Wedding Invitations & Paper

Save the Dates...yes or no?

Did you/are you send/ing out save the date cards? It seems a little repetitive to me, but I kind of want to use them out to get the campground info out to our guests early. I would just like people to be able to make site reservations if they would like them! What are your thoughts on them? 

Re: Save the Dates...yes or no?

• Why would your guests need to make a reservation for a site?  I thought in a PP you said that your campsite ceremony was "only a short drive away" for your guests.  I also thought you mentioned that you are only having close family and friends that will be aware of all your plans, including the fact  that you are cutting food out of your reception to save money.  Why would you now want to waste money on STD cards?
  • first: I know many of our friends will want to camp for the weekend because we will be hanging out with them the following day.
    second: It doesn't matter why I am not serving a full on meal to people. I am allowed to spend my money wherever the hell I damn well please. I don't need anyone's approval on choosing one thing over the other. I never wanted to serve food. I wanted only dessert.
    third: why the hell are you commenting on my thread if you have no response to my actual question? You commented just to try to point out what you seem to think I am doing wrong with my wedding. I could careless what you think I am doing wrong. It's my day, not yours. I can "waste" my money on whatever the hell I want to "waste" it on. 
  • LacyHolly said:
    first: I know many of our friends will want to camp for the weekend because we will be hanging out with them the following day.
    second: It doesn't matter why I am not serving a full on meal to people. I am allowed to spend my money wherever the hell I damn well please. I don't need anyone's approval on choosing one thing over the other. I never wanted to serve food. I wanted only dessert.
    third: why the hell are you commenting on my thread if you have no response to my actual question? You commented just to try to point out what you seem to think I am doing wrong with my wedding. I could careless what you think I am doing wrong. It's my day, not yours. I can "waste" my money on whatever the hell I want to "waste" it on. 
    Had you simmered down a bit while reading, you would have seen my response.  I will repeat it for you.   WHY would you want to waste money on STD cards if your goal has always been to spend as little money as possible?  The more you post, the clearer your intentions become.  You now say that you NEVER had any intention on serving food.  I guess I have to wonder why you post on a wedding board to begin with when you clearly know exactly what you want to do, regardless of whether it is appropriate or polite.
  • LacyHolly said:
    Did you/are you send/ing out save the date cards? It seems a little repetitive to me, but I kind of want to use them out to get the campground info out to our guests early. I would just like people to be able to make site reservations if they would like them! What are your thoughts on them? 
    JIC
  • LacyHolly said:
    We did, but only sent them to FI's OOT guests (all of them are OOT by at least 2 1/2 hrs or more) and my immediate family. I would suggest sending them out if it's a matter of getting a spot in the campground. The reason we sent them to the OOT people is so they could make travel plans if needed.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I was just thinking we'd send them to out of town too ...well, and friends who we think will want to camp. I was just thinking it would be nice for them to make site reservations early so they can get the type of site they'd like. It's a fairly popular campground.
  • Anyone trying to save money should skip STDs. STDs should be one of the first things you cut as they are completely unnecessary. Favors are another early axe. Anything that doesn't effect your ability to properly host your guests should go, when trying to save money. I love STDs, but you can accomplish the same thing with a free email or phone call to people you think would want to reserve a campsite. GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• We sent out a save-the-date email. Initially, we were going to skip them, but we had a lot of out-of-town guests who started asking for info. Email is fast and free!
  • Agreed that if you want to save money, don't worry about them. I'd send an informal email around with the date and location.

Also keep in mind that you have to invite anyone who receives a STD, so you'd lock in your guest list early. 
  • I sent STD's. 100% of my guests are local so nobody had to make travel arrangements. They were completely unnecessary as well because we have a very small guest list and everyone already knew the date of the wedding. I did them anyways because I wanted them. If you are trying to save money you can definitely spread the info by word of mouth instead.
  • FI and I are not sending STDs.  They are a good idea for destination weddings or weddings with a lot of OOT guests.  So, they are not necessary, IMO, for your wedding if you want to save money.
  • I didn't do save the dates.   I rather save the money and use it toward's something else.  We only have a couple out of town guests, and let everyone know verbally the date. 
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    Save the money on STDs and put that money towards serving your guests a full meal.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Save-the-dates are optional. 

Do you have a lot of guests coming from out-of-town? 
  • We are not planning on serving a full meal, no matter what. I don't know why everyone keeps harping on me for that. It's not happening, please stop trying to tell me I need to or that I'm being rude by not doing it. It's not what we want to do. I know some people don't agree, but that happens. We do have a bunch of OOT guests coming...so I was thinking that was why I should send them. But, email and phone calls probably would work just as easily too! I think I just fell in love with the save the dates that I found, lol.
  • Well, I guess I should say not a bunch...but like 10 or 12 OOT people
  • LacyHolly said:
    We are not planning on serving a full meal, no matter what. I don't know why everyone keeps harping on me for that. It's not happening, please stop trying to tell me I need to or that I'm being rude by not doing it. It's not what we want to do. I know some people don't agree, but that happens. We do have a bunch of OOT guests coming...so I was thinking that was why I should send them. But, email and phone calls probably would work just as easily too! I think I just fell in love with the save the dates that I found, lol.
    Not going to happen. 

Furthermore, the fact that you have people coming from out of town makes your plan even more rude, which is kind of impressive at this point.

• LacyHolly said:
    We are not planning on serving a full meal, no matter what. I don't know why everyone keeps harping on me for that. It's not happening, please stop trying to tell me I need to or that I'm being rude by not doing it. It's not what we want to do. I know some people don't agree, but that happens. We do have a bunch of OOT guests coming...so I was thinking that was why I should send them. But, email and phone calls probably would work just as easily too! I think I just fell in love with the save the dates that I found, lol.
    What?!  I cannot believe you are even thinking about spending money sending STDs out yet you are too cheap to feed your guests properly?  Where are your priorities?  You are having OOT people.....they are taking the time out to TRAVEL to your wedding....the least you can do is give them a proper meal!  Not doing so is incredibly rude.  You must not like your family and friends very much.
  • JoanE2012 said:
    LacyHolly said:
    What?!  I cannot believe you are even thinking about spending money sending STDs out yet you are too cheap to feed your guests properly?  Where are your priorities?  You are having OOT people.....they are taking the time out to TRAVEL to your wedding....the least you can do is give them a proper meal!  Not doing so is incredibly rude.  You must not like your family and friends very much.
    Can't you read??  (Sarcasm, please) It's not what they WANT to do!  I am beginning to wonder if this is even a budget issue.
  • mobkaz said:
    JoanE2012 said:
    LacyHolly said:
    Can't you read??  (Sarcasm, please) It's not what they WANT to do!  I am beginning to wonder if this is even a budget issue.
    It can't be…it's at a campsite. A fire, hot dogs and sticks would cost less than $20. Hopefully the OOT guys bring their own weiners and buns and don't share with the B&G since they don't want to eat anything but dessert. sigh
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    I'm with Joan. I'm appalled that whether or not to spend money on STDs is even a question for you if you are not even hosting your guests properly. I can't imagine going out of town to a wedding and not being given a meal. And this is coming from me, THE biggest lover of desserts on this site. 

ETA: You wouldn't even have to host anything fancy, you know. I would love a campsite wedding with the smores as long as I also got some hot dogs and mac and cheese or something. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • LacyHolly said:
    first: I know many of our friends will want to camp for the weekend because we will be hanging out with them the following day.
    Yikes.  This escalated quickly. 
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited January 2014

if you are having a reception during lunch or dinner hours you are expected to serve a full meal if you dont that is tacky and i am sorry if you feel that way but if i was a guest at your wedding i spent an hour or 2 getting ready my other half is getting ready i have a 2 hour drive to this wedding and we have no time to stop at all except to fill the gas tank up

i get to your wedding and you have a small table with a few deserts you got at the grocery store i am hungry its hot out we have not had any thing to drink say i was diabetic i am not but lets just say i am i cant eat anything on that table

its your wedding weather it be small or a big affair if its around lunch or dinner time you need to properly host it could be snack foods like dips chips veggie cheese and cracker platters very inexpensive

so you are saying id rather spend 150 on save the dates not feed anyone and expect them to show up
  • We JUST sent our our STD's, it's a great reminder if you haven't told alot of people when your date is.  I did alot of online reading and they seemed to be a pretty popular thing to make and send out so that's what we did.  We'll be sending out our invites the 1st of March...pretty soon after sending out our STD's but owell! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We JUST sent our our STD's, it's a great reminder if you haven't told alot of people when your date is.  I did alot of online reading and they seemed to be a pretty popular thing to make and send out so that's what we did.  We'll be sending out our invites the 1st of March...pretty soon after sending out our STD's but owell! 
    Those are cute Crystal! I ended up getting some done for less than $20 because we didn't need to send many out since we are having a small wedding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards