Attire & Accessories Forum

Help!!! I changed my mind about my dress, its only been 5 days, should they refund me?

So I bought a dress 5 days ago sort of impulsively from a lovely store. After paying $1400 deposit and going home and relooking at the photos, I realized it was not my dress and the shape is just not flattering. I would be so worried that if I didn't lose 15lbs it would look awful.

I have been emailing the store owner (its a small salon in NYC run by the two designers that own it) and he is saying that he needs to check with the factory if they have cut the fabric yet. I'm pretty sure they have not done anything in 5 days!! I'm waiting to see what he comes back with. He also said in his email that if the factory have not cut any fabric that they will credit my deposit to another dress, the problem is I really didn't like much else in the store.

Has anyone else had this problem? I really can't afford to throw $1400 away on a dress I'll never wear!! Any advice on what I should do? I definitely do not want this dress or any others in their store.

Thanks so much!
H

Re: Help!!! I changed my mind about my dress, its only been 5 days, should they refund me?

• When you put a deposit down you agree to buy the dress. You'll be lucky if they give you a credit for the deposit. Unfortunately, that's the way it works with special occasion clothes. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Unfortunately, this is generally the way it goes with bridal gowns. The reason they typically charge you a nonrefundable deposit is so that they don't lose tons of money on tons of brides who change their minds after having the salon order a dress. 

I think the credit toward another dress was a very generous offer, really. If nothing else, you can try to sell the dress you ordered. 
  • Thanks ladies. So annoyed with myself for impulse buying!! Will hopefully hear back from them tomorrow with an answer about the store credit. I hope they will let me transfer the credit to anther customer as I definitely do not want another dress from their store.
  • It's really unlikely that they'll refund you. Store credit is a maybe. But unless it's Davids bridal; your chances are slim. They order the dress as soon as you do. So they have to pay the designer even if you cancel. That's why wedding gowns are final sale.
  • Well the designers own the store and I was dealing directly with them. The one I was emailing said it was unlikely the factory had cut the fabric yet so they wouldn't have actually lost any money on their part. I can totally understand if they want to charge me a processing fee of a few hundred dollars, that's fine. I just really don't want to lose $1400 deposit for a dress I'm not going to get.
  • You should try on the dress again, because it's so hard to tell from photos how it looks on you
  • Well the designers own the store and I was dealing directly with them. The one I was emailing said it was unlikely the factory had cut the fabric yet so they wouldn't have actually lost any money on their part. I can totally understand if they want to charge me a processing fee of a few hundred dollars, that's fine. I just really don't want to lose $1400 deposit for a dress I'm not going to get.
    You say that was the deposit. . . as in you haven't paid the entire balance on the dress yet? 

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• It's up to the store if they refund you or not. 

As far as if the DO offer you credit - does the store sell other items (bridesmaid dresses, veils, jewelry, shoes, MOB dresses, etc)?  Perhaps you could use the money towards some of these other things if they are able to give you a store credit.

Anniversary
  • Can you post the pictures? It might not look bad!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • I second the picture request.

I guess I just don't understand how you could go from loving something to hating it in a 5 day stretch of time, so now I'm curious to see.
  • $1400 was the deposit, there's a balance still due. Eek I don't really want to post a pic because I'm self conscious about how it looks! I think I changed my mind because I got swept away in the moment of it and bought it with the intention of losing weight but I don't want the pressure of "what if I don't?!" hanging over me. The store does sell bridesmaids dresses etc but I didn't really see anything I was interested in. I heard back from the store today and the fabric wasn't cut (it's Chinese New Year) and they offered me credit towards another dress. I've just replied asking for a partial refund so I'll keep you updated!
  • I think you should take what you can get. You made a bad decision and now there are consequences to deal with.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • $1400 was the deposit, there's a balance still due. Eek I don't really want to post a pic because I'm self conscious about how it looks! I think I changed my mind because I got swept away in the moment of it and bought it with the intention of losing weight but I don't want the pressure of "what if I don't?!" hanging over me. The store does sell bridesmaids dresses etc but I didn't really see anything I was interested in. I heard back from the store today and the fabric wasn't cut (it's Chinese New Year) and they offered me credit towards another dress. I've just replied asking for a partial refund so I'll keep you updated!
    I think you should take the credit for the dress.  I doubt they are going to give you a partial refund, especially since you still owe them a balance.  This is the reason deposits exist.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I understand that you have dress regret, but there is no fault by the store here. "Final Sale" means exactly that and it's a term you agree to when you sign your order/receipt and make your deposit.

They are being extraordinarily generous by offering you a store credit. Most stores would just allow you to forfeit your deposit.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Can you sell the credit?  You're lucky to get that!  I don't think you're going to get a refund...that's the price you pay when you leave a deposit.
  • Not sure if I can sell the credit, that would be a good option if it's all I'm left with!
  • try on the dress again.  Whenever I look at the pics of when I was trying on dresses I picked them a part and did not like the picture after the fact.  But when MY dress came in and they fit it to me I look at every picture of me in it and fall in love with dress over and over.   See if they will "hold" on ordering it so you can try on more dresses (including that one) before you actually decide you do not like it.  Was anyone with you when you bought it?  Can you get a second opinion?  That is why posting may get you some "outside opinions" so you have nothing to be self conscious about.

Anniversary

• does this store only carry gowns exclusive to this designer or do they carry other brands. is there a gown from this designer that you love but they dont have it can they get it on loan for you.?

are there other dresses in the store you can try on i would try on this dress again, make an apt try on some more dresses leave the one you deposited for last try that on and see how you feel

i know when i went shopping at one salon i fell in love with 2 dresses went to another salon and could not get one of the 2 dresses out of my head this salon had nothing close so went to the first salon and purchased the dress
  • I too have concerns about my weight and think 'I'll lose some weight before the wedding' as well -- but the thing is - the shape of the dresses that look good on you will remain.  Find a dress that fits you and suits you now - If you lose the weight, you'll still look good in it after it's altered.

Also - we are our own worst critics.  There's a dress I tried on and lots of people around me loved it but I wasn't 100% comfortable in it, so I walked away from all the dresses.  I know it's still there if I want to go back and try it on - but I don't want to feel that friends/consultants are pushing me towards a dress.

My advice is to go back to the store - try that dress on and just ask the consultant to pick a few that she feel would suit you.  Maybe even start at square one - go to a salon, tell them you want to try on different shapes - get a feel for which shapes you like and which ones you don't like then look at the details and move forward.

Anniversary
  • If they're designers, and you didn't like anything in the store, will they put your deposit towards something custom?

When I tried on my dress I loved it and so obviously I got it. After I left the shop, I promptly forgot what it looked like (and didn't write down my style number, so I really could not find pictures online) and pretty much was panicking until I had my first fitting. Lucky for me, as soon as I had it back on, I was in love again. Maybe you're just having dress regret and its unwarranted. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had a few dresses that I loved in the store, but didn't like as much in photos later.  I think some of the dresses just weren't photogenic. Then there were some that I didn't like so much in the store, but loved in the photos when I was looking at them the next day.  Luckily, I made myself sleep on it and wait at least overnight before ordering anything.  I also sent the photos to my BM's and mom (they all live across country) and wasn't willing to purchase anything until I got their feedback.

They will most likely let you transfer the credit to someone else.  So, you may want to see if you can find someone else that would be interested in buying it from you (probably for reduced price) or see if you can sell the credit online to someone.  You may be able to put offer on craigslist of Knot classified. 

• Thanks everyone for such nice helpful comments! The store returned $900 of the $1400 deposit so I'm pretty happy with that. I also found my DREAM dress in another store and bought this so I'm really happy with my decision :)! Roll on August!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards