Catholic Weddings
Options

Interesting Gallup Poll

41% of those polled stated that they were "pro choice", down from 47% last July. (included everyone, not just Catholics,,

Support of gay rights is at 80% of those Catholics polled.  It didn't say what last year was.

opinions?

Re: Interesting Gallup Poll

• Options
    That's really interesting to me that the pro-choice number declined. I wonder why?

• Options
    I love that the pro-choice number declined. That's awesome!
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    A read about that - I think it was interesting. the article I read mentioned a separate Gallup poll that found that just 38 percent of Americans found abortion to be "morally acceptable," compared with 51 percent that said it was "morally wrong." 

That poll also showed the strong gap in moral acceptability between political parties—52 percent of Democrats said it was morally acceptable vs. only 22 percent of Republicans.

The key shift in the "pro-choice" poll was among Independents. They swung 16 points—10 points down in "pro-choice," six points up in "pro-life."

I've had friends change their tune in recent years. One, who is very political realized that the reasons she feels people need access to abortions are relly only prevalent in 3rd world countries and not in the US where we have the resources, culture and knowledge to avoid them. I thought that was interesting, too.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_interesting-gallup-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:0fbd8701-e99c-4a41-8e62-17d5c95bf3f9Post:b0929828-5e01-4f92-839e-7b8267a3e99f">Re: Interesting Gallup Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]A read about that - I think it was interesting. the article I read mentioned a separate Gallup poll that found that just 38 percent of Americans found abortion to be "morally acceptable," compared with 51 percent that said it was "morally wrong."  That poll also showed the strong gap in moral acceptability between political parties—52 percent of Democrats said it was morally acceptable vs. only 22 percent of Republicans. The key shift in the "pro-choice" poll was among Independents. They swung 16 points —10 points down in "pro-choice," six points up in "pro-life." I've had friends change their tune in recent years. One, who is very political realized that the reasons she feels people need access to abortions are relly only prevalent in 3rd world countries and not in the US where we have the resources, culture and knowledge to avoid them. I thought that was interesting, too.
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

phew

Good to  know it's not just me getting more mellow as I age :)
  • Options
    Aaand TK ate some posts.  Gah.

I think the fact that the pro-choice numbers declined is AWESOME
  • Options
    I'm excited every time I hear that pro choice numbers are down and pro choice numbers are up.  Of course, many will try to argue that the poll was somehow flawed, but ultimately, the more truth that gets out there, the more people that are swayed to being pro life.
  • Options
    In the article I read, the poll also showed that people who think abortion should be legal outnumber those who think it should be illegal, and the number hasn't changed.

So, really, it's a superficial change in terminology.  More people are identifying as pro-life, but they still don't want to make abortion illegal.

As for the "gay rights" thing... I think that's really vague.  I support gay rights, such as housing, employment, military service, etc.  But I don't see marriage as a right.  I think a distinction needs to be made.

SaveSave
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_interesting-gallup-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0fbd8701-e99c-4a41-8e62-17d5c95bf3f9Post:115d7f0f-ab86-4ed1-badf-77d8ad69720b">Re: Interesting Gallup Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In the article I read, the poll also showed that people who think abortion should be legal outnumber those who think it should be illegal, and the number hasn't changed. So, really, it's a superficial change in terminology.  More people are identifying as pro-life, but they still don't want to make abortion illegal. As for the "gay rights" thing... I think that's really vague.  I support gay rights, such as housing, employment, military service, etc.  But I don't see marriage as a right.  I think a distinction needs to be made.
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

I do agree that nothing has really changed as far as Americans who don't want to see abortion made illegal.  However, I am an optimist and I am encouraged that people are starting to be more friendly to being pro-life.  I am also encouraged that friends who call themselves pro-choice show a lot of hesitation as to how pro-choice they are.  Almost all my friends who are pro-choice say they could never have an abortion themselves.  While I wish less people were pro-choice, I am encouraged that people are starting to see the light.

I also agree with you on the need for differentiation of gay rights. 
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Options

what is also skewed is there are some who are pro-life yet still support things like IVF and embryonic stem cell research. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_interesting-gallup-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:0fbd8701-e99c-4a41-8e62-17d5c95bf3f9Post:a30b9b38-d64e-4c96-866d-fe08ad055f83">Re: Interesting Gallup Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]what is also skewed is there are some who are pro-life yet still support things like IVF and embryonic stem cell research. 
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I'm pro life and I support IVF.  I've found a good number of priests who feel the same way but as I do, keep that personal opinion to myself.  I would give my opinion to someone doing a poll as well.

I support stem cell research if it''s using adult stem cells or cells taken from an existing line.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards