Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

how much?

my fiance and i have decided upon cupcakes to serve at our wedding. we are also making our own cupcakes (well, my mother and grandmother with my help). we are trying to decided on how many we should make. i am not sure how to figure that out. do we assume one per person? little more, little less?

Re: how much?

• @heatherjoy1187

I would factor at least 1 1/2 per person since some people may have 2 and some may not have one. I personally would do 2 per person. That way you might have some left over for after the wedding.
  • I think I'd do 2 per person, maybe even 3 -- especially if you're doing multiple flavors.  Homemade cupcakes tend to be on the small side in my experience, at least compared to the bakeries I've seen cupcakes from recently.  If you're offering multiple flavors, I'd count on people wanting to try more than one.
  • Just a caution to share with you.  Will your venue/caterer allow food to be brought in from a non-licensed, non-commercial kitchen?

Many years ago we had a bride  here whose grandmother made ALL the family wedding cakes.  That bride did not check with her venue and when grandma arrived with a cake to serve 300 guests she was turned away because the cake didn't come from a licensed, commercial kitchen.  There was no cake for the wedding.

Please make sure you double check on this so you don't end up in her situation!

• I would also do two cupcakes per person.

Anniversary
  • If you only want to decorate enough cupcakes for one cupcake per person then maybe look into buying a few jumbo muffin pans and make larger cupcakes then just your average size homemade cupcakes.

• 1 large pp
    1.5 average size pp
    4 mini-cupcakes.pp

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I just sent them an email to ask about bringing in my own cake, thank you for bringing that up!! I didn't even think of that!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards