Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Gahhh. Not enough chairs for everyone at seated dinner?

CaliMel11CaliMel11 member
5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
edited January 2014 in Wedding Reception Forum
Obviously I'm going to contact the venue and ask for another table to be added.
But I just realized when I was looking at our table layout that the venue is not providing enough tables for everyone and stupid me didn't even realize that would be a problem and signed a contract saying that we are renting 12 tables that seat 8. Which is 96 peoples seats when we are renting 110 chairs for the reception.
First off, where in the world are they putting those extra 14 chairs? It should be 13 or even 14 tables instead!
Second off, why didn't I notice this earlier?

My fiance has no idea why this is even a big deal and was telling me I was "freaking out" over it, when I wasn't. I just firmly was saying that not having enough chairs/tables for everyone to be able to sit down during dinner was completely not acceptable. I know some people aren't going to show up, and we'll probably have a whole extra table. But I would much rather expect everyone to come and want to sit down and have it available than just not have a table there!
He even told me that we should just take the extra chairs and put them out so people can squeeze into tables, or set some tables with 9 people at them [which I don't want to do because I don't want uneven numbers since most people will be couples]

Am I nuts for worrying about this? I feel like everyone thinks I'm over reacting by wanting there to be enough or even a little extra room for people.

I'll have to email the coordinator but i feel like a total doofus for not noticing that when she emailed the layout plan to me! I also feel dumb because it almost made me start crying when I realized that this had happened, and I just am so upset about it. I know it's not the end of the world and easily fixable, but it's stressing me out.

Re: Gahhh. Not enough chairs for everyone at seated dinner?

• Options
    When is your wedding? If you haven't given them final RSVP counts, they may be working off an assumption that a few people (14 in this case) may decline. Either way, I would bring it up with them to ensure that there will be enough tables and chairs for everyone, but I wouldn't freak out that this is going to ruin anything. 
  • Options
    Relax.  As long as your venue capacity is high enough (the amount allowed by fire issues), you will make this work.  If you get over 96 "yes" RSVPs, you will get the venue to add more tables, rent more tables yourself, or see if the venue's tables can actually fit 8-10 rather than 8 max.  You will make this work.  
  • Options
    Don't let embarrassment stop you from contacting the coordinator.  It's a simple mistake, and an easy one to make considering that the number of chairs listed in the agreement is correct.  Contact the coordinator (who I'm sure has seen worse than this,and who should handle your concern professionally) and let her know you'd like 14 tables. 

You are right to make sure that every guest has a seat and every seat has a table. Sure, if you have some guests decline that may mean fewer tables but it's better to secure the 14 that you could need now.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, we're getting married in April, so we still have some time. I am sure that they did that since not everyone is going to RSVP yes. But I still would much rather just assume everyone is coming and have the tables set up than not have enough places to sit for everyone.

Thank you all for responding and making me feel better.

I feel silly for worrying about such a dumb thing, but I have been to events where there were not enough chairs for everyone. it was uncomfortable as a guest to have to try to figure out where to sit and it just made us all feel like "odd men out" instead of actual guests. So I really don't want to do that to anyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards