Wedding Reception Forum

Gah!! Last Minute Room Flip Decision...How do I...Where do I...Gah!!

Ok Ladies,

A while back when we first started planning this wedding, we were going to have our ceremony at a church, and our reception at the local community center. Plans were going great, we have everything worked out. Then a few months ago, we got a call from the church letting us know we weren't going to be able to have our ceremony there because the pastor was invited to a conference that is the same weekend as our wedding. After having several meltdowns, I adapted a screw it mentality and decided to just have the ceremony in same room where reception will be. Now, our wedding is in less than a month, and I really want to have the ceremony have a different feel than the reception. The problem is I don't really know how...

Here is what I am thinking so far (but it needs help, so chime in here).
We have the room set up with the divider up (this room is about 3300 sqft and has a collapsing wall). On one side we have the traditional ceremony setting with chairs and an aisle. On the other side we have all the tables set up (but squished together) minus the chairs. After the ceremony ends, we have a group photo op with all guest (about 120) and have the wall collapsed, and the tables and chairs set up...? But now I wondering who will do this leg work? Should I ask my caterer? Should I try to bribe the venue staff? Bribe family? Gahh!!!

Another option is just have a few app set up in the foyer, and have a few bribed family move the tables and chairs...?

Or Bribe the groomsmen, and other men from my family to move the tables and chairs while the guest mingle in foyer with apps and we (the B/G) get our photos done?

My brain is exploding trying to figure out to pull this off with the smallest shred of tactfulness. Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Gah!! Last Minute Room Flip Decision...How do I...Where do I...Gah!!

• Ok Ladies,

A while back when we first started planning this wedding, we were going to have our ceremony at a church, and our reception at the local community center. Plans were going great, we have everything worked out. Then a few months ago, we got a call from the church letting us know we weren't going to be able to have our ceremony there because the pastor was invited to a conference that is the same weekend as our wedding. After having several meltdowns, I adapted a screw it mentality and decided to just have the ceremony in same room where reception will be. Now, our wedding is in less than a month, and I really want to have the ceremony have a different feel than the reception. The problem is I don't really know how...

Here is what I am thinking so far (but it needs help, so chime in here).
    We have the room set up with the divider up (this room is about 3300 sqft and has a collapsing wall). On one side we have the traditional ceremony setting with chairs and an aisle. On the other side we have all the tables set up (but squished together) minus the chairs. After the ceremony ends, we have a group photo op with all guest (about 120) and have the wall collapsed, and the tables and chairs set up...? But now I wondering who will do this leg work? Should I ask my caterer? Should I try to bribe the venue staff? Bribe family? Gahh!!!

Another option is just have a few app set up in the foyer, and have a few bribed family move the tables and chairs...?

Or Bribe the groomsmen, and other men from my family to move the tables and chairs while the guest mingle in foyer with apps and we (the B/G) get our photos done?

My brain is exploding trying to figure out to pull this off with the smallest shred of tactfulness. Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    First, talk to the venue and make sure they can flip the room and how long it would take.  There may or may not be an extra charge to make this happen.  You should have cocktail hour set up in another space (outside? lobby?) so no one has to see the mess that will be make while the room is being flipped.

You should NOT ask/bribe your friends, family or bridal party to do this for you.  They should not have to miss out on the fun while they work.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I had this same problem. We were originally getting married at the church, that didn't work out, so now we are having the ceremony in the reception space. I was struggling because it's all one room and I couldn't figure out how to make it work. Ultimately we decided the easiest thing to do was just have everyone come in and sit at their reception tables. Our only other option was going to end up making everyone go outside and if the weather didn't cooperate we were going to have to go to the plan we have now. We figured why stress ourselves out about it.
  • There was a thread last week about this.  Here is the link: clicky.  Photokitty offered a solution just like yours.  Someone else in that thread suggested hiring some local high school kids/groups to flip the room.  But I would ask to see if anyone at the venue would take care of this for you for a small sum first.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards