Wedding Woes

WEDDING STRESS!!! AHHHHHH!!!!

Hey Brides!

I know about how ridiculously stressful weddings can get (I cried non-stop throughout my engagement), so I started a blog detailing how to be wary of possible stressors.  Check it out!  And I'd love to know what specific stresses you have experienced, so I can gather all these details in one place, and hopefully help other brides avoid emotional break-downs!

Re: WEDDING STRESS!!! AHHHHHH!!!!

• @knotporsha

Vendor!

I put salt in my coffee this morning, I need to be pissy.
  • I cried non-stop throughout my engagement

really?

• I cried once during my engagement.  I was the stressor and being a brat.  Thankfully my mom forgave me.
  • dude, salt in coffee is the saddest thing ever.

(My coffee got cold while my child cried about not WANTING to go to grandmas, she awnted to stay home and play.  Which is extra fun because she asked if she could stay home and play tomorrow and I answered "tomorrow is Friday, (and she started to get excited), so momma will be with you all day, but we have to go to the eye doctors (2 hour drive) tomorrow.  So we'll play in the fort in their waiting room [they have an AWESOME waiting room]".  That was not the answer she wanted, she wants to be home and play.  bah.
    The coffee was basically undrinkable but I forced 1/2 of it down.)
  • the saddest part of my day is when my coffee cup is empty
  • I cried twice (so far). The night I got engaged-when I told my dad and my best friend. I was just so happy I couldn't help it and seeing my dad tear up sent me over that edge. And once while at school. I was listening to first dance songs and just imagining being with him and how that would feel on my wedding day and it hit me how lucky I am and how much I miss him (long distance sucks) and I cried. Both happyish cries and neither from stress.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTT said:
    @knotporsha

Vendor!

I put salt in my coffee this morning, I need to be pissy.
    I woke up last Friday to realise I had meant to buy coffee filters and had forgotten. Thankfully, we have a French press coffee maker for emergencies like this, but it was still a Very Bad Morning.
    GBCK said:
    dude, salt in coffee is the saddest thing ever.

(My coffee got cold while my child cried about not WANTING to go to grandmas, she awnted to stay home and play.  Which is extra fun because she asked if she could stay home and play tomorrow and I answered "tomorrow is Friday, (and she started to get excited), so momma will be with you all day, but we have to go to the eye doctors (2 hour drive) tomorrow.  So we'll play in the fort in their waiting room [they have an AWESOME waiting room]".  That was not the answer she wanted, she wants to be home and play.  bah.
    The coffee was basically undrinkable but I forced 1/2 of it down.)
    I annoy DH and my mother by drinking coffee all day long, even when it's cold.
    rikysegal said:
    the saddest part of my day is when my coffee cup is empty
    YES! So much this. So. So. SOOOOOO much this.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Actually, the blog is about avoiding the stressful situations I found myself in, not giving advice about dealing with stress.  Wedding planning usually involves many people with a lot of opinions, and spending a lot of money.  Both of those factors can get overwhelming, and I certainly respect and understand those who do not breeze through it.  If you are one of the lucky people who didn't have to deal with unexpected difficulties with family, guests, or vendors, than I am extremely happy for you, and simultaneously ridiculously jealous.  I was only trying to reach out to brides who want re-assurance that they aren't alone in feeling frustrated when outside factors diminish the ease and enjoyment of wedding planning.  
  • Actually, the blog is about avoiding the stressful situations I found myself in, not giving advice about dealing with stress.  Wedding planning usually involves many people with a lot of opinions, and spending a lot of money.  Both of those factors can get overwhelming, and I certainly respect and understand those who do not breeze through it.  If you are one of the lucky people who didn't have to deal with unexpected difficulties with family, guests, or vendors, than I am extremely happy for you, and simultaneously ridiculously jealous.  I was only trying to reach out to brides who want re-assurance that they aren't alone in feeling frustrated when outside factors diminish the ease and enjoyment of wedding planning.  
    I think that is what the knot is for...
  • The only time I have cried during my engagement is because my dad has cancer and I am legit worried he won't be there on my wedding day.

People need perspective sometimes. Seriously.

• I think that is what the knot is for…
    Absolutely! However, the homepage of "The Knot" has links to sections of the site about dresses, rings, venues, photographers, etc.  It doesn't discuss the potential for things in your life to change when you are planning a party a year and a half out (family members getting divorced, loved ones getting sick, you or your fiancé losing your job).  The knot is a fantastic resource for wedding planning, but less so for anticipating how the factors in your life will impact wedding planning.  Of course there are the discussion boards, but sometimes it is hard for people to reveal their frustrations, even anonymously, for fear of judgment.  The fact that I said in my initial post that "I cried non-stop throughout my engagement" and commentors clearly assumed that those tears were about the wedding itself (not liking my venue, or being indecisive about a dress or something), instead of the fear that I felt about my aunt in the hospital (who has since passed away), my dad's cancer returning, and the overwhelming guilt of asking my parents for money, shows how quick we are to assume the worst in others.  I write for myself, and by posting about my blog, I was just trying to open up the dialogue.  
  • And we're really not interested, thanks. We don't assume the worst of others. We're just suspicious of newbie posters who come here to hawk things.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • You came here to get hits.  Monetized yet?
  • You are correct in that I am a first time poster, because I was dumb and didn’t reach out to other brides when I was stressed out and upset, for fear of judgment.  I didn’t intend to insult anyone, I was merely trying to say (in a poorly worded manner) that things can get misinterpreted, and people can misconstrue thoughts, so writing on a forum can be intimidating. 

However, I do think we have inherently different definitions of wedding stress.  I consider worrying about your parents not being able to walk you down the aisle, or worrying someone who really cares about you being absent on your wedding day, to be wedding stress.   I consider feeling guilt about taking money from people like parents or in-laws, or feeling confused about whether or not it is acceptable to invite someone you love, but who is not longer part of your family due to divorce, to be wedding stress.

I haven’t told my family or friends about what I’ve been writing because it is honest and an outlet I am not really ready to share with them.   The number of hits doesn’t matter to me at all, because it is purely a hobby.  I love my full-time job, which takes, up most of my time and I only posted on this forum to reach out, not to offend.   I totally understand your mistrust, but that was my only intention.  And I totally apologize if the title was misleading.  I didn’t put as much thought into the header as I should have.  

• This whole board is pretty much for exactly what you are describing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards