Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

How to go bridesmaid dress shopping with bridesmaids all around the country?

I've finally officially asked all of my bridesmaids to be my bridesmaids, and now I'm facing the logistical problem of dress shopping. I have 2 BMs in Georgia (with me), 1 in California, 2 in Ohio, and 1 in Pennsylvania. I would take the two girls that live near me shopping, but all of my bridesmaids are shaped differently, so I won't be able to tell what looks good on everyone with just those two. I was going to just ask them all to get a certain fabric and color from a manufacturer (alfred angelo, dessy, etc - haven't decided yet), so do we need to go shopping? Or do you think they could all go individually?

Re: How to go bridesmaid dress shopping with bridesmaids all around the country?

• Options
    If you tell them to pick out their own dresses as long as they are a certain fabric, colour, length, and/or fabric from a certain manufacturer, there is no need to go dress shopping as a group.  
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going with Alfred Angelo since there's a store with a large selection that's convenient to my two OOT BM's while also being convenient for me and my local BM's. I've given them a date they need to order their dress by and their guidelines - long, chiffon, burnt orange. We also have a group Pinterest board where we've all shared some of our favorites from the designer. When my sister was engaged she sent out some emails to all the BM's with a "here's the style I'm considering" sort of tone and we were pretty much free to choose from there. In the end we all decided to go with the same dress because it was flattering on everyone and we had girls from size 0 to size 20 and from 4'11'' to 6'0. Just something to keep in mind...just because everyone is a different shape doesn't mean it isn't impossible to find a "one dress for every girl".

• Options
    If you pick a designer like AA or one from the Dessy Group that is carried in stores around the country, I think you can let them go individually. Just give them a color, fabric, and length from that designer. 

I picked a Dessy Group designer I liked and went with Bella Bridesmaids (they have locations in most major cities) so my ladies could order individually, but still got a 10% group discount. They went in, picked a dress, got measured, and ordered online. It was super easy. 
  • Options
    PDKH said:
    If you pick a designer like AA or one from the Dessy Group that is carried in stores around the country, I think you can let them go individually. Just give them a color, fabric, and length from that designer. 

I picked a Dessy Group designer I liked and went with Bella Bridesmaids (they have locations in most major cities) so my ladies could order individually, but still got a 10% group discount. They went in, picked a dress, got measured, and ordered online. It was super easy. 
    This is the easiest. I had bridesmaids all over the country (and one outside). They all went, picked out the dress they liked and got it. They all ended up picking out the same dress too, which was kind of funny. I went through David's Bridal and they got a group discount there too. 

Also, someone will try to tell you you have to order from the same store at the same time because of dye lots. Ignore that person. Because dyes are computer mixed, it won't make a difference. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've finally officially asked all of my bridesmaids to be my bridesmaids, and now I'm facing the logistical problem of dress shopping. I have 2 BMs in Georgia (with me), 1 in California, 2 in Ohio, and 1 in Pennsylvania. I would take the two girls that live near me shopping, but all of my bridesmaids are shaped differently, so I won't be able to tell what looks good on everyone with just those two. I was going to just ask them all to get a certain fabric and color from a manufacturer (alfred angelo, dessy, etc - haven't decided yet), so do we need to go shopping? Or do you think they could all go individually?
    Nope, you don't need to go dress shopping as a group if you are letting them pick their own dresses.  Just tell them what fabric type and color you want them to get, and possibly what type of hemline if you want lengths to be the same, and then they are responsible for getting their dress on their own.

If you are going to ask them to pick a dress from a particular manufacturer, you need to ask each BM individually what her max dress budget is and then be sure that the manufacturer you chose has dresses below the lowest reported budget.

I'm not sure if you even need to ask them to order their dresses by a specific date.  I am having my BM's pick their own dresses as well, and I didn't give them a deadline to order by.  They know my wedding date and I figure that if they show up on that day without a dress then I'll just meet them at the reception!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards