on the back of the program. thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards