Registry and Gift Forum

Macy's - What products are they best known for? And what are the things worth buying there?

I'm not all that familiar with Macy's besides what I see in their commercials and what I hear from others. My fiance and I were recently given a $1000 gift card for Macy's. I know I can register for anything I'd like but I want to get things at Macy's that they are best known for or things that would be better to get there than registering for at other places since we have $1000 to spend. I don't want to get towels at Macy's if I can register for basic towels at Target that will do the same job for half the cost. Hope that makes sense...?  
So far I've heard that we should definitely get nicer china there...Any other suggestions?

Re: Macy's - What products are they best known for? And what are the things worth buying there?

• I guess to clarify, really, this post is to help me decide what we should buy at Macy's with our gift card so we know what to put on our cheaper registry.
  • The things we registered for at Macy's are not Macy's exclusives (dishes, food processor, etc.), so I don't have suggestions for particular things, but I would encourage you to register at Macy's.  People might prefer to shop there, and then you can buy the rest of the items with your GC and get a completion discount.  Also, Macy's has some big sales--like buy one, get one free on china place settings--so look out for those and don't buy full price.  
  • Honestly, the towels are there a freaking sweet. You might want to consider them. If I were you, I'd take a day to go in and look around (if possible). A lot of the stuff they have that's nice isn't necessarily exclusive though.

Anniversary
  • Looking around is a good idea.  You might be able to find some things you can use for the wedding too like shoes, accessories, etc.

• @chibiyui - do you remember what brand of towels you saw there that you really liked? 

Thanks everyone for the advice!
  • .........................................No..................FI might have swiped them from his Mom..........................................................

Anniversary
  • Macy's hotel collection is excellent - they do towels, sheets, other bedding, etc.  It can be $$$ but frankly most nice linens are expensive these days.  Other than Macy's, I love pottery barn for linens.  But that's pretty much it without spending a breathtaking amount of money.

Bonus: January is the white sale (linens) time of year for most stores.  I haven't checked to see if Macy's is running any deals right now on their linens, but they probably are.

Other than that, you might want to consider saving the gift card until after the wedding and seeing what you don't get.  H and I had our Macy's registry nearly cleaned out, including the $$$ sheets.  If your circle is big on cash gifts then this might not matter, but it seems silly to spend that gift card on something that people will be willing to buy you anyway in a few months.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh one other thing.  With that gift card you could probably afford a nice set of All-Clad (or other triply) pots and pans.  Those things will outlive you if use them correctly.  With that I might create a registry there either now or later just for the pots/pans to get the completion discount since they never go on sale anywhere.  It would probably save you sales tax.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Macy's also has a rewards program for your registry. You get either 5% or 10% (I can't remember which) back on a gift card for everything that is purchased off of your registry after your wedding. So if you create a registry there and then use your $1,000 gift card to purchase stuff off it you could potentially get another $100 back from Macy's in another gift card after your wedding.
  • Macy's also has a rewards program for your registry. You get either 5% or 10% (I can't remember which) back on a gift card for everything that is purchased off of your registry after your wedding. So if you create a registry there and then use your $1,000 gift card to purchase stuff off it you could potentially get another $100 back from Macy's in another gift card after your wedding.
    It's both.  :)  

If you have a Macy's credit card you get 10% of purchases that YOU make on your Macy's card between opening up your registry and your wedding.  That 10% comes back as a gift card a few months after the wedding. You will also get 5% of anything bought off of your registry.

If you spend $100 on clothes for your shower outfit and put it on your card then you will earn $10 back later.  When your Grandma spends $200 in china from your registry you get $10 back later no matter how they choose to pay for it.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • @AprilH81 - Thank you. I knew there were two different percentages, but I couldn't remember at the time exactly how it worked.
  • @AprilH81 - Thank you. I knew there were two different percentages, but I couldn't remember at the time exactly how it worked.
    And for further clarification if the OP used the $1000 gift card on registry items she would get 5% back since it wouldn't be charged to her Macy's card.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I don't know if you are into barware, but we got a cute decanter and glasses from the Kate Spade line at Macy's that the glasses say "yours", "mine" and/or "his" "hers, and the decanter says "ours."  It was a cute set and somewhat pricey. 

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards