Ohio-Columbus

Catholic Wedding Processional Music...

What music selection did you use to walk down the aisle? I am having a hard time narrowing it down. I love Canon in D, but would really like to find something else for my entrance? Thoughts? I know the music needs to be religious/classical.

Thanks! I am full of questions this week! Love all the ideas/help :)

~M

Re: Catholic Wedding Processional Music...

• I'm Episcopalian, but we had similar restrictions on music choices. We used Pucell's trumpet tune to come down the aisle and Clark's trumpet voluntary to leave. (Pucell- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngn77Nl9HIk Clark- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lTTWraugCI). 

My sister in law sang You who dwell in the shelter of the lord (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXTPnEJ8-CM) before communion, she has an exceptional voice. 

Does the church have a music director/organist/ etc? You might want to ask them for a list of music. Our organist had a list of approved songs and a few suggestions to choose from and we worked with him, our trumpeter, and my SIL to choose songs from that list.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2014

Here is what I did for my first wedding…I happened to still have the program in my files :-p

My second wedding was not in the church so I went waaaaaay off the reservation and walked in to "Calling You" by Blue October and out to "This Will Be" be Natalie Cole - I was pretty excited to be able to pick ANYTHING I wanted!

Prelude

Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring …………………….J. S. Bach 

The Gift of Love…….….American Folk Tune (arr. Hopson)

Arioso…………………….…………………..J. S. Bach

Wherever You Go…….…………………………..D. Haas

Sheep May Safely Graze ……………………….J. S. Bach (Seating of the Mothers)

Processional

Canon in D Major………….…………………J. Pachelbel (WP)

Procesión Alegre……………………………..….G. Cornell (me. this often a recessional, but I had trumpeters and had them skip the intro. I came in when the horn crescendo, talk about an entrance ;-p)

Recessional

Allegro Maestoso (Hornpipe)………………....G. F. Handel 

:kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• donethatdonethat member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2014

Whoever is preforming or playing your wedding ceremony music (Church pianist or organist?  Harpist or guitarist?  DJ?) should be a good source for music ideas ... don't forget that!

Here are a few of my (under-used) favs to consider (along with Canon in D)

Ariosa in A (Bach)    Air on a G String    (Bach)      Rhapsody on a Theme of Paginini (Rachmaninoff)   Ode to Joy (Beethoven)      Great Gates of Kiev/Pictures at an Exhibition  (Mussorgsky)   Promenade  (Mussorgsky)     Dream of Love  (Listz)     

• edited January 2014
    saacjw said: My sister in law sang You who dwell in the shelter of the lord 

I
    totally wanted this song - it's my favorite communion song & called "On Eagles Wings" in the Catholic Church. However, my priest refused to let me use it bc it is a "funeral song." That's what he said and would't let me use it during the wedding. Seriously?? The Catholic church is waaaaay to strict with the music choices sometimes. :-p

• saacjwsaacjw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2014
    saacjw said: 
    My sister in law sang You who dwell in the shelter of the lord 

I totally wanted this song - it's my favorite communion song & called "On Eagles Wings" in the Catholic Church. However, my priest refused to let me use it bc it is a "funeral song." That's what he said and would't let me use it during the wedding. Seriously?? The Catholic church is waaaaay to strict with the music choices sometimes. :-p

Too bad. I wonder if it varies priest to priest; my sister in law is very devout Catholic and she picked out the song (It was literally a "can I sing at you're wedding" "hell yes" "what should I sing" "don't care, pick something out" conversation). I'd expect her to know something like that. Or she'll pick the song for her wedding and have the same "huh" reaction too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2014
    saacjw said:
    saacjw said: 
    My sister in law sang You who dwell in the shelter of the lord 

I totally wanted this song - it's my favorite communion song & called "On Eagles Wings" in the Catholic Church. However, my priest refused to let me use it bc it is a "funeral song." That's what he said and would't let me use it during the wedding. Seriously?? The Catholic church is waaaaay to strict with the music choices sometimes. :-p

Too bad. I wonder if it varies priest to priest; my sister in law is very devout Catholic and she picked out the song (It was literally a "can I sing at you're wedding" "hell yes" "what should I sing" "don't care, pick something out" conversation). I'd expect her to know something like that. Or she'll pick the song for her wedding and have the same "huh" reaction too. 
    No, it's a communion song so it is totally fine to use. My priest just said it was a funeral communion song. It was his call. It's not only for funerals IMHO - heck it gets sung a weekly mass all the time. He just wouldn't let me for some odd reason :-p

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards